Crash in Civ Beyond Earth After Selecting Seeding Options

I had recently posted the info below in the general forum, before realizing there actually is a tech support forum. Anyway it seems I have the same issue using my Nvidia GeForce 9500 GT. Full report of my experience is below.

I played Civ BE for about 2 weeks before deciding to shelf it until a major update came out for it. Great potential, bad execution. Now I reinstalled the game and got the patch and it now freezes and/or closes right when the green start button appears after setting up a new game.

I have attempted many fixes myself, which included
- Uninstalling and re-installing distributables
- Making sure Direct X is updated
- Making sure video drivers and windows are updated
- Deleting the config.ini file
- Changing in game resolution
- Changing from full screen to windowed

Finally I decided that this was a good excuse to reformat my computer and start from scratch - something I try to make a habit to do every 2 years anyway. Then of course I spent a couple of days getting everything reinstalled and up to date. Finally get around to reinstalling Civ BE... and alas! Same problem.

PC is well within requirements, but is about 5 years old. Since I played this flawlessly when it first came out I highly doubt it is due to hardware.

So now I'm out of ideas. Hopefully one of you guys from the community can help me. Any help will be appreciated

See this link:
https://steamcommunity.com/app/65980/discussions/0/619569341115048041/#p128

Essentially:
1. Go to properties tab for Civ:BE (right click on it in your steam library and select properties).
2. Go to the BETAS tab.
3. Enter the beta code "legacyplease" (no quotation marks).
4. From the drop down box, select "Legacy - Previous Release Build"
5. It will download an update, rolling back to the previous build of the game (unpatched, it looks like).
6. Once the update is downloaded, run the game.

I tried it quickly to see if it worked and was able to load and play the game again. Only played a couple of turns to test but that was more than I was able to play with the patched version. Better than not being able to play at all. Hope this helps some of you.

I haven't tried this 'quick fix' of rolling back to pre-patch because it's not the point. I want to travel First Class in what should be a First Class game.

Instead, having the option to roll back to initial release status - with all its flaws and poor balance - feels like being offered Steerage passage on the TITANIC!!

All the more annoying since I already paid for First Class! :mad:

Reading up on this a bit, it sounds like the problem could stem from the patch having changed something so that older GPUs are no longer properly supported. If that's the case, well, I suppose the patch/game can't really be blamed for that, but I do find it very disappointing. The game ran fine (though with some graphical corruptions) in the initial release version on my 9800M GT so it seems very odd that a patch would be issued that breaks support of older GPUs.

Instead of just venting it would be more useful if you help identify what the problem is. What is your GPU - do you have an older card?

The issue with crashes post patch is simply a matter of video card compatibility, basically most of you would have a Nvidia 250, 270, 280, 320, 9500, 9800 and others before the 350 series which was, and this is the key, The first of the DirectX 11 compatible cards. Meaning if you have any video card earlier than the 350 your game will not work with the patch.

Basically when they fixed the DirectX11 problems which prevented the 1080P resolution it also made the game unreadable to any card that couldn't run DirectX11.

There is only 1 way to fix the post-patch crashing, buy a newer more up to date video card capable of full DirectX11 compatibility. That is what I did and have been enjoying flawless gameplay ever since.

Note: The system requirements for Beyond Earth have always been and only been for DirectX11, if you managed to run it before the patch without the required hardware then, like me, you got lucky. No amount of complaining will get this fixed it truly is a problem you have to throw money at, don't blame Firaxis either, coz they always stated DirectX11 only and had no other support for anything else.

@Faithisreason: This does not relate to your problem at all, this is only for the post-patch crashers...However I would be left to suspect a number of hardware failures for your problem, most likely in one of three places, the CPU, the Motherboard or the Graphics Card. Without being able to physically test the components under load I can't say for sure but I would be that something in Beyond Earth uses a part of your chipsets in a way nothing else does (after all they have some very individual programming, hence the DirectX11 anomaly) and your computer cries when this happens. With all that you have done and the modified way Windows handles data these days I doubt you could do anything from a software standpoint to achieve anything, even formatting windows probably wouldn't really help, it'd just mean you'd spend hours setting everything back up the way you want it, just to find out that your game still won't work.

