counter-cyclical heroes

The Civs 6

King
Right now, as far as I can tell, heroes are a function of exploration (to find heroes) and production (to get them). Therefore, they are a function of your civs strengths - after all, you either build scouts and units to explore the map or you spend hammers to find the heroes.

But the thing about legends and myths is that heroes usually show up during crises. Hercules shows up when he has to do the 12 labors, King Arthur when England is lawless, Mulan, to defeat the Huns. And so on.

My proposal is to make heroes attainable only when you trigger certain losing conditions. For example, you might only get King Arthur if you are the last person to research political philosophy. I'm not well versed with the non-western heroes so I can't really make up conditions for them off the top of my head. The gameplay idea is to make Heroes a balance against early game supremacy, a way to save yourself from a fail state, or just a fun reward for not following the usual 4x path.

Some conditions might be:
  • Losing a city or a percentage of your empire
  • Having your holy city converted
  • Missing out on a wonder by like 1 turn (maybe to get Hercules)

Reactions: PiR
Missing out on a wonder by like 1 turn (maybe to get Hercules)
That is the most disappointing thing ever when it happens, but I would be alot less upset if I got Hercules as a consolation prize. Haha.

I think the heroes are unbalanced. Hercules and Maui are by far the best. Then the one that gives you 8 envoys and Sinbad would be next. Half of the military heroes are pretty meh.

Top Bottom