1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Diplogame community needs help! UN / Tech mod requested

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Creation & Customization' started by Robert Plomp, Jul 8, 2006.

1. Robert Plomp

Robert Plomp Apolyton Admin

Hello fellow modders,

I'm a part of the diplogame community.
    We play laaaaarge multiplayer games with much roleplaying and storytelling. Our current game lasts already for 17 3,5 hour sessions. We're playing an 8 player game and look for starting a 12 player game soon.

We have two issues and we hope that anybody of you can help us to fix this.

United Nations
    We want the following changes for the UN:

- all nations should be electable, not only the builder and the one with the largest population
    - the UN-builder, the one with the largest population and the one with the largest landmass should have a veto
    - UN resolutions should be able to be ignored by nations. This must be made known to all nations of the world
    - Possibility to enforce a trade embargo on any nation (close borders, no trade possible in any way)

Tech Trade mod
    We currently have a fair policy: only trade techs that you invented yourself or got for peacenegotiation. Is it possible for anybody to mod this into the game? Thus: only if you did research a tech for 100% yourself you can trade/give it to other, or if you had a war with a civilization which surrenders and gives you a tech (or more) in exchange.

If anybody could make such a mod for us that would be awesome!
    Your name will shine for always in the history of Diplogaming!

CyberShy

2. Robert Plomp

Can anybody do this?

3. Teg_Navanis

Teg_Navanis King

Apart from the first change (all nations should be electable), which is rather easy to do, all your requested modifications are pretty complex and time-consuming. I'm afraid you'll be hard pressed to find anyone willing to realize such a mod.

4. Padmewan

Padmewan King

I'm interested in several of the changes you've described for our single-player mod, but these changes are not on our immediate list of to-dos. From my cursory examination of the code, diplomacy seems to be the most obscure and opaque parts of the system. In fact, from what I understand the diplomacy UI is actually hard-coded and beyond the reach of Python / C++. Still, I would like for the UN leader to be elected from among the most popular, not the largest, though for your game that would be meaningless.

So, no ETA from us, but if someone else beats us to it, all the better for everyone.

5. Robert Plomp

Thanks a lot. I understand that it's pretty difficult. I'm looking into the SDK myself as well already (no C++ experience, other programming experience though)

If someone can help me by pointing out where the code is that needs to be changed, that would be a great help!

And if things can't be changed then so be it.

6. Teg_Navanis

Teg_Navanis King

Most of the UN code is in the CvGame.cpp (isTeamVote, isChooseElection, isTeamVoteEligible, countVote and so on).

I guess you can make all teams eligible for the vote if you just reprogram isTeamVoteEligible to always return 'true'.

Other than that, I don't know what could be implemented.

For the tech trade mod, you'd first have to program a new variable that is only set to true when you have researched a tech youself (dunno how much you have to change in order to do that), and then check for this variable in canTradeItem in CvPlayer.cpp.

7. OzzyKP

OzzyKP Emperor

Another idea I'd like to see for the UN is for the wonder to automatically generate peacekeeper units, like Civ3 wonders. THe peacekeeper units wouldn't carry any nation's flag, like the Civ3 privateer unit.

8. Judge Dee

Judge Dee District Magistrate

ozzykp: wouldn't that be open to a fair amount of abuse? who would be controlling these units? the sec-general civ? what happens when the leadership shifts? would they be able to pillage etc. with impunity?

a nice idea, but i found those questions leaping to mind almost immediately. not sure what that says about me.

9. OzzyKP

OzzyKP Emperor

Well this mod would be primarily/exclusively used for our diplogame, which is MP. So if they get abused the other players will respond.

My suggestion is to have the troops just be controlled by the player who builds the UN.

10. Robert Plomp

I've been able to make everybody electable, thanks Teg_Navanis for your directions!!
    Now I'm busy trying to make it so that you can vote for everybody except yourself. It's a little bit harder :D

11. OzzyKP

OzzyKP Emperor

The tech mod would still be great to have if possible.

ANd perhaps have it adjustable also on how many times you cna trade a tech.