Defense - strategies?

Legal_My_Deagle

Warlord
I just played my first game of this and eventualy died to the Psycho Samurais. For some reason, all of the units in every wave would head directly to my northernmost city, Athens. I settled it in some hills with a Hill Warrior guarding it, and by the end of the game he had EVERY promotion!!! Maybe that is typical for this mod, but he was crazy-strong...except eventually when he was fully upgraded, I tried to switch him out to use as an outer-defender so another Hill Warrior could get a chance for many promotions...my uber Hill Warrior died defending in his FIRST out-of-city battle to a stupid Psycho Samurai. The odds must have been ridiculous.

ANYWAY on to actual strategy - what have you guys found to work best in this scenario? Such as but not limited to:

- How many defenders do you keep in a city?

- What terrain do you build your cities on?

- How many cities do you build?

- How proportion of your money do you spend on units, technology, etc?

- How many "outer-defenders" (units you keep roaming the map to pick off the attackers as they rush your cities) do you use?

- What technologies do you beeline?

etc etc

Just general strategies and tactics are what I am looking for.

Also is it actually possible to build improvements in this mod...? There is a tab for this but I never figured out how to get any options for improving my cities, if there are any.

happned to me to.

the samurais are really crazy

To get the ball rolling on strategy...

Other people probably do this too, but I try to found all my cities on hills so I can get some kind of defensive bonus by defending them with hill warriors.

How do you guys defend grassland cities though? I couldn't find an effective means.

Do any of the technologies that you can buy actually unlock real city defenders?

Psycho samurais are really annoying. You should try to buy the tech that enable trebuchets and have some of them (at least 3). It's also a good idea to have some scouts wandering to give line of sight for trebuchets, so they can bombard samurais that enter in their range.

If you did everything fine, you'll see that suicide grenadiers are even worst than psycho samurais :(. You can't kill them with melee units, because they'll die, as the suicide grenadier explodes and kills every unit in neighbour squares. So you'll need to have some archers and musketmen to deal with these annoying grenadiers.

About cities, I try to found as many as possible, I don't care about its location and defense. The best defense for cities is to have a good amount of units on the map to kill enemies and to get all goodie huts. It isn't really useful to have units guarding cities, it's better to have units wandering and killing enemies as soon as they appear on the map. Obviously it isn't possible, so you'll need to have several units in several parts of the map. You'll need some tundra and forest warriors to do a starting deal, some hill warriors at hills to deal with enemies that escape the first line and some jungle warriors to deal with the few survivors. If you do everything right, you'll reach at least level 10 without a single enemy reaching any of your cities, so you won't need any city defender. Just put some archers to bombard anyone who attempt to pass your jungle defenders, but put these archers behind the jungle squares.

Promotions: use the first 2 specific promotions for the units (hill defense for hill warriors and forest/jungle defense for forest and jungle warriors), then aim increased line of sight, it will help a lot to find enemies and goodie huts.

It's also interesting to know that enemies aim your first city (Athens), so they'll go in that direction.

I reached level 11 or 12, but I got tired and didn't finish. Maybe some day I'll load it and finish :).

Top Bottom