DG4 Dicussion- Variations of Play

Bacon King

Emperor
Some people have been quitting the demogame because it is getting repetitive, and because it looses its fun when victory is assured. If we play DG4 with a harder variation to play, then that could keep people interested for longer. Some variations could help solve other problems as well.

For example, we could play a 5CC (5 city challenge) game, which would make our victory never assured, plus the provinces would be easy to keep track of, as we could do something like one city a province, or all cities in 1 province.

We could play on Diety, so we'd all have to work together with our combined skill to make iit.

We could play AW (always war), that nullify the FA, while making the Military more important.

We could play with a mod of some type.

The possibilities are endless. Discuss away!

Originally posted by Bacon King
Some people have been quitting the demogame because it is getting repetitive, and because it looses its fun when victory is assured. If we play DG4 with a harder variation to play, then that could keep people interested for longer. Some variations could help solve other problems as well.

For example, we could play a 5CC (5 city challenge) game, which would make our victory never assured, plus the provinces would be easy to keep track of, as we could do something like one city a province, or all cities in 1 province.
Possibly, but the map size must be small or standard to counter the negatives.
We could play on Diety, so we'd all have to work together with our combined skill to make iit.
No, there have been too many :smoke: moves in DG3 that we'd certainly loose. I don't mind a hard game, but I do mind an impossible game. Furthermore most regular posters aren't Deity-level players, so I fear this will throw them away from the game.
We could play AW (always war), that nullify the FA, while making the Military more important.
This is a very difficult game-type. On some maps, with the right Civ I can beat Regent, but on other maps I can't even beat chieftain AW. This is asking for a loss.
We could play with a mod of some type.
Sounds ok.

I also had the thought that the game was getting too repetetive and 'boring'. We do need a challenge. 5CC is an option, but was thinking of Emperor level, perhaps with some mods or agreements (like no prebuilds allowed; e.g. it is forbidden to change a buildqueue, except when emptyig the already collected shields by using the wealth option) or a map without a strategic recource like Oil or Iron.

Anyone objects to PTW?

what about that idea of getting the capital city to 20k culture points?

We have just earned the Camelot Award for Gorina. This award is given to any city that has made the World-top-5-city-list.

Perhaps our goal should be to have a city as number 1 city of the World. No matter what game result we achieve; if we don't achieve that, the game is considered lost. How does this plan for DG4 sound ? It certainly makes it a lot more difficult.

Ya never know Rik Meleet. In thirty turns...Gorina could be numero uno in this game. :thumbsup:

One of the most common complaints from DG2 was the difficulty factor. Specifically, it was so challenging to win the game that it became too restrictive.

I think the charm of the Demogame isn't in our communal ability to win the game (which is almost 100% assured no matter what we do). I believe the true appeal of the Demogame is the intangible aspect of the game - the roleplaying (not necessarily the RPG), the elections, the interactions between citizens, the dynamic of the entire process - those features that cannot be replicated in a single player game.

This is what we should emphasize in DG4, not some method of play (whether difficulty level, or victory conditions, etc.) that restricts our options and limits the choices available to our democracy.

agreed 40, if we make the game too hard we will continue to lose citizens. The objective for DG4 should be to get citizens to participate, not run away in fear ;). I like the idea of setting goals aside from trying to win the game, IE number 1 city in the game, the one cultured city(Gorina come close). I dont mind a scenario either, as for ptw we must make sure that those that play this game have ptw or we may not be able to play with PTW and may end up either sticking with vanilla civ or maybe if everyone gets it, just move onto Conquests

Perhaps I need to rephrase.

My main reason for my DG participation is Fun and enjoyment. I don't want a challenge here.

But if people leave this game because of being repetitive and boring then changing the difficulty might help.

And the more challenging the situation we are facing is, the fiercer and interesting the discussions will be.

I myself am fully enjoting the state of the nation now, as we are facing unhappyness which has jumped to exorbitant levels. I do like debates and heavy discussions, but I don't want people disagreeing with me because they belong to a different Political Party or other group.

Just some loose remarks.

I would like to see us actually become smaller, make the citizens more directly involved.

I would like to see a normal game, on a small map, continents, with the goal of a cultural victory. All conditions turned on, but we MUST win by culture only.

I think it would be an interesting challenge. The smaller country size will mean fewer cities, smaller provinces and (hopefully) better management and involvement of citizens.

-- Ravensfire

Originally posted by ravensfire
I would like to see a normal game, on a small map, continents, with the goal of a cultural victory. All conditions turned on, but we MUST win by culture only.

I think it would be an interesting challenge. The smaller country size will mean fewer cities, smaller provinces and (hopefully) better management and involvement of citizens.
And less cities means less cultural buildings so it takes longer to get 20k or 100k culture.

Actually, it may not mean longer for the capital to reach 20k.

Problem with that is you're at a huge disadvantage if your capitol is land-locked.

Having said that, the cultural victory objective is probably the least restrictive of the various methods of play. It could be fun to try a cultural victory, but I still caution against any method that limits the flexibility of the demogame dynamic. After all, what fun is it if we limit ourselves to a single path for victory?

Originally posted by FionnMcCumhall
we already did culture, how bout we shoot for a diplomatic victory

Oh, we did? Oops! Well, then we've done Culture and Domination, and should win via Spaceship, it MUST be time for diplomacy!

Wow, that could really be a tough one to do. I like it!

-- Ravensfire

actually it was a toss up between spaceship and culture but culture beat out the spaceship in DG1

For me, a Cultural Victory is always the strong sub-plot of any game. During any game, I'm trying to be growing aggressively, building my military in size and technology, and keeping a world opinion of my nation that allows me the perks of a first world nation. So, I never restrict my games by going for a Cultural win. It's just a constant for me. Most times the AI thwarts my efforts by somehow keeping the second place tribe a breath more than 50% of my culture score. :( Most times other Victory paths take hold. In DG1, we won by Culture with a massive Cultural Assault Strategy, but if the game hadn't determined us a Cultural winner that turn, we would have launched either the next turn or the turn after that. So I guess you're right, a Culture Victory goal is the least retrictive, but I'm thinking the 20k culture point Victory for the Capital city ould be our sub-plot for DG4. I believe it would inspire patriotism and focus it on our capital. We had that kind of patriotism for the capital in DG1. Fox Nest was a Capital city that everyone cheered for. Maybe we can bring that back in DG4.

Maybe we should do a conquest victory on a huge map.
I think that would be exciting.

I think a diplomatic victory for DG4 is the way to go. Less war, making the Military Leader less important and the FA even more important.
Since culture, domination and spaceship have been done...

Originally posted by conehead234
Maybe we should do a conquest victory on a huge map.
I think that would be exciting.
Speaking as a former Head of the Cartographic Office, I'd just like to say, "No.... Please no." ;)

Top Bottom