Defining Icons for new units

anansethespider

Warlord
I'm running into some trouble modifying the UI to display icons for new units. Let's say there's a fully working unit called Bireme in the game, and I want to assign it the same icon set as the Galley.

I made XML files for Icons_Units, Icons_UnitPortraits and Icons_UnitFlags and defined new entries in each that copy existing atlas numbers. So for instance, here's my Icons_Units.xml

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<GameInfo>
<IconDefinitions>
<Row Name="ICON_UNIT_BIREME" Atlas="ICON_ATLAS_UNITS" Index="27"/>
<Row Name="ICON_UNIT_BIREME_FOW" Atlas="ICON_ATLAS_UNITS_FOW" Index="27"/>
</IconDefinitions>
</GameInfo>

where 27 is the number of the Galley. But unfortunately this doesn't seem to change anything. Any ideas?

I realise it's frustrating and share that frustration. Whilst technically what you've done is correct, there's something barring the icons from displaying. The good news is that when we get 2D capability - which hopefully should be soon - then we'll be able to edit icons properly.

The only way I found to make it work is to add it to the Original files of the game in the UI/Icons/Icons_Unitsflags.xml other ways it won't work for now... It doesn't crash my normal playing game and find it weird that I have to do this with only the artwork cause the rest of my mods is entirely in is folder where it should belong.

Currently we cannot add Icons because we have no access through mods to tables <IconTextureAtlases> or <IconDefinitions> via any xml or sql file within a mod. As mentioned about the only thing we can do at the moment is edit the game's base files directly and add lines to make units, buildings, etc., use existing icons. Anyone who has tried to use these tables to my knowledge in a mod's xml or sql file simply gets a 'No Such Table ' error in the error logging files because the tables are not defined anywhere, and are not referenced or used anywhere except in the files contained in the C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Base\Assets\UI\Icons folder (this is the big hint that the game is treating all the info in that folder at the exe level in a special manner because all other game tables that appear in xml files are defined in sql files one can look at and thereby understand the limits of what can be stated for TableX, TableY, TableZ).

Course, the problem with editing base game files directly is that the 1st that is patch released, or if you have to verify the integrity of your games files via the steam system, these alterations get wiped from these base game files.

Does putting things in the DLC folder rather than Mods folder help at all?

I haven't tried it, but it would not, I wouldn't think. A ransack search on the filenames from that folder shows that the game's exe file is referencing those specific filenames.

But a test is always better than an assumption

--------------------------------------------------------

And the Aztec Icons stuff appear to already be in the base game files, and is not included in the Aztec DLC

Last edited:
Top Bottom