Did latest update change vanilla AI city planting?

planetfall

Emperor
I'm not sure if this is new behavior or not. Latest game, vanilla, settler, tiny. The 2nd AI city was nextdoor to my capital. It was quite a ways from their capital. Annoying as they used to put initial city builds by their capital. I just started this game after this month's update, so pondering if this is a change, or just new to me.

Anyone seen this, if so, how do you counter it.

My first playtrough with the new patch, England AI planted the 2nd city quite far. It did not bother me much as it not was in my direction. Then, 3rd and 4th city filling the gap.

It’s a strategy I also use to lock some lebensraum or ensure certain resources, so I dunnonif they have coded the AI to do this properly. If it is planting the city too near to your capital, it may be not.

Need to check if Bristol was there securing resources (nevertheless, England has started this game quite cornered, so looking to ensure espace might be just a reason here.

AIs on vanilla loved forward settling. It's possible that you've just noticed it. The solution is Rise & Fall - the loyalty mechanic means they don't do it anymore, or lose the city to you anyway.

The 2nd AI city was nextdoor to my capital.
Yes, that was classic vanilla AI behaviour, common and painfully familiar.
Anyone seen this, if so, how do you counter it.
Declare war and take the settler, before it settles. That requires you having some troops, scouting out the approaching settler and setting up an ambush.

I haven't noticed a difference but I have perfected the cultural alliance rug pull - plant and rapidly grow cities right on their border while you have a CA, they simultaneously plant crappy cities near you that don't grow, CA lapses, their cities fall into your lap, lather rinse repeat.

Top Bottom