1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

DG6 Discussion: Keep the RPG?

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Demo Game V: Citizens' started by Civanator, Jan 11, 2005.

1. Ashburnham

Ashburnham King

My my my, that looks pretty intense. If this catches on for the next Demogame, I'd say you can count me in.

2. Civanator

Civanator Deity

Nobility and Caste Rules

1. All characters begin play in a specific caste (Imperial, Royal, High Noble, Noble, Upper Gentry, Lower Gentry, Common). It is possible for a character to become a higher (or lower) caste through appointments and storyline effects.

2. The default government of the captial of the nation will be a Feudalistic Monarchy, and all characters will start with their allegiance to the Kingdom. Of course, anyone can rebel and set up their own government system.

Code:
    Title male (female)           Class

King (Queen)                  Royalty
    Prince (Princess)             Royalty
    Archduke (Archduchess)   Royalty

High Lord (Lady)              High Noble
    Lord (Lady)                   High Noble
    Duke (Duchess)                High Noble

Marquis/Margrave (Marquessa)  Noble
    Earl/Count (Contessa)         Noble
    Viscount (Viscountess)        Noble
    Baron (Baroness)              Noble

Baronet                       Gentry (civ)
    Knight                        Gentry (mil)
    Squire                        Gentry (mil)

*Note: If a player manages to somehow unite all player's under one contigous territory, he or she will be deemed Emperor or Emperess

This is the standard system of Caste Ranking. It is default throughout the RPG as to prevent confusion.

3. Each caste gives a bonus for unit commanding.

Royalty: +5
    High Noble: +4
    Noble: +3
    Gentry: +2

4. Certain characters can give certain titles.

-The general rule for giving a title is that a character can only give a title up to 2 ranks below his. For example:

An Archduke can only give a character the title Lord and no higher.

-An exception to the rule is that a King or Queen can raise a character to Prince as that is considered naming an heir.

5. A certain amount of land is required before a character can attain certain ranks.

King/Prince: 36 tiles (Unless it is DG Captial territory)
    Archduke: 32
    High Lord: 28
    Lord: 24
    Duke: 21
    Marquis: 18
    Earl/Count: 15
    Viscount: 13
    Baron: 10
    Knights/Baronet: 2
    Squires: None

---
    I think that's it. Not much for Nobility rules, but we (or I actually) have to figure out a way to stop everyone from rebelling and declaring themselves Kings.

Edit - Aha! A land requirement! Adding it right now

The land requirements need much discussion, as I just added them on a whim basically. It is more a place holder, unless no one objects.

Some more thoughts- I am thinking that a multi-manager RPG would be best and not 1 manager. Since Cyc has volunteered for Conflict manager (A very daunting task indeed) I will volunteer for Game/Land Manager. I put Game and Land manager to 1: Keep it to 3 managers, so if there is a vote it will be clear, and 2: Game manager really doesn't do anything anyways. That leaves the question of Nobility Manager (tracking the 'Great' Houses and their titles. Also determining if a Title given to a character is resonable, which in most cases it is ;))
    More thoughts to come :)

3. Gres

Gres Chieftain

Wow, this almost seems like a whole other game :) Love it!
    To be honest as I was reading this I felt that a knight shouldn't be put with a squire... :blush: That's all :D
    I am confused as to how a person "owns" tiles. How would one aquire these tiles? Are there a limited amount? The amount in the game?
    Do you think you could post the very basic fundamentals of the game? :)

4. Ashburnham

Ashburnham King

Gres is right, this sounds like an entirely different game from the Demogame. I'm not sure how we would be able to play them both concurrently. You say this system (or the rough equivilent) was used in past games, how exactly did that work? From what you're proposing now, I could only see this working if the "real" Demogame and the RPG were totally seperate worlds.

5. Cyc

Cyc Looking for the door...

Let me see if I can help.

I believe the available map and possibly the Technology for the DG and the RPG will be the same. The in-game grid will supply the tiles. In DG2, the game allowed everyone to start their own business and any gold the made from sales or service was deposited in THE BANK. The Real Estate Manager distributed the land ties through an auction and people that had accumalted wealth would bid on the tiles. Then the income process Civ mentioned earlier (f/s/c) from each tile would support units.

6. Octavian X

Octavian X is not a pipe.

What did I do this time? :p

The only thing I'd add is that we should avoid keeping track of individual tiles in the game, for one main reason: It's a pain in the behind.

What I'd suggest is that land be bought and sold in larger chunks of tiles, maybe groups of 10-20 tiles a piece, all in geographic districts held constant throughout the game. The only real reason we'd take such an action would simply be to avoid the headache that comes when you take to accouting for individual tiles, making labelling maps and record-keeping easier since each of those chunks of land could be given unique names - The County of Fanatica, The Principality of Cyc, etc. - so as to further individualize it.

Troop movements, then, could be simpler and faster since it wouldn't be necessary for units to move across one tile at a time, considerably speeding up combat and generally making the game more exciting.

7. classical_hero

classical_hero In whom I trust

The only good game in this games RPG was "Murder at the temple". That was great fun.

