Democracy Game Challenge 1: Spoilers

I played and I lorst. Period. If it was just a game nothing more to say. But as
experience.
According Falcon report, he tried late game's ways without success,too.
So, may be something wrong we made at begin. I would like to speak with
Falcon.
I made my capital as commercial city: 4 towns,watermills and windmills; not a
single grass farmed. (It could have been done production:two plains/hills/mines and three grass/hills/mines and food to support it and whip;6 irrigable grass there,while commerce would suffer). What was your choice?
All cities,but capital,got their radius by obelisk (I could have been done
Stonehenge in capital,after worker,warrior,settler and warrior); or (I could have been done libraries). Again,what was your path?
I just tried and founded four cities (could be done more, but then defense still
weaker). You,please?
I shall replay,now capital powerhouse, but interesting to know first you tried
not to repeat.
Best regards,

Well, my 16th run at this beast was stable enough that I bothered to play it through. Alexander won a diplomatic victory in 2048, with me a distant 3rd place after Mao. England was behind me, I killed France and Alex killed Germany.

Since this was my first finish of this game, I finally saw the play-by-play screen and it struck me that the missing Romans probably belong in the NW of our continent. Since they were not functioning, that left Greece and Germany lots of free space to expand. So I wonder,

- Is there any way to get Rome reactivated here? I'd like to see if that distracts some of the AI away from me.
- Is there any way to swap with the AI and play Greece or Germany to see how I can do with their position?

My "Official Log" that I wrote as I was making the game...

Spoiler :
4000 BC – the noble Mongolians construct their Capital and name it Falcon's Haven.

The Scout begins to explore to the North West, as our Capital builds a Warrior for Defense, and we immediately began researching Farming so we could take advantage of the wheat. And then attempt to bring these great beasts called Horses under our control.

The scout traveled the hills to maximize view, and finds a Camp. Hopes however for friendly contact with these tribes were soon dashed, when in 3840 BC a Greek scout pillaged the tribe for their goods. They then greeted the Mongolian scout, knowing that our scout would not be so easily defeated.

In an incredible show of restraint the Mongolians allowed the Greek crimes to go unavenged for now and continued to explore to the East to get a better view of our surrounding lands.

The Greek Scout however seemed to follow the Mongolian Scout in its explorations.

3680 BC – The Mongolian Scout discovers another Tribal Camp, and vicious Lions wandering the Hills. Undeterred by the lions the Mongolian Scout was ordered to make peaceful contact with the Tribal Camp, before they too became victims to the Greeks. The Tribal camp granted the Mongolian civilization a gift 59 gold, hearing that the Greeks had burned another Tribe's camp to the ground after plundering it they were grateful for the restraint the Mongolians showed.

3640 BC
The pack of lions that had threatened the scout earlier reemerged and the Scout then decided to take a defensive position on a nearby hill in order to draw the lions into a fight, to hone their skills and to eliminate the threat the lions posed.

At this same time the sages in Falcon's Haven discovered the secrets of Agriculture, learning how to gain control of the plants around us, instead of just gathering what little is available in the wild.

3600 BC

Our Scout Easily defeats the lion with 0.8 health left, however, soon another Lion is visible on the Horizon poised to attack the scout. Our scout seeks refuge in a nearby Forest waiting for the Lions to attack again. However, the Lions seem disinterested in fighting in the trees and wander back into the fog, in the Savannah they are used to. The scout continued it's northern Explorations, attempting to find the beasts again to practice their fighting skills once more.

3520 BC
With the initial warrior long built and a new scout nearly completed, Falcon's Haven has had a new population for a complete turn, so the scout in training was temporarily given some time to relax, while citizens were gathered into a worker to start improving the land outside of our city.

~I got a bit lazy after this~

In the coming millennium or two I discovered Horses to the north, and founded Talon's Claw as a Commercial city, but with military purpose of claiming the Horses for my Chariots. I got up to 4 Scouts from Goody Huts and building the second scout mentioned earlier. However once Barbarians showed up on the scene they began falling one by one. I did make contact with the Germans however in 2040BC.

In 1960BC before finishing the Alphabet to enable tech trading the Mongolians were considered Pathetic by Tacitus.

