Do promises not work with human opponents?

megabearsfan

Prince
Playing an MP game (in Hot Seat) with a friend. I was Ottomans, and she was Maori. She settled a city near me in order to claim a natural wonder that was near my territory. I asked her to promise not to settle new cities near me. Asking for this promise cost me 30 favor (as normal) (which happened to be ALL of my accumulated favor at the time). However, when her turn came around, she saw the message from me asking for the promise, but the only option she had was "Goodbye". She did not have the option to refuse the promise or accept it.

Here is a screenshot of what she saw:

Just as a test, she went on to settle another city near my capital to see if it would generate grievances as if she had made the promise. It did not.

So, is asking for a promise in multiplayer effectively just throwing your Diplo Favor away? Is this perhaps a bug (maybe specific to hot seat)? Are other players seeing similar lack of functionality in other MP modes?

Last edited:
It's not just throwing your diplo favor away, it's throwing it away twice. First, I have 30 favor:
Spoiler :

I ask for not settling too close and lose those 30:
Spoiler :

I check the warning as player 2:
Spoiler :

The next turn with player 1, 30 favor is deducted again, resulting in negative favor:
Spoiler :

Thus, I'm unable to vote in the congress as player 1, even with the first free vote:
Spoiler :

Luckily, shift+enter still works.

OT: I know these are good...
Spoiler :

...but a dedicated fan? :lol:

If you settle after your opponent asked you not to doesn't it generate grievance points? I'm not sure if that matters much in MP but it IS something.

It's not just throwing your diplo favor away, it's throwing it away twice. First, I have 30 favor:

Ouch, I hadn't noticed that. Maybe I'll reload the game and double check.

OT: I know these are good...
Spoiler :

...but a dedicated fan? :lol:

Hahahaha! I had no idea such a thing existed. Perhaps this should be my new avatar moving forward. Do they come in cinnamon flavor? I'm not a big fan of gummy candies (more of a chocolate and ice cream guy), but my girlfriend loves cinnamon bears.

If you settle after your opponent asked you not to doesn't it generate grievance points? I'm not sure if that matters much in MP but it IS something.

We did not see grievance points, as specified in OP. It was under the screenshot, so maybe you scrolled past it?

So the double-deduction of favor definitely looks like a bug. Should the non-functionality of promises, and the lack of associated grievances also be considered a bug? Or is this by design? I certainly hope it's not by design. The nice thing about the grievances is that they should work the same for human players as they do for the A.I.s, so IMO human players should be able to make promises to each other and earn grievances for breaking them. Perhaps a mod should move this to the "BUGS" sub-forum?

Are promises and grievances similarly bugged in other multiplayer modes?

Hahahaha! I had no idea such a thing existed. Perhaps this should be my new avatar moving forward. Do they come in cinnamon flavor? I'm not a big fan of gummy candies (more of a chocolate and ice cream guy), but my girlfriend loves cinnamon bears.
Not that I'm aware of, but who knows? I'm more of an ammonium chloride guy myself (Super Piratos and stuff like that).
So the double-deduction of favor definitely looks like a bug. Should the non-functionality of promises, and the lack of associated grievances also be considered a bug? Or is this by design? I certainly hope it's not by design.
Doesn't make any sense to have the feature in like this, IMO. In any case, I'll report the definite bug to 2K support.

Top Bottom