My suggestion for you is get your PC to a hardware technician and have them look over it, ohhh there is a possibility it could be a Memory issue too but usually memory errors will cause specific errors. Just remember a single drop of solder or two copper channels running too close together can cause unreliable stability and random critical fails. :)

Edit: Post Patch Crashers: If you can't afford a new video card then I would suggest you follow Taian13's quick fix and at least be able to play until you can afford a new video card.

Yeah, Firaxis obviously can't be blamed if it's a matter of using too old hardware. There was this posted, though:

Crazy twist, my system is dual boot and under windows the game is broken post-patch but under macOS it apparently works fine with the patch. Graphics card is the nvidia 9400M on a macbook.

... which would suggest it isn't a matter of hardware problems, but software, as simply using another OS resolves the problem.

Well the 9500 GT is fully compatible with DX 11 so while an update involving DX11 may be the culprit, having outdated hardware is not.

Also I am sure at least half of people have older hardware than I - it is highly unlikely they purposely cut off half of their player base.

Just wanted to start a CIV:BE game with 2 friends of mine. For the past 2 hours, they were happily playing the game while I had the same problem like faithisreason and apparently a couple of other players. Now I downgraded to the legacy version and AT LEAST the single player option works again for me. But when I tried joining my friends' game, it refused because we have different versions.

Boy, am I longing for those good old CIV IV times, when playing with different patch levels just raised a notice, but was possible nevertheless.

+1 for fixing this bug, Firaxis!

I have been having this problem as well, and I have an NVidia GTS 240 card, which does not support DirectX11. Rolling back the patch via the legacy beta made the game work. I'll get a new card eventually to see if that improves things.

@Strategist83: The way MacOS handles directX requests is hugely different from how Widnows does so I guess I should have said that my advice only applies to Windows users, but most people have known Mac and PC software aren't interchangeable without emulation or porting so sorry for the assumption. So I guess I should say, get a new video card or get a MacOS based system, or dual boot it.

@ilikemyidea: I'm not sure where you have gotten the information that the 9500GT is DirectX11 capable because I have looked through a lot of specification documentation, benchmarks and such and none of them say that the 9500GT will even look at DirectX11, it cuts off at DirectX10 and even then only has 87% capability. My card which was a 9800GT had full DX10 support but still nothing for DX11 and it was of newer design than the 9500GT. Please provide evidence of your statement.

Edit: Due to the alternate methods Linux/Unix and MacOS handle graphics requests their version do not suffer this problem, Windows with its many faults has holes in its DirectX code which mean that there are always bugs and problems...Remember Linux/Unix and MacOS are also IMMUNE to viruses which should tell you about their stability and compatability in comparison to Windows.

2nd Edit: On a side note the patch for the Mac version of Beyond Earth only came out today so Angkor t. Wat couldn't have been playing the updated Mac version, yes he probably had the updated PC version but that wouldn't run in MacOS since the file systems are completely different, the only possibility is running emulation software for windows under MacOS but when you've setup on a dual boot system emulating anything is just pointless, just change OS and use Windows instead or vice versa.

I have the same issue as OP ! Except it only started after the patch I think (I ve been too busy to play past 3 weeks or so)

EDIT: nvidia 9800gt here but still the game is not supposed to force me to buy a graphic card !
EDIT2 : my wife has a 9500GT her game is crashed too !

Karmah: Sorry mate but you've got the same card I had and it isn't DirectX11 compatible.

It's not so much the game that is causing you to buy a new video card, it's time that is the major factor, you've had your video card/s for too much time, and due to technological progression it has become obsolete, so now it's time to get a new one. I understand how hard it can be to let go of those things you paid money for (I'm a collector of assorted things in my spare time) but sometime you have to admit it's time for change.

The hardest thing for most to accept about this is that in the past we have replaced computer hardware because A: It's too slow or B: It's damaged. However now we are seeing less advancement in hardware and more along the lines of software development, so a new version of DirectX could quite easily make a card obsolete as the chipset can't be upgraded to handle the new request types and data transmissions. The chances that this will occur in two years time when DirectX12 becomes standard are very high, after all I bought the 9800GT to support DirectX10 now a 750GT for DirectX11. Just remember software updates a lot easier than hardware so it's easy that an application can no longer work after an update especially when utilizing out-dated hardware with new software, the newest drives aren't always your best friend.

