Diplomatic Victory Processing Order

Chocolate Pi

Chieftain
So, here's something fun:
  • The game seems to run a victory check immediately for each resolution, in listed order.
This means that:
  • At 18/19, if you would win from majority vote VPs from either of the first two resolutions, you will still win even if you would lose -3 VP and go back under 20 from the last one.
Note that if voting against yourself results in -2 VP added at once. (Not +1 then -3, so it won't trigger a victory at 19.)

Things to test:
  • What happens if multiple players hit 20 on the same session/vote? Does it just trigger the victory in player seat order like Cultural?

It probably goes by ID. it's physically impossible to run the check at the same time twice.... computer power-wise... it has to run through a loop.

So if we are to assume the check is done, it probably goes through the player IDs, with 0 being the default human player in SP.

It probably goes by ID. it's physically impossible to run the check at the same time twice.... computer power-wise... it has to run through a loop.

So if we are to assume the check is done, it probably goes through the player IDs, with 0 being the default human player in SP.
That does not mean they can't loop through each candidate, and then apply some other criteria to break ties.

That does not mean they can't loop through each candidate, and then apply some other criteria to break ties.

Depends entirely, again, on how it's coded.

If it just does EvaluateVictory(playerID); then whoever returns true first will be given the win.

Also what "other" criteria could there even be? It's probably the simplest, by ID.

Depends entirely, again, on how it's coded.

If it just does EvaluateVictory(playerID); then whoever returns true first will be given the win.

Also what "other" criteria could there even be? It's probably the simplest, by ID.
score points ? if only because its only functional purpose is to break ties. I don't think i'd offend anyone by stating its a very lackluster metric but it's there.

The ties thing is relatively unimportant and will basically never happen.

What is important is the ability to semi-consistently win the game at 18 VP instead of 20.

The ties thing is relatively unimportant and will basically never happen.

What is important is the ability to semi-consistently win the game at 18 VP instead of 20.

Although to be fair.... if we don't have that tie-breaker then the game becomes unwinnable, because you are likely to get in a endless loop of gaining no victory points, and there's no guarantee that Aids will come up and you'll have to wait a while before you can get the World's Fair,Games etc to pop up (particularly if Sweden is in the game theirs don't provide VPs)

From what i could detect in the basic function(s) that process the entire set of resolutions (including regular tasks+emergencies+aids+etc & the straight VP allocations where AI could gang up against your highest total under transit) the reachable +20/Points instances are entirely isolated from the newest combined results but then, are kept **after** the final tally would stop at 19(-) for everyone.

Sooooooo -- whichever amounts have risks to nullify a definitive winner **before** miscellaneous extra values get properly stacked in speculative real totals.. the actual Tie-Breaker "patterns" are still in effect IF anything might cause a stuck/loop condition or mis-calculated status by accidental negative interference(s) from extras.

PS; BTW.. It just so happened i've got such a weird coincidental reachable 20 state for my current game & those extra votes didn't interfere in my finalized DiploVictory status.

Last edited:
Top Bottom