djb-4: "Mac v. PC Tech Rate Evaluation"

End Notes: Poprush a spearman at Berlin next turn because it will help to reduce the foreign population and free up the 2 swordman army (consider a third swordman or wait for a longbow) and 3 horsemen currently inside Berlin. Try to keep the supply road from Rheims to Besacon intact as shown in the above image. Germany has Monotheism, Monarchy, and the Republic, and will currently offer 1 tech for peace. Persia wants 80 gold for peace, which you should consider paying if they show up at our relatively undefended southern cities. All of the other known civs are in Monarchy or Anarchy.

Edit:
-dojoboy
-Zwingli
-Tuxurce<---------------Up Now
-DiamondzAndGunz<--Next

I'm glad to see that someone else occaionally loses unguarded workers - it might be my worst Civ habit. Good work, Zwingli - you have enough momentum in Germany that I have to ask: should we basically knock them out and build the FP in their territory, or make the first advantageous peace? I'm tempted to expand once along the SE end of the lake, and maybe S in the jungle, but wonder whether we'll have enough German holdings that it's time to start thinking about consolidation, and doing something about that tech rate.

A dfferent way of putting it is: are we going for an earthly reward, or a celestial one?

Let's knock out Germany and build the FP. With this landmass, we're going to have some unproductive cities if we assimilate another civ beside Germany. This doesn't mean we can't weaken a few. Plus, we don't need to keep Germany around w/ the number of civs inhabiting the continent. Putting off the FP will hurt our total turn-advantage to the end-game. Speaking of which, how do we want to win the game? Space-race will give us a good look at the techs throughout the game.

I agree on starting the FP soon since you can't really depend on a leader with a non-militaristic civ. The forces around Berlin consist of 4 horsemen, 4 swordmen, and the army which may not be enough to wipe Germany from the map quickly depending on losses. There aren't many reinforcements (unless you upgrade regular warriors) on the way since I went into semi-consolidation mode and built some temples. You could probably take a few more of Germany's valuable cities, then get what you can for peace leaving Germany with a couple worthless tundra cities.

As for conquest/domination vs. spacerace/diplomatic I don't have much of a preference at this point (although a "tech win" might be more appropriate). In either case it might be best to go after America after some consolidation to get some more land around the palace.

Also, for some strange reason Cologne is founded on top of a cow. Perhaps at some point we could disband it into a settler and move it north.

Sounds good. Germany will be reduced to a vassal state, we will build a FP on its bones, and begin a debate in Paris about life on other planets. Down the road, Boston and its iron also have to join the Greater Parisian Co-Prosperity Sphere.

Indeedy. We should make quick work of Germany, regroup, and go after America. That should leave us in a better position than the rest of the civs on our continent, and allow us to safely develope our civ, and do just about all of our own research.

We should also take more of the jungle, since those cities will be fairly close to our capitol, and potentially useful later on. Not only that, it could provide us with rubber later on.

0. I decided that the wars against Germany and the America would be best won
by swords, so I switched horse production to spears, and started upgrading
warriors.
1. Cologne falls to swords, one of two pillagers killed. Workers proceed as
programmed.
2. Task Force North wheels toward the northern German cities. The last pillager
is killed.
3. Start Heroic Epic in Paris, in best case scenario as a placeholder for the Chapel.
4. The army, with a third sword added, takes Konigsberg. Military now consists of
one army, 14 swords, 10 spears, and 5 horse.
5. Marseilles starts a temple, Orleans a settler. Defense forces block 2 Persian
spears.
6. Sword and horses take Frankfurt.
7. Tours starts aqueduct. Task Force South (six swords) destroys Nuremberg.
8. Republic researched. War in hand , so we enter anarchy. It will end in 4 turns.
9. With Immortals approaching, it's time to give Persia 80g for peace.
10. Babylon and Germany declare peace. Babylon builds the Hanging Gardens.
Rheims starts aqueduct. Munich and Leipzig hold against insufficient forces.
11. Swords take Hamburg.
12. Konigsberg flips back just before we become a republic. War requires 20%
luxury plus some deferred workers. Engineering will be researched in 28
turns at -3gpt.
13. Units regroup.
14. America builds the Great Lighthouse. Chartres starts temple. Leipzig falls to
army.
15. Units mass for final assaults.
16. Persia declares war on Babylon. Konigsberg falls to swords. Munich falls to
army, sword. Germany down to its capital in Russian sphere of influence, plus
one offshore. Peace gives us monotheism, literature, monarchy, and
Heidelburg offshore. We're behind only Persia and babylon in tech - they have
feudalism. Luxury dropped to zero, engineering in 16 turns.
17. Swords deploy south for assault on Boston. Workers chop trees in Berlin to
hurry temple. Intent is to then rush courthouse there, start on FP.
18. Lyons starts granary.
19. Units heal, shift.
20. Rouen founded W of Moscow, near horses. Orleans starts market. Marseilles starts aqueduct. Besancon starts temple.

The superpower at 250 AD

Below is a map of France, which just made it into one screenshot. Let's see how the sharpness turned out, DnG.

The superpower at 250 AD

In the meantime, I only get gibberish when I try to download the game i saved, but the case and spelling are right this time. I'll fiddle with it right now.

Well, the link to your screenshot doesn't work, but the save downloads fine.

If I understand correctly, we're still at war with Germany, right? It might be nice to go for peace now, and then just attack their last city. I mean, our rep is ruined already, so I don't see too much of a problem in ruining it any more :). Peace looks pretty appealing as we'll get a couple of techs.