I researched up to Alphabet and began tech trading with other civs, most were unwilling to give my Mysticism but I was able to convince Greece to. Greece has been our most willing Trade partner, as such the Mongolians have forgiven their previous transgressions against local the tribesmen.

France made some empty threats to try to steal writing from us, the proud Mongolian people refused their demands. The next turn they were a bit more willing, giving us Masonry in exchange.

We later founded two new coastal cities to the East, Mariner Harbor (in honor of the PBM Mariner seaplane that my Grandfather flew and Mariner Spacecraft) and Terrapin's Cove (in honor of the Basketball team which had lost their game against Butler minutes before it's founding).

It is now 675BC we have started researching Code of Laws and Falcon's Haven is in revolt due to overcrowding.

625 BC
Falcon's Haven finishes the first Keshik and work begins on the Oracle.

375 BC
The Mongolians lose the Race for both Confusionism and the Oracle.

200 BC
Taoism is founded in a distant land, until this point I was then attempting to get Taoism from Philosophy. However, Taoism has been founded by unknown and the same turn the Greeks adopted Pacifism. This seems very odd, it seems both the Greeks and “unknown” AI found Philosophy on nearly the same turn. I've been stockpiling Keshiks. I'm now researching towards Theology, in a last ditch effort to get Christianity, unfortunately the AI is unwilling to trade me Polytheism or any other tech I need for me to catch up.

50 BC
Taoism spreads to our lands, Terrapin's Cove now follows Taoism.

25 BC
Christianity is still my best hope for a religion of my own, only 12 turns away Talon's Claw is providing 28 Beakers, with 9 turns till we get Theology. All cities are currently devoted to the cause of scientific discovery now.

75 AD
The Christianity Race is also lost to an unknown civilization, it is obvious my continent is behind in tech. Last chance is Islam, and I need to finish Theology and backtrack to Monarchy before going for it. 7 turns left in Theology. And the only Civ I have contact with with techs unknown to me is Greece, and they are unwilling to give either of their techs, Calender and Philosophy.

125 AD
The Greeks request Monotheism of me, given their unwillingness to trade with me earlier, I turn them down.

250 AD
Bismark requests me to cancel my deals with the Greeks. Given that I feel betrayed by the Greeks again, and the fact that I'm starting to have Military goals, with Greece being a neighbor, I decided to accept.

300 AD
Napoleon Declares war on Alexander
With 7 Keshiks and 2 Chariots I'm considering joining him to attack Alexander and see what I can grab.

400 AD
The time has come to decide, Napoleon is begging me for assistance.
I decide to join them in their fight against the Powerful Greeks, Perhaps I can get something of value. I just recently switched to Theocracy, so my military production will be slightly better (experience wise).

425 AD
Penguin's Nest is founded on our southern most coast. 22 Turns to Divine Right. I also realize a slight miss calculations with the Greeks.... the Phalanx... +100% against Mounted Units. I may have to rethink my strategy slightly. First order of business, pillage their Iron.

620 AD
While our Keshiks successfully pillaged the Greek Iron, their Phalanx decimated the Keshiks in their territory after the pillaging. After a failed assault on Athens, the remaining Keshiks that were retreating back to Mongolian Territory were picked off by the Phalanx who had use of the roads. The gamble had not payed off, and the General reluctantly gave Alexander Monarchy in order to restore peace to the lands. Vowing however one day to get vengeance.

700 AD
Falcon's Haven builds Chichen Itza.

940 AD
Success on the Religion front, Mariner Harbor founds Islam. However, still without Iron I am doomed.

1110 AD
I get a devious Idea, try to culture rush a French Iron deposit across the sea, I may be able to get my own source of Iron, without having to fight superior units to get it, I'm calling the city Final Flight, cause it's my best chance to get iron right now.

1260 AD
Hanging Gardens Completed in Falcon's Haven. Building a Taoist Missionary in Talon's Claw so I can build a few religious buildings in Final Flight and continue the culture rush.

