Crashing Multiplayer? - Info on Firewalls, Routers and Proxies

I am also running behind a linksys befsr41 router. Can someone please tell me how I go about opening up the ports I need to host a game and use voice chat? I can join games fine, although the direct IP feature doesnt seem to work for me. Anyway, any help you can provide would be great. Thanks!

Thanks for all the info. I have at last managed to host a game.

I switched on the GameSpy recommended ports. But I set them all as TCP ports - none as UDP (my first mistake?)

• 6667 (IRC)
• 3783 (Voice Chat Port)
• 27900 (Master Server UDP Heartbeat)
• 28900 (Master Server List Request)
• 29900 (GP Connection Manager)
• 29901 (GP Search Manager)
• 13139 (Custom UDP Pings)
• 6515 (Dplay UDP)
• 6500 (Query Port)

No Joy, so after reading this thread I added a few more ports, namely

2302 TCP (Directplay)
6500 UDP
13139 UDP
27900 UDP

Not sure which of these extras did the trick, but obviuously one or more of them did. I will experiment further and start dropping out ports to see which are not required.

BTW. I am behind a hardware router DSL-504, on which all of these "Port redirects" can quite easily be done using the web configuration utility.

ColDark

Whoops. Correction on that. Still can't host on Gamespy. Managed to host Direct IP though.

ColDark

Does anyone have voice working? I have the voice port forwarded, and everything else seems to work fine in multiplayer, but my opponenet cannot hear me.

The mic works fine in the control panel and other games. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Tai

Nope: But for my future reference which is the voice port - and is it tcp or udp?

Chizz

ColDark

• 3783 (Voice Chat Port)

Not sure which it is, I forwarded both :)

Can someone help me please?? My dad recently installed ZoneAlarm and i didn't think much about it. So i tried to play a couple games of PTW and it didn't let me. So than i learned that it was a firewall and it was preventing me from playing over the internet! So now i went to the gamespy support page or something and it said to put the ZoneAlarm program control thing on low. Did that and i tried PTW (it should work) but it didn't. So than i tried Medal of Honor: Allied Assault and it worked fine on low! So why is game not working but the other is?!?!

It's been a while since I've been here, sorry about that (darn missing email notification... :mad: )

Thanks to everyone who's been testing ports and helping out - I'll try to make heads and tails of it, and update the first post in a few days.

Thadar, if you haven't had your problem solved yet, check out www.linksys.com and find the support pages for BEFSR41 - if that doesn't help, post the errors here and I'll try to figure it out.

Wildfire - Check the Programs section in ZoneAlarms control panel - both Civilization3 and DirectPlay need to have checkmarks to allow access and allow them acting as servers.

Ok Isak, thanks a lot. I will try to get DirectPlay to have checkmarks. I know i have the PTW checked but not sure about the direct thing. Thanks a lot and i hope it works!

Thanks again Isak!! Allowing directplay to access worked and i was able to play this guy named Octavian (not the one we know) for an hour before the game locked up :(. Oh well, it worked so now i can finally challenge people to something other than a hotseat or PBEM game.

Where is this DirectIP feature? I can't find it in any of the multiplayer screens on PTW.

I am trying to set up a LAN game over a VPN, and having a lot of trouble. Buttons seem to be missing, etc...I am running the latest patches.

Thanks Tai

Using DIRECT IP - Cyber Mud

If you are HOSTING a Direct IP game, you need to know your IP address, so that you can tell your opponents. Then...

In the multiplayer lobby, you need to press the location button on the left hand side until "Local Games" is indicated. Then you select "Host", and you are moved to the Multiplayer Setup Screen where you set your game up. Your opponents, should join you by connecting directly to your IP.

If you are JOINING a Direct IP game.

First make sure that you know the Host IP address, and that the Host is ready for you to join. Then in the multiplayer lobby, you need to press the location button on the left hand side until "Local Games" is indicated. Here, you hit the white "DIRECT IP" button on the left hand side of the screen, this throws up a dialogue box in which you enter your Host's IP address. After entering the host IP address, you should be taken to the Multiplayer set up screen, where the host will be waiting to finalize configuration for your game.

let me preface this by saying i am pretty computer illiterate.

i just tried joining a multiplayer game and got the ports/firewall error message. im not behind a firewall so I must have to open ports. my question is, how do i go about doing it? i tried reading thru this thread and got lost pretty quick. I dont even have an idea where to start. If you could point me in the right direction i would appeciate it.

ive got windows 98...

feel free to flame me for my ignorance....

joycem - if you don't have firewall or a NAT router, you can't open ports, 'cause without a firewall all ports are always open. :)

Are you sure you don't have a Router or similar.

Or perhaps a software firewall like ZoneAlarm, Norton Internet Security or similar?

If not, then it's really weird and you should probably check out the GamespyArcade forums and ask the question there, cause then it has to be a bug in the GamespyArcade application, I think.

BTW - no need to flame someone who comes forward honestly and admits that there might be a problem on their own system, in my opinion. :) I try to stay away from flamewars, but if I'm ever going to take it up, I'd rather flame all those who spend their time in the MP lobby blaming everything and anyone except their own 'fool-proof, flawless system' for their misery, and who for that reason never actually find out whether or not their own setup is the cause of their problems.

The procedure to open ports is quite different depending on the type of equipment or software you have that is blocking the ports.

If you don't have a hardware or software firewall, you don't need to open ports. If you do have one, let us know what it is, and I'm sure someone will know the procedure :)

well I don't know what kind of firwall I have (but no softwar is getting open when the computer is on so i guss it's hardwar one)

Hmm... a bit tough then - did you try going through the steps in the first post of this thread to figure out if you have a firewall?

And are you sure no software is getting opened? Nothing next to your clock in the lower right corner of the screen at all?

Hit CTRL-ALT-DEL, there might be a hidden file (aside from the Windows files) that you don't see...

I am using an linux/iptables based firewall/NAT (or masq as it's known) and have had limited success (played 3 games successfully, but failed in DOZENS of others) with these ports (both tcp and udp) forwarded:
  • 6667 (IRC)
  • 3783 (Voice Chat Port)
  • 27900 (Master Server UDP Heartbeat)
  • 28900 (Master Server List Request)
  • 29900 (GP Connection Manager)
  • 29901 (GP Search Manager)
  • 13139 (Custom UDP Pings)
  • 6515 (Dplay UDP)
  • 6500 (Query Port)
  • 2303 (Direct IP)
I have also found this disturbing note in PTW's "readme.txt" file:

If you have a UPnP operating system (Windows ME or Windows XP) and a UPnP router, you "should" be able to join any public game. If you are not UPnP compliant, you must be the first player to join the game, and no other non-UPnP players will be able to join after you.

:eek: does this mean people who don't pay tribute to Microsoft and do not have Universal Plug -n- Play screw up everything? I'm running Windows 2000 behind my firewall, but I'm worried that I can't play because of too many others have UPnP and join before I do. I refuse to bow down to Microsoft - I've used my linux firewall for years and have been able to port-forward around plenty of other networked games, etc.

Has anyone gotten the nitty-gritty details on this from Firaxis? The readme is vague (doesn't specify TCP or UDP - just looks like a paste from the GameSpy firewalls page). Given the community that's here, we should be able to nail down exactly which ports enable which features and are required for GameSpy games, Direct IP games, people with UPnP, people without UPnP, etc. blah blah etc.

Thoughts?

P.S. I've attached my linux/iptables forwarding script. I've never seen one online, so here's a contribution

Attachments

• portfw.txt
    1.6 KB · Views: 231
Top Bottom