Edit: For those that don't already know, almost any piece of computer hardware you buy will be defined as "obsolete" within a year of release, back in the glory days of computer advancement it was a window of 3 months so there's a bonus, we already get an extra 9 months over what we got 13 years ago. If you're buying the latest games and not upgrading your video card at least every two years you will run into problems eventually. If you don't want the latest games then waiting 5 years between upgrades is sensible, if you're a techno-hater and don't like to use the internet but have to, then any old dinosaur will do. :)

I suppose you're right Rayki. I was tricked into thinking because my direct x is upgraded to 11 that meant my video card would use it. In the old days it didn't even let you install if you didn't have the right video card for it.

Upon further investigation while my card has robust Direct X compatibility up to 10, none for 11.

But in the end, I still see this as a pretty dumb move. I am not some troll who just gets angry every time a game is outside of my specs... but I do think it's lazy to not support more than just the most recent version of Direct X. Especially considering direct X hasn't really evolved much in its last few version (9 was the last true upgrade) and aside from this one game there isn't much incentive to put DX 11 first on the priorities list.

I guess this really just is further proof that Civ BE was rushed to completion in late Alpha and lazy tactics resulted.

Karmah: Sorry mate but you've got the same card I had and it isn't DirectX11 compatible.

It's not so much the game that is causing you to buy a new video card, it's time that is the major factor, you've had your video card/s for too much time, and due to technological progression it has become obsolete, so now it's time to get a new one. I understand how hard it can be to let go of those things you paid money for (I'm a collector of assorted things in my spare time) but sometime you have to admit it's time for change.

uh? Sorry but I play every game I own perfectly game and until the last patch it was ok for civBE too who is not more graphic hungry than say a MMO like elder scroll online who is not so old after all.

I check the spec of the game before buying it , my graphic card is above the prequisite so, if they want to write code with their feet it s not my issue. I ll force reimbursement and that will be it with civBE for me. All of my game works perfectly, I can live without CivBE. I ll update my graphic card next year or so WHEN IT ILL BE REQUIRED.
Right now it is only for the lazy bunch of fireaxis coders.

So in making that statement I realise you never read the system requirements on the box/packaging/website/steam and did not realise that one of the main graphical requirements of Civilization: Beyond Earth is that it needs DirectX11 and does not list compatibility anywhere with DirectX10 (Unlike the majority of games available these days, those other ones that run fine, like all my other games). This is good forward thinking of Firaxis' part as opposed to bad code, they understand the progression and that in 5 years time people will still be able to play their game without patches/hotfixes to bypass no longer supported graphics technology like DirectX10 which is already on the out.

I understand your disappointment but I believe the aggression in your statement is unwarranted and unsupported as the fact of the matter is the 9800GT has never supported DirectX11, I know because that was my card and I looked through a hefty amount of specs and saw absolutely no support for DirectX11 and a number of statements telling me in black and white that the 9800GT is not compatible.

Just a quick explanation, the amount of memory your card has and clock speed types mean very little when it comes to DirectX11, they are simply resources to be used, what matters is types of data requests your GPU has to manage, if they are foreign to the GPU then the graphics card can't handle them and will cause errors. DirectX11 calls functions not supported by older GPU's, they weren't soldered in there when the Chip was made so therefore games with complete reliance on DirectX11 and all it's wonderful features will not work with graphics cards unable to handle DirectX11 support. It's like going to KFC and ordering a Big Mac, that does not compute. :)

When you change your graphic card for a game , it s usually that 1.its time has run out and 2.that the game graphics will be so astonishing that you ll miss out. CivBE does not enter into this category , even with force. No other games forces me to upgrade so far.

The directX11 argument is a more than a bit fallacious. I mean it s written explicitly 'nVidia 8800 GT or better' , mine is better .Then 'directX11' and I have directx11 installed. As a customer in all good faith they could not expect me to do the research once they led me to believe that my card was compatible. I don't work in the computer industry it s not my job. Obviously they should have done their homework and go for a minimal graphic card that supports direct X 11.
THis is key !
. WHo was I to doubt their own statement?

I don t know outside the EU but in court in Europe two things matter , good faith and expertise. Expertise is on their side , and I m in good faith. So legally they are wrong. ANd I m getting my game and my wife's reimbursed. Even if it means going in front of a tribunal. Anf yes I m pretty stubborn when I feel cheated.