1450 AD
Contact with Victoria.

1525 AD
Founded Peregrine Perch on my NW border, to try to fill out some unused tiles.

1700 AD
I gain access to Copper.............. in the hill directly below my capital..... great timing.... ~sigh~

1710 AD
Napoleon decides to declare war on me... this will be interesting, will try to get Bismark in to help.

1740 AD
The siege on Peregrine Perch is over, the French forces have retreated and were destroyed by the defending forces of the city.

I eventually got peace with the French after taking Rheims

Soon after taking Rheims the Greeks attacked...

Alexander's Forces were much larger then Napoleon's... so I have my work cut out for me.

1876 AD
The Greek Elephants eventually take and raze Peregrine Perch to the ground.

1912 AD
I finally take Athens, and the French redeclare war on me. Since most of Rheims falls same turn French declare war, in fact I do not get the diplomatic screen informing me of the declaration until AFTER Rheims falls. At least the defenders of Rheims took many French troops with them.

Amazingly enough I don't even get the “French ____ has reduced your defenses in Rheims to __%” until after the official declaration (ie. After Rheims has been conquered)

1931 AD
FINALLY have Iron within my borders, thanks to Final Flight. However, I have missed an important fact, even though it's in my borders, I can not claim it as a resource as of yet, because there is no direct land link to one of my cities without going through enemy territory.

1933 AD
Retaken Rhiems, was tempted to Raze it but decided against it.

1936 AD
Have a new Great Artist, will use this in Rheims once revolt ends to try to expand the borders as much as possible.

1937 AD
Great artist did very little in Rheims, though it's 27% Mongol now, I really need to get Orleans. And Athens is more trouble then it's worth to hold on to so I'm gonna see what Alexander will be willing to give me to take it back.

Continued my Culture/Military war with France, bit of a stalemate, they had the strategic resources, and tech advantage. All I had to my advantage was tactics and military production. Artillery took a while to get to, France had been using Artillery against me for a long time by the time I got it. However, I ended up forgoing Infrastructure for the most part to produce military units. Once I had artillery I worked twoards pumping artillery out and launching another offensive towards Orleans.

2017 AD
Orleans finally falls..... Direct link to Iron, however mine on Iron has since been pillaged, so I need to rebuild the mine to gain the resource.

2019 AD
Again soon after taking Orleans Alexander declares war on me... this is getting old.

2020 AD
I get Bismark to declare war on Alexander for 300 Gold....

2022 AD
Alexander has taken Rheims, Napoleon has taken Orleans back... my workers are trapped behind Rheims with the Iron in a vain attempt to get it hooked up. Alexander's troops are marking unabated through Mongolian land and it is clear that the Mongolian people soon shall be no more :(

2023 AD
In between turns Alexander has marched into Talon's Claw taken it... and then Bismark immediately takes it from Alexander.

2024 AD
Alexander takes Final Flight with a landing of Artillery.

2025 AD
Napoleon destroys the defenses of my trapped Workers, and takes the workers.

2030 AD
Napoleon and Alexander have more or less stopped trying to take cities, and have been working on decimating all my tile improvements.

2038 AD
Mariner Harbor falls to Napoleon, I also notice Bismark has “liberated” Final Flight... however the idea of returning cities to their original owner seems to still elude Bismark.

2050 AD
Bismark wins a Time Victory.... I SURVIVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Though I think Napoleon destroyed just about every tile improvement I have...

Edit: I got screen shots as well, that I'm probably gonna add to it later, to give you a better idea of what happened during mine.... but I just got home from work... didn't get much sleep last night... and all in all.... Sleep is good... and screen shots can wait.

Well, I'm playing at home... I got to 600 AD so far. It has been a long time since I played Vanilla and it's been pretty cool, indeed. Some things we do the easy way in Warlords (medic units, Trebuchets, Chariots X Axes) we have to do the hard way. That's pretty cool. :cool:
I wanted to do a very detailed report, so I downloaded the Ruff_hi logging mod, configured it and started playing. Just to realize, near 1AD, that the modified assets were locked :hammer2:.
To help my poor report, I'm at work now and forgot the save. I promise I'll try to make it better as the game progress. :blush:

Spoiler :
I started with Agriculture and a worker to farm the wheat (or corn). Next, I went Mining -> BW for my worker to have something useful to do.
I build, then, a bunch of scouts (all eaten by animals. I didn't win one single battle) and some fog-busting warriors. The French and the Greeks are near. Greece's Phalanxes are no good.
Having no bronze nearby, I went to AH and found it between the two golds. I was thinking about splitting the gold into two cities, but this one was too good to pass.
I was loosing timing, so I went the religious path (Myst -> Meditation -> Priesthood) and started the Oracle. I went the safe way and grabbed CoL and Confucianism. Founded another city east with lots of food and production. I'm considering even building the palace there soon.

