Diplomacy for Team SABER

jb1964

Hunter of Fish
OK team, if we were to make these guys a nearly equal partner in an alliance against F&C then how would that look?

Or, do we let them rot?

Had a chat w/ Saber.

They want contact w/ FREE. Council and Babes won't deal. Any objection to either giving or selling it to them?

Also, Saber is playing the "We make 3" card. They are seeing themselves as pivitol in this game being the only team able to give the other two the numerical edge.

Whomp is really opposed to this. Bugs wants to sign them up before F&C do. If we think they're of no real value that's fine. If we want to push to bring Saber into the fold then we need to vote on it and push the Babes to relent.

Looks like you are on top of it all JB :goodjob:! I dont see what Saber has to offer us besides gold? But sooner or later they will meet Free, so we might as well get some gold out of the deal, and maybe offer BABEs to split it (perhaps in 10 turns or so when education is out there).

If they have anything besides gold then go ahead. How much gold do they have?

-Nate

What the value of a contact w/ FREE and is it even worth haggeling?

It would be nice if Saber could go to FREE and said, "Council didn't want us to talk w/ you. The Gongers gave us the contact for a song"

In reality I'm sure Council and FREE are likely trying to sell the contact and split anything that comes of it.

Although I would like the security of a 3v2 it appears as if none of the other four teams are looking at Saber as needed.

contact for contact? or have we met everyone?

Everybody's on the RADAR for us.

Contact for gold, information, map, future trades, etc.?

I think contact for first right of refusal for luxes once trades are available sounds pretty cool. Any objections?

I'm kinda confused, jb, are you for or against doing it? and what do you mean refusal of trade? I noticed in one of them you guys were talking about messages having to be passed through someone else, is this connected to that at all? Confused...you can tell i'm a n00b.

-Nate

We have a treaty w/ the Babes that lasts to the end of time. There are some things we need to run past each other and trading luxes w/ other teams is not one of those things.

The "first right of refusal" is just a term that means that Saber needs to deal luxes w/ us if they have them and we're given the first option to turn them down. Which we're not going to do.

Ah, I see. Is the need to deal with us first because of a part of the treaty of just because we'd be connected first, or what? I agree, don't turn them down.

Ah, I see. Is the need to deal with us first because of a part of the treaty of just because we'd be connected first, or what? I agree, don't turn them down.

The Gong/Babe treaty is now entered into the "Hall of Documents"... I was thinking of "The Hall of documents and good beer recipes" but if I did that we would lose track of the treaty again.

@Nate...
The way things went was the following...
We sent out a few ships but they sank. After we were pretty happy w/ the farmer gambit and culture route we were happy to remain isolated. In the mean time Free & Council (a.k.a. FC Axis or Axis of Dirtbags (AoD) ) were the first to hook up and get all techie like. The Babes built the Great Lib and set about meeting everyone. The AoD wasn't keen on working w/ the Babes and the Babes, for reasons that run deeper than my mother-in-law's love for fried foods, had NO interest in cooperating w/ Saber. We became the default partner for the Babes.

Now here's the hitch... I honestly don't think the Babes have been keeping tabs on us, because we're zero threat w/ the treaty and everything, and have not figured out we've already unleashed a culture bomb. The AoD are both getting culture growth but that's because they're both Scientific and building cheap libs.

BTW, we're all a bunch of goofs so if you read anything in here and think it's just stupid, well... it is and it's meant to be that way. Also, never take offense at anything unless it's really blatant and from Bugs. With him it's meant to be personal and he tends to lose it every so often and goes postal on the first person he comes across. He once disparaged a newb to the point where we could almost hear the tears hitting the keyboard. The admins tried to ban him but he's got pictures in a safe deposit box. Rik fears him.

So if SABER's just kinda pidgeon holed into trying to be with us, would he be the easy target to knock around for a while? 'Tis not fun to not fight at least in the beginning. However, SABER's also turtled in.

Oh, and as you were saying earlier about AoD trying to sell the contact and splitting it, then I do think we should sell it for as much as they'll trade. Even if we don't get much - which we should always go for as much beer as we can tap - we can keep AoD from pulling anything then it's good, right?

-Nate

P.S - the Bugsy stuff was pretty funny. I don't remember him from when I first started, he must have joined during my long absense, but I've heard of him. What type of pictures are we not wanting to look at?

Message to SABER...

Given the configuration of this world it really looks that all teams will be hanging out for a very long time to come.

If the Gongers were to invest in Saber and gift you up to technological parity we would like that deal to come w/ a long-term peace agreement, luxury swapping, and technological cooperation. Technology would be researched and shared evenly. This would include the free tech Team Saber receives at the beginning of each new age. Technology would not be shared in any way with team Free and Council.

An agreement of this nature is going to pit Teams Saber, Babe, and Gong against teams Free and Council. But given the nature of how contact unfolded it's the world we're stuck with and there's too much momentum, in my opinion, to fracture the Free/Council alliance. After our agreements run out w/ the Babes we could align with Free & Council ourselves but that's not our first choice.

Now, team Babe is still not on board with this, however, if we announce a long-term peace agreement with Saber it will force the Babes to set aside their grudges and create the 3v2 scenario, and edge, we both are looking for.

Also, do you have any treaties or agreements with either Free or Council that would prohibit an agreement of this nature? If so please advise me so I'm not trying to negotiate the impossible.

Thanks,

jb

Council has offered Saber Education and other techs for 1/3 monopoly cost. Should we try to undercut this offer and sell Edu ourselves to Saber? Can someone give them a reply? The two numbers that immediately come to mind are 30% and 25%, but we can always tell them to shove it.

Can't without breaking the babe's treaty - not worth breaking the treaty for 30% of edu in my book.

I think we just ask BABE, and see what they say. They will probably want a cut, the 25% take is 330 gold, and 30% is 396 for education.

Top Bottom