definite promotions

hi_2k

Chieftain
I have discovered the secret to getting veteran and elite units. Units that defeat 2 units that are same type/better will automaticaly advance 1 level, 3 gives your two levels. I dunno if 4 gives you another level or leader (most likley if ur still vet when on 4th u will get another lvl) but its worth a try:goodjob:

It depends on the civ you are playing as.
For instance if you're playing a militaristic civ, you can advance after one battle. I had it happen last night. A 3hp Warrior against a 3hp Warrior, I win and become a veteran, same turn (I'm defending here) 3hp warrior against my 4hp warrior, I win, and become elite.
Now I've had non-militaristic civs where it took me 4 or 5 battles to advance a regular unit to elite. It just depends, btw the above described battle was against barbarians, so those that say you can't get veteran troops from fighting barbs are incorrect.:rolleyes:

The automatic advancement I am sure exists is that if a unit defeats two other units in the same turn, it will advance.

Originally posted by Buecephalus

Now I've had non-militaristic civs where it took me 4 or 5 battles to advance a regular unit to elite. It just depends, btw the above described battle was against barbarians, so those that say you can't get veteran troops from fighting barbs are incorrect.:rolleyes:

You can get units promoted all the way up to Elite from fighting barbarians. I do it all the time. But you can't get Great Leaders from fighting barbarians.

2 successful defense will put a reg to vet, the third one puts it to elite. works the same way for ai units. so if u are not sure of winning the ai infantry always try attacking with a fast unit. can bring down a few life pts b4 using s fresh unit to kill it. even if the fast units(horsemen, calvary etc) lost to the same ai infantry unit for 3 rounds of attacks the ai infantry will not gain anything cos the fast units were not killed, they simply retreated.

Originally posted by Buecephalus
It depends on the civ you are playing as.
For instance if you're playing a militaristic civ, you can advance after one battle. I had it happen last night. A 3hp Warrior against a 3hp Warrior, I win and become a veteran, same turn (I'm defending here) 3hp warrior against my 4hp warrior, I win, and become elite.

One of my early stage stategies is to find a barbarian camp and just sit regular troops nearby and when a barbarian emerges, boom promotion potential. Once they become elite, move them up to the front lines.:splat:

Originally posted by sealman

One of my early stage stategies is to find a barbarian camp and just sit regular troops nearby and when a barbarian emerges, boom promotion potential. Once they become elite, move them up to the front lines.:splat:

Watch out for the hordes, though! If you let the barb camps last too long, a whole stack of them (say 12 horsemen) will come out in a "massive barbarian uprising"! That's how I lost my treasury once...:o

- Windwalker

Originally posted by Windwalker

Watch out for the hordes, though! If you let the barb camps last too long, a whole stack of them (say 12 horsemen) will come out in a "massive barbarian uprising"! That's how I lost my treasury once...:o

- Windwalker

yeah i remember my 3rd civ game ever that happend to me the uprising came to my town and stole 10 gold last time that happend.:cry:

- Windwalker

If you play with raging barbarians, that stack is 30 horsemen. If you let the camp live, there will be another one very shortly.:eek: I love barbs!

I have never had the problem with hordes if I sit the unit within sight of the camp and I normally play with raging barbs.

Since they see me, they come out. I guess. If I am not around, then I get the hordes.

__

actually a game I am playing now, regent and raging barbs. It is about 1500 AD and I have 1 barb camp sitting on a 1 tile peninsula and am still following the stat. A city will be dispersing the camp soon though, one more expansion.

- Windwalker

I have a spearman in every city and you don't have to worry and if you know there are camps put more men in that city opps I forgot to mention that catapults help a lot

Fortified catipults attack enemys who try and attack the city but you need a defender in the city

Top Bottom