Demo modding

It's possible. Is it also legal/acceptable?

Not only is it possible/legal, it's EASY! :-D

XML files, can edit in wordpad :)

I made the game speed 10X faster as an experiment, works fine, I think 3X will be good, as that is like having a 300 turn demo :p

Note that if you mod the core files, as soon as Steam validates the files you'll loose your changes. ;)

Sorry for posting the topic in General Discussion :p

The thing is, you might do things to extend the amount of content in the demo and I can't really see 2k/Firaxis be very happy about that. But it might also be one reason why they didn't release the demo before the game.

Note that if you mod the core files, as soon as Steam validates the files you'll loose your changes. ;)

Steam doesn't validate automatically without a patch, at least it never did for ETW/NTW.

What do you think will be coming in the next day or two? ;)

What do you think will be coming in the next day or two? ;)

Yeah but the real game allows you to select mods so overwriting the core files is unnecessary :)

I highly doubt the demo will be patched, anyways.

I haven't worked on debugging it, but when I made relatively tame changes to the XML, the demo crashed.

Sorry for posting the topic in General Discussion :p

The thing is, you might do things to extend the amount of content in the demo and I can't really see 2k/Firaxis be very happy about that. But it might also be one reason why they didn't release the demo before the game.

Steam doesn't validate automatically without a patch, at least it never did for ETW/NTW.

Actually it seems that modding the XML files doesn't quite work... and maybe Steam is doing something.

I've been playing CivV demo with steam on "offline mode" the whole time. I've made various changes such as making units cheaper, and sometimes my changes show up, and sometimes it returns to the default.

The first time I checked my edited file, it did revert back to the original, and now its back to the edited version without me having made any changes. I don't know what the heck is going on with the files.

My Documents is happening. This was an issue with Civ4 as well, but we could avoid it all by not putting mods in the My Documents section, instead we put them within the Program Files section, but it seems that is not possible anymore, so we'll wait and see.

Top Bottom