8. Ashburnham

Ashburnham King

So...no. The RPG (if it starts up) will have no bearing on the Demogame itself? I understand it will be based on what we know in the DG, but nothing that happens in it will affect the game itself?

In that case, I'm eager to see this RPG start up.

9. Civanator

Civanator Deity

Gres- Tiles or territory is given by a ruling player, or the King of the country. The tiles are limited to the cultural boundaries of the DG.
    About squires: I should add that one must become a Squire to attain the rank of Knight. Or maybe moving Knight to Noble class? And then move Marquis to High Noble?

Ashburnham- Yes, the RPG and DG will be 2 totally seperate worlds, but the RPG is influenced by the DG. If in the DG we go to war with a nation, in the RPG we are at war with that nation. And yes, the RPG doesn not affect the DG. Only the DG can affect the RPG.

Octavian- That's a great idea. But when creating a territory, the boundaries may conflict with these 'chunks'. Maybe dividing the land into sections or sectors or something to that effect, and have the movement be based on that. And there is no problem with territories splitting the section, as a unit's movement ends when it enters a territory without an RoP. Also, alot of these rules may/will change depending on DG6. This is just to get a rule set in place. Most likely we will decide on sections or tiles, but it is a good idea nontheless.
    Oh and you weren't accused of cheating, I just said that a powerful player who is also a conflict or land manager could be accused of cheating.

To Everyone- Thank you for your enthusiasm. Even though I have the majority of the posts, I've been watching the viewed counter steadily increase ;). If anyone has questions just ask :)

10. GenMarshall

GenMarshall Night Elven Ghost Agent

Versailles City, Vekta, United Terran Systems
    I hope that this wont result in an economic sim like the RPG of DG2 was like.

If Possible, I would like to help along with the titles of nobility once the RPG is running.

11. Civanator

Civanator Deity

Just so anyone who wants to be a manager in the future, you should know that being a Conflict, Land, or Nobility requires a good amount of time and energy to keep up. In that order, respectively, is how much time and energy each takes. Conflict needs a manager who can be around almost every day, while Land it may be every other day, and Nobility twice a week, if that. No offense to anyone, but being a manager of the RPG is not like being elected in the DG, sometimes we can't have everyone try each spot.

12. Gres

Gres Chieftain

I volunteer to be a Nobility Manager on several conditions :)
    1. I can still play the RPG
    2. If you all trust me (Because I am relatively new, I am trustworthy though ;))
    3. Someone explains to me just what a nobility manager is.

I won't take offense if there are objections to me being a manager :) As long as you say it politely and have valid reason ;)

13. Strider

Strider In Retrospect

From my quick scan over, and from my experience, here's some things you might want to think about:

Add Character Trait:
    Dexterity- Balance and hand-eye coordination. Would be usful for any jousting/throwing contests.

Make Business's Useful:
    One of the major downfalls in the DG2 RPG, which I did not expect was the stores/shops. There was really no point in buying any of it, it did nothing for you. I see one way, currently, that can be changed.

Effieciency counter: Give all items a small point percentage, which is then added together in the building the items is located in. The tile the building is located in then produces the extra percentage of gold. IE:

Tile ??? produces 7 gold per turn
    Tile ??? has a Large Mansion located on it that has a percentage rating of 38.67%
    7 * 38.67% = 2.7 (rounded up to 3)
    7 + 3 = 10
    So then the tile will produce 10 gold instead of it's normal 7.

More Managers, not less
    The DG2 RPG had only 4 managers, we don't need to do that again. Create more than one conflict manager, more than one land manager. Split up the Conflict Managers and land managers by area, like we do with govonors and provinces. This cuts down on the workload and also gives the information to the players sooner.

14. Civanator

Civanator Deity

We really only need one Nobility manager, and maybe have 2 conflict managers and multiple Land managers. This all depends on how the DG gains land and such.

The problem with businesses is that people aren't required to use them, but giving benefits may make them use a business. What we need is people to discuss these ideas.

Great ideas as always Strider :)

15. Strider

Strider In Retrospect

I was just thinking, if you were to use the effiency "system" you would have to create a new manager(s) to keep track of items etc.

16. Civanator

Civanator Deity

:bump:

Strider- efficiency 'system'? You lost me there, or I just lost myself :lol:

Does anyone else have any comments? Please, comments and suggestions are highly encouraged.

17. Civanator

Civanator Deity

*ehem* bump. Anyone have any thoughts on anything? Or am I at freedom to do as I feel for the rules?

18. Strider

Strider In Retrospect

Just make them good :).

19. blackheart

blackheart unenlightened

More importantly, keep them active.

20. Civanator

Civanator Deity

Hmm... What I can't decide on is whether to use the efficiency system Strider proposed.

I was also thinking, maybe implementing some sort of 'Battlefield Tactics.' For instance, if you want to have your knights sharge straight up the middle, or have them try to flank the enemy while shock troops split the middle formation. Any thoughts on this, or some possibilities on types of tactics, and requirements to use them?

EDIT- I've put a rough draft of the rules into a *.txt file incase anyone wants to look at it offline. I'll put a link in this post and in the main post, as it will most likely change.

Attached Files: