Dad jokes tech quotes

Especially when I was a younger lad, a lot of the civ4 quotes by Nimoy had this ethereal quality where it felt like the voice was reaching out of the monitor and grabbing me. It's not just his voice- the words themselves were pretty well chosen. There is that big difference in the overall tone. Even in a humorous game, you can go too far. I did like how some techs have multiple quote options, so every game isn't always the same set. That was a good addition.
But also to be totally fair after so many iterations of the game a lot of the "good ones" are used up.

I absolutely think that people make the earlier games out to be more "serious" than they actually were but a lighter hand on when to use them would make them funnier.

Especially when I was a younger lad, a lot of the civ4 quotes by Nimoy had this ethereal quality where it felt like the voice was reaching out of the monitor and grabbing me. It's not just his voice- the words themselves were pretty well chosen. There is that big difference in the overall tone. Even in a humorous game, you can go too far. I did like how some techs have multiple quote options, so every game isn't always the same set. That was a good addition.

That's why i loved civ4. I used to compete who knows the most civ quotes with my friend. I knew more quotes but he did a better funny nimoy impressions.
In civ5 i didn't really care for the quotes. They were fine/mediocre.
In civ6 i just disabled the voice so it didnt ruin the immersion. Most quotes are just stupid but some are actually pure garbage.

What a shame.:yuck:

Quotes are utterly immaterial to the Play of the Game, so much more attention should be paid to how they Enhance the game or add 'flavor' to it. Civ VI's quotes seem to be either too snarky, too arch, or just dull.

I confess, though, I loved the Elvis advisor in Civ 2. He kept reminding me that the game was not to be taken too seriously as a historical artifact, but played for fun. I think we all occasionally forget that while we are stealing Great Works, blowing up dams, razing cities, and nuking City States that won't get out of our way . . .

Part of my problem is that I've been collecting quotes for decades, and would love to see the 'quote system' not only to have better Civic and Tech quotes but also expanded to include, say, real quotes from the Great People.

For instance, one of my favorite military quotes is from one of Civ VI's Great Generals:

"It is better to be on hand with 10 men,
then to be absent with 10,000."
- Timur-i-Lenk (Tamerlane)

And one of my favorite Religious quotes is from a Civ Great Prophet:

"Do you need proof of the existence of God?
Do you have to light a candle in order to see the Sun?"
- Lao-Tse

- But you can't do it by skimming through Wikipedia . . .

No need to hate on Sean Bean, he has a good voice for the role and the mana to do it. If you don't like the script, well that's hardly his fault.

As someone from the UK, I have to disagree. Love Sean Bean, but a broad Yorkshire accent really doesn’t work for science quotes!

It's not a question of silly versus serious. It's a question of actually putting any thought into the quote you pick. The Sputnik quote from Nimoy was funny. noobmaster69 saying "lol I dropped my fidget spinner under [insert wonder name]" isn't.

But also to be totally fair after so many iterations of the game a lot of the "good ones" are used up. .

This couldn't be more wrong. They have all of recorded history to comb through, with only a few hundred quotes "used up." If they even spent ten minutes on google per quote as opposed to the thirty seconds they spent they could have found much better options.

It's not a question of silly versus serious. It's a question of actually putting any thought into the quote you pick.
I agree. They made a big mistake with Civ6, thinking for some reason that the quotes don't matter very much, as if they're only incidental to game play. But that's completely false.

In a game that at its best is about majestic, colossal empire building, finding a quote from Marie Osmond of all people is totally immersion breaking. Hers might be the worst, but there are plenty of other terrible ones too. Thank goodness for the Proverbium mod!

I agree. They made a big mistake with Civ6, thinking for some reason that the quotes don't matter very much, as if they're only incidental to game play. But that's completely false.

In a game that at its best is about majestic, colossal empire building, finding a quote from Marie Osmond of all people is totally immersion breaking. Hers might be the worst, but there are plenty of other terrible ones too. Thank goodness for the Proverbium mod!
Care for some salad? I made it myself.

It's not a question of silly versus serious. It's a question of actually putting any thought into the quote you pick. The Sputnik quote from Nimoy was funny. noobmaster69 saying "lol I dropped my fidget spinner under [insert wonder name]" isn't.

No see the Sputnik quote is easily the WORST quote used in the entire series. It was not funny, or clever, and just plain annoying.

...But that is just the thing with subjective stuff, its subjective. I absolutely hated that quote and some others think its fun, there are some I love which I am sure other absolutely hate as well. You can say they should only use seriously quotes, but then what is a "serious" quote? Is Einestien's joke about complex interest a serious quote? I mean it is a joke after all, but it is kinda related to Banking, but on the other hand not really as it doesn't apply to the creation of banking only what banking evolved into. And so on and so on. It is a slippery slope to say what is and is not a "good quote". But really this nostalgia that the old games were somehow so much more sophisticated about all this is just silly. Just because some of you have gotten older and 'grown out' of that, doesn't mean the series has. Civ has, and likely never will, take itself all that serious always looking for fun over hyper accuracy.

You all want real Hard Core quotes, go all the way back to Alpha Centauri! There's a reason I use what I have as my signature. That game is a gold mine of rich thought and provocative ideas. And they actually wrote these quotes themselves, rather than just mining things from others.
Some of them are funny, like this silly limerick from completing the "Cyborg Factory" - "A handsome young cyborg named Ace, wooed women at every base, but once ladies glanced at his special enhancement, they vanished with nary a trace."
And some are more serious and thought-provoking, like this "The righteous need not cower before the drumbeat of human progress. Though the song of yesterday fades into the challenge of tomorrow, God still watches and judges us. Evil lurks in the datalinks as it lurked in the streets of yesteryear. But it was never the streets that were evil." - Sister Miriam Godwinson, "The Blessed Struggle"

All that said though, I have thoroughly enjoyed the voice work of both Leonard Nimoy and Sean Bean. They both made the game quotes much more enjoyable to listen to.

a lot of the "good ones" are used up

I see no reason why they can't reuse them. To spice things up they should use multiple narrators next game. And it's high time to have a female narrator. And maybe one with a sexy French accent, okay that one is just for me. :) But seriously they should try multiple narrators, obviously they would have to avoid a big name star if they did that. It worked for Alpha Centauri (technically it was just one narrator, but the quotes themselves were often by the faction leaders)

And I will defend Civ6 Mark Twain quotes until my death. Those I find actually amusing. But it's the more recent quotes that are just horrible. I would say anything that's less than 50 years old should not be used. That should get rid of the bad ones like the Kilimanjaro and Chemistry stuttering quotes, and may I never hear the Courtney Cox quote ever again (even though I actually did like her on Family Ties and Friends).

As for the Civ4 Sputnik joke, I liked it the first time, it quite surprised me. But never cared for it after that.

Now I must resist the urge to play Alpha Centauri after reading the above post. :)

You all want real Hard Core quotes, go all the way back to Alpha Centauri! There's a reason I use what I have as my signature. That game is a gold mine of rich thought and provocative ideas. And they actually wrote these quotes themselves, rather than just mining things from others.

I dunno. When Deirdre started chuntering on about stands of white pine and urging the player to Observe the Razorbeak, I wanted to break her fingers.

However, that game got so many things right.

Some of them are funny, like this silly limerick from completing the "Cyborg Factory" - "A handsome young cyborg named Ace, wooed women at every base, but once ladies glanced at his special enhancement, they vanished with nary a trace."
And some are more serious and thought-provoking, like this "The righteous need not cower before the drumbeat of human progress. Though the song of yesterday fades into the challenge of tomorrow, God still watches and judges us. Evil lurks in the datalinks as it lurked in the streets of yesteryear. But it was never the streets that were evil." - Sister Miriam Godwinson, "The Blessed Struggle"

All that said though, I have thoroughly enjoyed the voice work of both Leonard Nimoy and Sean Bean. They both made the game quotes much more enjoyable to listen to.

SMAC quotes were great, but your signature hits too close to reality. I suppose stuff in recent memory is just another example of long historical patterns though.

I agree with this. Although i hate many of the tech quotes in Civ 6, people seem to have some unrealistic or overly-nostalgic obfuscated view of the "seriousness" of previous versions of Civ. There are so many examples, going at least as far back as the Elvis adviser from Civ 2.
I loved Elvis! And the military guy, too. ;)
I am personally not too annoyed with the quotes.

Really bad are the WiFi on Kilimanjaro and air condition Rome one, I'll grant you that. And I love the general idea of having quotes in the game. Oh, apropos: game (!) - Let's not forget that. There is room for a little silliness IMO.

I think there are a few too many silly quotes this time around; but overall the mix isn't far off what it should be.

It's the Wifi & Aircon ones that annoy me the most too. That and a few like the PT Barnum one which state something utterly obvious with no twist or zing.

It’s not just that the tech quotes in Civ VI are silly, it’s that some are distinctly negative and cynical, criticizing the very tech you just researched. Civ is generally meant to be an optimistic series, and Civ VI reflects that elsewhere with a brighter color palette. So the question remains why some quotes are as bad as they are.

Civ IV quotes were the best, Civ V quotes were fine (I especially liked the Electricity quote), Civ VI quotes are by and large terrible. And it’s not Sean Bean’s fault, though his delivery could have been more energetic at times.

Top Bottom