About this time, I had only a bunch of warriors and 3 chariots as my entire military. Time to change it. I shopped for Archery and started building some archers. Napoleon had a stack of 3 mighty axes nearby. I think this move avoided the war.

With border popping and CoL, I restarted the expansion. Founded a city with Copper/Marble/Gems/Corn and, when I discovered IW, founded a coastal city with cows/crab/iron. I hooked up my Iron before the bronze.
I got a GP from the Oracle and bulbed most of Civil Service. 4 more turns and it was mine. I revolted to Big B and I'm thinking more about moving the capital.
With CS bulbed, I traded for Masonry and hooked up the stone and marble. I shall now become wonder happy. :D

Now that I had my early goals, it was time for some action. Napoleon founded a city between Iron and copper ones... Barely defended... He had some axes nearby that tried to take a barb city that spawned on the jungle (I stole it from his noses with a pair of chariots ;))... I had some axes and Keshiks nearby. Rheims was lightly defended... I had a bunch of swords coming and was teching to Construction... By the time I get to Paris, cats will have arrived... So, I declared. :ar15:

Was situation:
  • Marseilles (the far city) auto-razed.
  • Axes on the region vanquished (with heavy losses).
  • Rheims (city with too much pressure from Greece) razed.
  • Troops outside Orleans (waiting some swords).
  • Catapults being spawned on nearby cities.

Oh! And I almost forgot. I built The Great Library. :D

Something I'm noticing is that Alex is a great trading buddy. I thought he was a freak like Genghis, but of the three neighbors, he's the easiest to handle!

Well, my 16th run at this beast was stable enough that I bothered to play it through. Alexander won a diplomatic victory in 2048, with me a distant 3rd place after Mao. England was behind me, I killed France and Alex killed Germany.

Since this was my first finish of this game, I finally saw the play-by-play screen and it struck me that the missing Romans probably belong in the NW of our continent. Since they were not functioning, that left Greece and Germany lots of free space to expand. So I wonder,

- Is there any way to get Rome reactivated here? I'd like to see if that distracts some of the AI away from me.
- Is there any way to swap with the AI and play Greece or Germany to see how I can do with their position?

I moved the AI around a lot, but I seem to remember that the Romans were indeed to the NW. I still have the worldbuilder save, so it should be possible to put the Romans back. The only problem would be that you would have met them from the start. It's also possible to play as one of the other civs. If you want I could send you a game where you are Greece or Germany.

I moved the AI around a lot, but I seem to remember that the Romans were indeed to the NW. I still have the worldbuilder save, so it should be possible to put the Romans back. The only problem would be that you would have met them from the start. It's also possible to play as one of the other civs. If you want I could send you a game where you are Greece or Germany.

Any or all of the above would be interesting. TIA.

Just curious - why do the Romans have this special condition?

When I set up the game I accidentaly escaped from worldbuilder while the Romans were I sight of the starting location and I couldn't get it back because the saves didn't work as planned.

I'll wait a day to see if there are more people interested in a specific file. Anyone have a preference for either Greece of Germany?

I'll probobly give it another try, with less attention to logging... need to see if I can't launch my offensive earlier, and grab that iron...