My last argument would be that there is no way it was absolutely necessary to use a very new graphic instruction from a directX 11 library for a strategic game with basically no graphics. That were I say they code with their feet. I m 99,99% certain they was a workaround that could have avoided a fair share of their customer (I m pretty sure we are quite a lot judging by the threads) to have crashes with the new patch.

Spoiler :

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo 1.8 GHz or AMD Athlon X2 64 2.0 GHz
Memory: 2 GB RAM
Graphics: 256 MB ATI HD3650 or better, 256 MB nVidia 8800 GT or better, or Intel HD 3000 or better integrated graphics
DirectX: Version 11
Hard Drive: 8 GB available space
Sound Card: DirectX 9.0c‐compatible sound card
Additional Notes: Other Requirements: Initial installation requires one-time Internet connection for Steam authentication; software installations required (included with the game) include Steam Client, Microsoft Visual C++2012 Runtime Libraries and Microsoft DirectX.

EDIT: OK I give them some time. Obviously they re aware they re in the wrong (or maybe they are just being nice) , anyway they are some hopes.

Spoiler :

Thank you for contacting 2k support.

Fortunately our dev team is well aware of this issue, they are currently discussing how to handle this matter.

I cannot tell you for sure that it will be patched this month, but our dev team is doing our best to solve this problem.

Please let me know if you have other questions.

Best regards,

Joon Ho S.
2K Support
[\SPOILER]

Karmah is correct. If the game says it supports your video card, you would think it would support your video card...

Meh, I go by the fact that the game requires DirectX11 as per the system requirements on the box, and the 8800 to the 9800 don't support DirectX11, you can install DirectX11 in any version of Windows that can support it but that won't make your video card actually use its protocols. Meh not really my problem anymore since I just went for an hour long drive, bought a new 750GT for $85 from my little Asian mate johnny and Bobs your uncle I'm playing again with no hassle, no complaints, no misplaced quests for revenge, just good fun gaming. :)

You're choice how much effort you want to put in for the reward offered, whether that's your money back or a new and better video card to enjoy for years that's entirely your choice, I personally went for the new video card, quick easy, no hassles, no headaches, just good fun gaming and improved performance in my other games, woopah!! :)

Edit: If I was Firaxis I would simply amend the hardware suggestions to encompass the actual requirements of the game and simply list only cards with full DX11 support and too bad for those that don't have compatibility, it's harsh but I mean I'm surviving on 2 minute noodles, milk and bread, struggling to pay my bills and keep a roof over my head, but I scrounged together $85 so at least I've got something to keep a smile on my face, at least until I can find another job and be able to make ends meet, so really if I can do it so can others and my sympathy is naught for others unless they're in a worse situation, but with two weeks left in a house there's only the homeless and starving who suffer worse. I don't mean to insult or upset anyone with this statement, just saying humans have avoided the number 1 law of nature for long enough "Survival of the fittest", I'm forced to live it because I have no one else, just me against the world and I wouldn't have it any other way. :)

I seriously feel compassion for you. Thousands of years of civilization to end up with a society who'smotto is 'survival of the fittest', that s pretty sad and hopeless. For me it s just a bit different , we are two gamers with two kids so everything is under budget :) next graphic card changes is in 6 month and we go for long lasting top cards everytime we change so it s 300 to 500 euros investment who wasn't planned for civBE. With info that it wouldn't work we wouldn't have bought it now and waited for a sale 6 months+ from now.

Fair enough, your reasons are your own and I need no justification for your actions, I'm just another PC user somewhere in cyberspace. Sorry if I offended you in any way, I was simply giving my hours of research and hardware knowledge to the community in the hopes it would help people find their way, it is not mine to chose for others what advice they will take or leave, I only offer what I have discovered for anyone to use any way they want. Each to their own.

Off topic (and my last post on this because I don't need to argue truths): When it comes to the future of mankind I don't think emotions count for much, at this rate we'll just breed ourselves to extinction so what's more sad and hopeless? Coddle the weak and enable the useless and end up extinct, or he who stands last stands tallest and a continued human existence for millennia with a single world sustainability? I personally am for the continuation of our race as opposed to extinction.

Top Bottom