Since America built the lighthouse, that's just another bonus we're gonna get when we take them over. We're gonna want to start exploration soon to look for those two missing civs. They're likely behind in tech, but could also be a new source of revenue to trade off techs to, and also a new source of luxury/resources.

DnG:

First things first. I'm glad the game downloads on your computer, if not mine. I have tried uploading my screenshot a few times - djb-4, 250 AD.jpg - and am told it was duly uploaded, but it;s not in the uoloads file.

Now on to the secondary stuff. I'm sorry I wasn't clear - I made peace with Germany in turn 16.

Originally posted by Txurce
Now on to the secondary stuff. I'm sorry I wasn't clear - I made peace with Germany in turn 16.

Alright then. Would everyone approve then if I broke the peace and took their last city? :D

It's not their last city, even if you could reach it. They also just popped a second city on the island with the city they gave us. You'll need boats to do so. But otherwise, I don't care. We're #1 in every meaningful category, and have ana rmy and a bunch of swords to deal with potential threats. Another reason to take out Germany at some point is that their capital has iron, and we are on the verge of leaving only Persia and Babylon with any. That said, I would at least take Boston first, before the Americans can bulk up.

Yeah, once again I misunderstood. You said in your write up Germany was down to it's capital + on island city. Then you said you got some techs + an island city for peace. You can probably understand what happened.

I checked out the save. America doesn't have Fuedalism yet, everyone else does. If we wanna take over America, we should do it ASAP, since once they get Pikemen, it'll be over for us until Knights. I'm feeling too sick to play right now ( :cry: ) but I'll play first thing tomorrow.

dojoboy- Up next
Zwingli-
Txurce-
DiamondzAndGunz- Up now

I normally do not employ this particular tactic (Peace extort -> immediate war) since the AI does not seem to learn to cope with repeated extortion cycles. In this case, we would be just be wiping out Germany for little additional gain (besides flip protection) so I would not be opposed to it. :viking:

Edit: Oh, I see that Germany can't be immediately eliminated, but that is my view on the matter anyway.

Breaking the peace deal w/ Germany is fine w/ me. Like Zwingli, its not something I usually do, but I have done it.

@Txurce: I believe I know why your link isn't working like we're use to. The save you uploaded is not zipped. If zipped, it would download "normally." However, to download a save file (not zipped), right click on the link and save to desktop. Thanks to DnG for this bit of advice.

Thanks, Dojoboy.

DnG, as soon as you take Boston - and it could be done in one turn - the Americans will no longer have iron even if they trade for feudalism. I agree that we should move on them right away... and you may not want to wait for all the swords to arrive before hitting Beantown.

Originally posted by Txurce
Thanks, Dojoboy.

DnG, as soon as you take Boston - and it could be done in one turn - the Americans will no longer have iron even if they trade for feudalism. I agree that we should move on them right away... and you may not want to wait for all the swords to arrive before hitting Beantown.

That's why I said we need to do it ASAP. If we hold off taking Boston, they'll get Fuedalism and upgrade their spears to pikes.

Ok, just a note here- Didn't document all the fighting due to all that was going on. Would've been pretty confusing and cumbersome having to refer to every battle- "Swordsmen south of Boston kills spearmen, Swordsmen north of Boston kills archer" etc. Just documented the important battles.

250- Traded world maps with Russia
Declare war on America
260- Capture Boston with one sword, got a worker
270- Rush spears in Boston
Mines near Berlin complete
280- Spear in Boston complete
Killed American sword outside Boston
Road near Berlin complete
290- Road near Cologne done
300- Civil disorder in Berlin, added entertainer
Mines near cologne complete
Americans pillage near Orleans
310- Rheims completes aqueduct, starts swords
320- Avignon completes temple, starts barracks
330- Lyons completes granary, starts barracks
Chartes completes temple, starts swords
340-
350- Got engineering
Traded to Babs for theology, Fuedalism, world map, 8 gold, and worker.
Traded to Russia for 32 gold and world map
Traded to Persia for 13 gold and world map
Germany had no cash, so didn't trade it off to them, they didn't have theology yet
Capture Chicago
America captures Heidelburg
360- Orleans and Tours finish swords
370- Disorder in Rheims
Luxury set to 20%
380- Berlin completes temple, starts courthouse
Orleans completes swords
390- Elite swords outside Boston spawn leader, Richelieu. Rush Sistine.
400- Sistine finished
410- Orleans and Marseilles finish swords
420-
430- Paris finishes swords, starts epic as prebuild for... whatever.
440- Orleans finishes swords
Frankfurt finishes temple, starts pike
Rheims, tours, Marseilles finish swords
450- Lyons finishes swords
Rouen connected via road

The first part of the war was offensive, capturing two cities. The Americans then started to march their swords and archers around, and it became more of a defensive war, trying to knock out the swordsmen/archers before they got too close. Our military was also too small at the beginning to capture any more, but is steadily growing and we should be able to get back on the offensive soon. The Americans look like they're finally running out of swords.

I wasn't too sure what to do with the GL at first, and decided rushing sistine would work best. It would've taken around 40 turns even with the prebuild, and I'm sure the other civs would've finished it sooner.

We're pretty much on par with everyone in terms of technology. We've got Chivalry coming up in just a few turns, which could definately speed up the war.

dojoboy- Up now
Zwingli- Up next
Txurce-
DiamondzAndGunz-

Top Bottom