Culture-Flipping Exposed

Originally posted by Gramphos
The distance to the capital, is this in tiles or something else?

If you have your capital at (5;15) and the other civ the capital at (46;30) and the city in question is at (26;10) what are the distances?
I could not resist answering this message since I am a bit of a math buff...

Here's the formula for calculating distances between cities.

the coordinates are:
(x1; y1) vs. (x2; y2)

Ex: (5;15) vs. (46; 30) vs. (26;10)

Simply calculate the distance between any two cities as following:

Attachments

• distances.jpg
    distances.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 709
excuse my english at first :) i dont speak it..

so i read all about flipping and yes i was annoyed as well, but not very often still..

then thinking about all you say they almost did it really right.

if it not were for wonders and all the culture heaped up with those, war-flipping would be _very_ rare when you watch some factors. its almost always cities with wonders that bug you..

if considered that one may substract wonder-culture from the rest there is, and hence flipping would almost not occur except youre a babarian, then yes it is wonderful done.

and realistic as well, because if there is a "wonder" people think of it as theirs (they dont ask any governement)

they dont think of the marketplace or the cathedral as "theirs" though.

so just split these values and all be fine!?

(i only take cities w/o wonders - those i raze *g*)

I think flipping is annoying and random so i simply fix it by loading the game - that fixes it instanteneously. no need to go through all this annoying hassle of razing and resettling or putting a garison outside the city. if people think thats cheating i really dont care. i think its cheating that i can lose all my units completely randomly.

Mega Bump!

This topic is two years old

I like cultural flips myself mostly because they are on my side

If the city has improvements and/or wonders I want, I keep my armies and elite units outside the city. Garrison with less valuable units. Then starve those damn foreigners down until there is only 1 left. If the city is worthless, then raze and resettle.

Wait.
You signed up almost 10 years ago. And you post your first post yesterday on an 11 year bump?
That in itself is impressive. Here, have a beer: :beer:

There's a case to be made not to raze and do your tactic in every captured city (if placed in a place that makes sense).

Sometimes I see a town 1 tile from a river and one tile from sea. Then I raze it and place it 'correctly'.
I don't like to raze. It costs me settlers and time.

Wait.
You signed up almost 10 years ago. And you post your first post yesterday on an 11 year bump?
Ha, ha! Yeah, I usually just read the forum and don't say much cause I don't consider myself an expert. I just thought my comment might be useful for those, like me, still playing this classic game. Thanks for the beer!
I think I'll give your Mod a try.

Last edited:
Top Bottom