Discovered how the map generates horses

Patch has been released, and as Astax corrected me on the tech, "- Animal Husbandry reveals Horses."
Also with the worldbuilder issues fixed, revealing all tiles proves Astax correct one the 2nd part aswell. I revealed all tiles and it showed where oil would be located. When I placed a unit next to the tile and exited the worldbuilder, the oil vanished since i didn't have the tech needed.

I've gotten horses on a Deity starting position before. Not with the patch though. I don't have the patch.

I decided to test this myself, and on the second Deity map generated, (Standard Continents), there were horses within the initial 9 tile radius.

i was reading this thread and decided to try this, and i also found that (on the first game, 13th game, and 19 out of 20) horses were in the first 9 grid squares, but i found that most things like corn or rice are very common (14 out of 20)
Iron copper, oil etc. Are less common, (11 out of 20) and the other ones, like ivory horses and luxury apearred the least ( 4 out of 20)

it has to do with giving the civ there uniq unit, so ifyour persia it won't start in your 9, with others it will... diff isn't the issue.. atleast for me it isn't

did you try out with 18 civs?
coz I think the number of the civs is a problem here
else if you start on standard settings the horses do spawn in city borders as I already corrected myself

Hypothesis:

Could there be a modifier in which if a rival civ starts within X tiles of you, you don't receive horses? The reason for this being that (pre-patch) all players with horses make a bee-line to husbandary and will quickly capture the rival capital (which would be classed as a major screw in multiplayer).

I have another theory. The istartinglocation says something about how good your starting position can be compared to other civs. So if there's many civs, noone could start with horses because it would mean the other civs needs too many resources to have a good enough starting position.

Gufnork said:
I have another theory. The istartinglocation says something about how good your starting position can be compared to other civs. So if there's many civs, noone could start with horses because it would mean the other civs needs too many resources to have a good enough starting position.

This sounds a reasonable explanation.
If you also take the stats of Not_Bob for true this means
1 horse resource would equal 3.5 food resources and
other 2.75 strategic resources as a game weight.

However how do you explain the complete absence of Horses when you start with 18 civs? Means you even dont have horses inbetween cities.

The calculation isn't just based on the squares immediatly surrounding your first settler, but the area the settler starts in. After all, you could move it before you found your city. With 18 civs there's not much space that isn't in the immediate area of a civ. But it's just a wild theory.

Top Bottom