Crusaders obsolete after Righteousness?

torsoboy

Chieftain
Quick search did not produce relevant results.

I'm playing a Noble Pangaea Bannor game (patch .41j), and as soon as I finished researching Righteousness all my cities lost the entry for building crusaders. I can still build Confessors (and Sphener). My cities that were set on always build crusaders autoswitched to always build Paladins. I don't expect this is an intended feature. Am I the only person with this problem?

You would be able to keep building Crusaders if you could not build Paladins, e.g., if you already had 4 of them.

I've never liked how units can go obsolete when they only upgrade to National units. I typically give all units the <bNeverObsolete>1 tag, which prevents this behavior.

That's a weird mechanic. Someone please help me understand the rationale behind this?

Thanks for the solution btw, I'll try it out.

I don't think it's so much intentional as it is a side effect of the way the current system works. If all of the possible upgrade choices for a unit are available in a city, and that unit has at least one possible upgrade, then that unit is not available. This is how normal obsolesence functions correctly, but when you get a unit that can only upgrade to a national unit, and that national unit is available, then the unit disappears from the available build list (until the national limit for that unit is reached, when it reappears). There needs to be an exception made for national units: ie if all of the possible upgrade choices for a unit are available in a city, and that unit has at least one possible upgrade that is not a national unit, then that unit is not available. I have no idea how easy that is to implement, however.

It shouldn't be that hard to edit the DLL not to count national (and world, just in case) units like that, but it would be easier just to give all units that upgrade to national units <bNeverObsolete>1</bNeverObsolete>.

Adding that tag to block obsolescence was the only upgrade change Kael made. Units that don't have that tag use the standard Civ IV upgrade rules. Firaxis only really meant to use national unit limits for missionaries, not combat units to which other units may upgrade, so they did not take them into account when writing the upgrade code..

Top Bottom