Custom Faction not receiving all benefits

BoogieMan

Chieftain
A custom faction I created is not getting all their assigned traits and abilities and I don't know why.

Using the faction editor, whenever I reopen the faction the number 8 Faction Bonus field is blank. If I add Free Ability, it's gone when I reopen and does not show in game. Immunity to Industry does not protect from penalties to industry. I have done this before in the past and don't recall any problems. I did install the unofficial patch and the improved datalinks, not aware of those causing this issue. Free Tech remains visible but this tech is NOT granted in game for all techs. For example, Adv. Ecological Engineering does not apply, while Graviton Theory does.

Any ideas?

Two possibilities:

1. The faction editor is known to be buggy. Try direct editing of the (faction name).txt files instead.
2. There's a hard-coded limit on how many special abilities and bonuses that you can grant a faction. However, the limit applies only to some changes, not all. I'm not clear on the details. Perhaps one of the modders will drop by and explain it better than I can.

That's what's odd, the abilities for free tech/abilities show up in the txt file for the faction, but neither the game or the editor recognizes them. I can remove all abilities and add "free ability" all by itself and it doesn't work.

I'd suggest editting the text files manually. :) I can upload some help files that can get you on your way if you need them.

As for the bonuses, yes, some of them count towards a limit of 8. I can't remember off hand which ones do and which don't, but free techs and free units definitely do.

Top Bottom