crapy windows seven ruining civ time

hillcrestpk2001

Chieftain
Hi guys my computer went, so bought a lap top with the all great windows 7 and my two fav games are civ2 and the original colonization my laptop wont even recongise my civ disk is there any help i tried copying the disk to the hard drive still no luck plus downloaded a patch still no good there has to be something please help:confused:

Did you search this subforum? This problem has been discussed on numerous occasions. Let me guess: you're trying to install classic Civ2, a 16-bit program, on a 64-bit version of Windows 7? No can do; 16-bit and 64-bit architectures are not compatible. I'm lazy, so I'll quote myself from another thread:
Catfish said:
Currently, the only way around this problem seems to be virtualisation software (eg, Windows Virtual PC/Windows XP Mode, VMware and VirtualBox) or dual-booting with a 32-bit version of Windows. All except for Windows XP Mode (available for Windows 7 Professional or higher) will require a spare 32-bit Windows licence.
Civ2 Multi-player Gold Edition (MGE) and Test of Time (ToT), both 32-bit programs, will work on Windows 7 64-bit with the help of a 3rd-party patch.

If this is in fact about classic Civ2 and you still have your Windows 3.1 disks, another option is to install Windows 3.1 under DOSBox. (I suppose you will need DOSBox anyway to get Colonization to run.) You can install and run classic Civ2 under Windows 3.1 within DOSBox on a Windows 7 64 bit machine.

Catfish, the only problem I'm having with running CivII on my new Windows7 operating system is that when I try to name cities myself, the program shuts down. Will the patch you mention fix that? Are there any other problems that I might see but haven't yet?

Is Gareth on these forums anywhere? Gareth, if you're out there, I'd appreciate a communication. Please send me a PM and I'll send you a new email addy. It's Phenix, btw. Been away awhile cuz the old system finally gave out.

Catfish, the only problem I'm having with running CivII on my new Windows7 operating system is that when I try to name cities myself, the program shuts down. Will the patch you mention fix that? Are there any other problems that I might see but haven't yet?
It fixes a crash associated with the Editbox control. That'll appear when you build or rename a city. Presumably the patch handles all occurrences within the game. I only briefly tested it with ToT on a 64-bit version of Windows 7 Ultimate. I also ran the game successfully in Windows XP Mode. The only other problem I encountered in Windows 7 (32-bit and 64-bit) related to video play-back. The Indeo codecs are not supported from Vista onwards. See here.

Is Gareth on these forums anywhere? Gareth, if you're out there, I'd appreciate a communication. Please send me a PM and I'll send you a new email addy. It's Phenix, btw. Been away awhile cuz the old system finally gave out.
I'm pretty sure he said he'd forgotten the password to his CFC account, but he's still posting at Apolyton - posted there the other day.

Gareth, you can read without posting, so I'll leave this here; I forgot my password too, but used the contact button to inquire if the power-that-be here would send it to me so that I could start posting again. Told 'em who I was and they were very friendly and forthcoming, with the result you see here. Did the same thing on ACS but haven't heard from them yet. Get in touch if you can.

Top Bottom