Do the ground combat bonuses for Subterannean and Heavy-G stack?

malicious bloke

Warlord
With each other and with a standard racial +20 bonus?

Or can you only have one?

I guess a race that has a natural +60 ground attack without equipment would be a bit narsty

I would expect they do, but not sure if I ever had a chance to see it as you have to be attacked as a sub and a HG to test it.

The huge ground combat bonus may be nice to see, but the computer usually doesn't invade unless it has so many troops that it's impossible to defend. They'll just bomb your planet to shreds and move on. The bonus may be nice for invading planets since you'll need fewer transports, but Telepathic does the job much better.

That is about the size of it. They will bomb you, if you are too strong on the ground. I have seen them make mistakes, but mostly they dust the place.

Years back I ran across this one:

"Sandy I have had a successful test of the Kzinti method. Warlord rocks! Frigates with no systems cost 20 productions move 20, and under Warlord, with no mods, have a Beam defense of 115! And with such a high move they generally have initiative over everybody. Move 20 means the defending star base gets exactly one round of fire. In my opinion, any race with Warlord can eventually use the Kzinti method, attack with lots of stripped down frigates.

I may try the Kzinti Telepathic race: Heavy-G, Warlord, Telepathic, +10 ground combat, rich home world, (-10 spying, -1 research, -50% growth)

They aren't going to get as good leaders as quickly, and you will need more than one transport to take worlds, but because they can use captured star bases immediately, you don't need to worry about Missile bases! So they should be more potent in the mid-game. Also, one dilapidated cruiser can obviate the need for building transports at all. You would need more boarding frigates, but at 20 productions a pop, that isn't a crisis.

The Kzin are based around High G, +20 ground combat, Warlord. In an average tech universe they can build a fleet, which can take out any computer's home world almost trivially in an Average Tech galaxy. All they need to do is build a few naked frigates, and board the enemy star base. As long as that race doesn't also have Heavy G, you usually only need to board with one or two frigates. As long as the universe is small enough for the Kzin to immediately run into at least one race, they can take penalties on population growth and research, relying on their future slave race to supply those.

The Kzinti method, in my opinion, relies on naked frigates in an offensive capacity. For 20 productions you get a ship of many uses. You can use it to board the enemy's star base, you can detonate it in a missile swarm, you can use it to run to the far end of the screen, buying time for your missile volleys to reach their target. Also, even unarmed frigates can kill transports. Since the computer often has their transports arrive a turn or so after their battle fleet, you can detach an unarmed frigate to kill the transports. The fleet, which defeated the computer's fleet, proceeds against the computer's colonies."

I know I tried it, but I cannot recall how things went. I tend to play a Tele about once every 3 or 4 years. I just do not find them much fun, just looking for worm holes and getting out as fast as you can.

It does work well, with a decent map, but I miss the ship battles.

Yes the Bonuses indeed stack. I tried it. But the subtereannean binus of course only for defence....I lost anyway :(

Just get a commando leader and save the racial picks for something else. If you can get Battletoids along with a commando, you are nto going to have combat problems.

Top Bottom