Most importantly, not forget that Alexander's Phalanx gets a bonus against mounted units :ack:

Updating my game to 1150 AD!
(and I forgot it home again :wallbash:)

Spoiler :
Napoleon's war went well. Massive catapults to the front. CR2 swords rock against archers, even with 50% defense or 20% defense on a hill. Took Orleans easily. Discovered two cities, besides Paris: one fishing city on a hill and one gold mining city, Tours. The former I razed with no losses. Tours was more difficult, but eventually fell.
During the siege of Tours, I saw Nappy go with a party of two HA's, one Archer and a Settler. I couldn't do much about it with a pair of axes defending Orleans. So, he refounded the fishing city 1 tile South. Stupid AI...
I discovered Machinery and started to pump Medieval units. X-Bows, Maces and more support catapults. I would try to kill Alex right after Nappy.
Paris fell too. Lost a few catas on the process.
My army was healing near Orleans when he came begging for peace. I have forgotten that in Vanilla the AI do this. In Warlords, they usually just capitulate to other nation and the war goes on. He offered Monotheism. I asked for all his gold and Compass too. He accepted.
The turn after that, Biz declared on Alex... I foresaw :trouble:...
I was just waiting for the peace treaty to expire to finish Napoleon once and for all. Well, while I waited, Biz asked me to join him on the war with Alex. I had a few Maces and X-Bows ready on his borders. Alex didn't have Longbows... I thought: why not? So, I declared.
I headed directly to Athens (after razing one border city right next to my army), the Buddhist Holy City with a Shrine!
During the siege of Athens, while I waited for reinforcements, the peace treaty expired. Nappy had only one city. Alex sent me ONE jumbo to attack Orleans. I :whipped: a spear there and left two axes and an archer for defense. I saw one horse archer of Nappy's on his border. But he has no more horses. It must be his las one! And was. A Keshik took his soul and one turn later, Nappy was gone. No more France!
In the meantime, I discovered Optics and Built the usual 2 caravels going in opposite directions.
Athens fell easily too. A phalanx and some archers are no match for about 10 maces and a few cats. ;)
I'm going for a Liberalism -> Astronomy slingshot, so I need Alex to trade Philosophy to me. He lost Athens and is not willing to. I think Sparta must go. Education will be in in about 10 turns. By then, I should have gotten already.
There's where I stopped. I'll try to play more this weekend.

Final Score Graph

Final Power Graph

Final Culture Graph

World at End

Before Major French Invasion

After Major French Invasion :(

And Rome is back.....

It is? Damn, I'll have a look at it then. Do you know if Mongolia is in the right place?

It is? Damn, I'll have a look at it then. Do you know if Mongolia is in the right place?

Just started replaying it.... just discovered Rome, I'll see if I can't find the Mongols.

EDIT: just to make sure you realize... I had to encounter Rome to get contact with 'em.

Found Mongols

Genghis changed his name to Loon apparently....

EDIT: their Capital appears to be on the correct tile, so yes, they're positioned properly.

:hmm: The worldbuilder save I used this time must be somehow older than the one I used for "the real thing". Are the mongols were they should be SE?

And Loon is the Default Name on my PC. But I think the one of the first things I did in-game was changing the game.

Anyway I'll probably look at it tonight or tomorrow.

I replayed and this time I'll probably win a worthless victory.
Barbs settled just close the iron; just 2 archers there; my 2 chariots took the
city.
So, as training means nothing; I did not make up my mind if I go on or not.

Best regards,

Status report: 1540 AD

Spoiler :
The war against Alexander went really well. Bizmarck and I did cripple him. When he was down to two cities, I signed peace for Philosophy. I needed it for Liberalism.
I circumnavigated the globe and found a barb island north and China (Mao) and England (Vicky) in another continent.
When I completed Education, I looked at the tech screen. No one had Paper. Some didn't have either CS or Theology for it! Oh, shiny!
I set research to Gunpowder, than Engineering, then Chemistry. In the meantime, I declared on Bizmark. The continent shall be mine, mine! :mwaha:
I slowly progressed through his empire. I got about 5 cities and I'm going to Berlin, now that I have grens. Also, I was not razing any cities because I was fearing someone to come from overseas and settle there. Well, nobody has Astronomy. Some doesn't even have CALENDAR. Weird for this AI.
Now that I noticed it, when I go back to the save, I will raze a few cities and start producing some settlers. By the time I have Astro, I'll just fill some Galleons and take the barb island. I think it'll be enough for domination.
Oh, I'm researching Liberalism until 1 turn of completition. I was thinking about getting Steel with it. And no one has Paper yet!

I don't see anyone else doing this kind of report. Also, I see many of you talking about numberless tries on the save in few hours... If you guys think I should stop these reports, please let me know...

Top Bottom