Does anyone play CiV realistically?

I play to watch how things pan out. So, realistically I suppose. That doesn't mean I'm not doing my best to "win" per se, but I'm not out to conquer every single Civ within arm's reach either. Like binhthuy71, I've been playing since version 1 -- actually have board game version of Civilization (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civilization_(board_game) ) that I played back in the day.

I'm just interested to see how things go in different circumstances -- the "what-if" factor. I tend to view it as a faulty simulation more than a game, but it's fun non-the-less. ;)

~S

I play to watch how things pan out. So, realistically I suppose. That doesn't mean I'm not doing my best to "win" per se, but I'm not out to conquer every single Civ within arm's reach either. Like binhthuy71, I've been playing since version 1 -- actually have board game version of Civilization (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civilization_(board_game) ) that I played back in the day.

I'm just interested to see how things go in different circumstances -- the "what-if" factor. I tend to view it as a faulty simulation more than a game, but it's fun non-the-less. ;)

~S

This.

That is what CiV does, it punishes you. Besides that, the AI is both schizophrenic and totally insane. Ironically this can almost be an entertaining feature in itself, however unintended it may be. None of the AI can be trusted and they are bound to stab you in your back, even when they clearly will gain nothing from it or when a war would clearly mean their doom.

That is what Civ 5 is like. Civ 2, for some reason it was the babylonians I've always a long alliance with, even after an early war, zulus as always wanted to kill.

Civ not so much a roleplaying game but was a game of time management with the role of sim city as a nation. Civ 4 I could make a permenent alliance with another Civ, some aspects to 4 were broke but improved with bts, Civ 5 reminds me of total war, good luck playing peaceably, everyone is the zulus. Kinda makes sense why they left them out of Civ V. I played the other Civ games as a role playing, a god of a nation fighting other gods (aka why the leader lived so long) Civ 5 is enjoyable but not what I want in a civilization game.

I played Civ 4 with the revolutions mod, unhappy huge empire, it'll break up making a new civ. That to me made a game intersting. The UN passing policies and you don't want to, go rogue. So many options.

That is what Civ 5 is like. Civ 2, for some reason it was the babylonians I've always a long alliance with, even after an early war, zulus as always wanted to kill.

Civ not so much a roleplaying game but was a game of time management with the role of sim city as a nation. Civ 4 I could make a permenent alliance with another Civ, some aspects to 4 were broke but improved with bts, Civ 5 reminds me of total war, good luck playing peaceably, everyone is the zulus. Kinda makes sense why they left them out of Civ V. I played the other Civ games as a role playing, a god of a nation fighting other gods (aka why the leader lived so long) Civ 5 is enjoyable but not what I want in a civilization game.

I played Civ 4 with the revolutions mod, unhappy huge empire, it'll break up making a new civ. That to me made a game intersting. The UN passing policies and you don't want to, go rogue. So many options.

Revolutions is an awesome mod yes. Have you also tried Realism Invictus? It not you really should, it's so well made and thorough.

I play like that... I lead my civilization like it's a real one.. I put conquest victory, but I don't really try to conquer the world, I don't focus on something, I try to balance everything.

So my first target in game is to become a super power. When I have all technologies, I start building a nice modern era army (without GDR, I take out the robot from game) and after it's ready, I put all my cities to build "wealth".

Then I go check who to invade... I even find a reason to do it ... like.. if a more powerful civ conquered another civ... I go liberate the cities. One of my "objectives" is to make a very good tactic for wars, to win without losing units, or with very low casualties. I did that since Civ 3. In Civ 3 Conquest I could conquer entire civilizations with something between 0 to 3 casualties. In Civ 4 I was losing only few units (like 3-5 max, while destroying even 100+ and conquering many cities).

Now the game became even more tactical so I play Civ 5 wars like chess. I see tips on this forum about how to win wars and they say that you should sacrifice some units to win, etc... Well "sacrifice" is not in my dictionary :p ... like I said, I try to win wars as fast as possible, conquering many cities, destroying many units, with 0 casualties if possible (on Prince difficulty... I don't bother with difficulties where AI got high bonuses).

I had some nice results in Civ 5 vanilla... like: I conquered a civ which had it's own island, 10 cities, destroyed like 110 units and I lost like 5. And btw, I don't use nukes. They even had a big navy (20-30 ships !! ... strange lol).

Now the game changed again, new units, new mechanics... I will have to adapt again. And well... I do find this fun :p ... In civ 4 I was invading countries to get my corporations to their cities (in case they were not accepting my social policies).

I play all 4x games like this... just making my own objectives and playing like it's a real world there.

Sometimes I'll build a carrier just for the hell of it. They are useless ships, but I sometimes build them because an empire of my size should have a carrier.

Carriers are very useful, in Civ 5 I build at least 5-6... and I specialize the airplanes on them: some for air intercept, some for attacking other ships, some for Air Sweep and some for bombing cities / land units :)

Revolutions is an awesome mod yes. Have you also tried Realism Invictus? It not you really should, it's so well made and thorough.

Ive been hearing good things about it, never played it, i havent played civ 4 in awhile though. Ill take a look at it again, I havent really found a place that explains what Realism Invictus does, if its like revolutions at all, ill definitly like it.

Ive been hearing good things about it, never played it, i havent played civ 4 in awhile though. Ill take a look at it again, I havent really found a place that explains what Realism Invictus does, if its like revolutions at all, ill definitly like it.

I think you should definitely try it out, though I'm not sure if the concepts of Revolutions have been incorporated; though I think I can recall reading somewhere that mod creators were thinking of doing just that.

Allow me to explain a little about Realism Invictus, since I am having so much fun playing it :)

Realism is a vast mod that tries to simulate history as closely as possible, as far as I understand. They have made a truly massive overhaul of nearly every aspect of the game. A lot of new civics and buildings and I think there are about 2000 different units(!), which is kinda crazy.

Also there is new concepts like a "Crowded penalty" to units in a SoD that get too large. IMHO this effectively solves the problems of SoD, and that without going to extremes like 1upt.

Other concepts are Great Generals being able to build many military "Doctrines" that will give a bonus to specific units build in any of your cities. Like the "fierce warriors" doctrine, that gives a "Fierce" promotion (+10% strength) to all Melee units build. However only one of each doctrine can be build in the world (basically they are like world wonders), and some get obsolete, and others only are available at later eras.

Having different kind of units in a stack will give bonuses to army composition, so for example a stack of only melee units will miss out of a lot of bonuses from archer units, recon units, siege units etc.

From what I have seen almost all terrain have also been remade to look better and perhaps more realistic. Also there is a hugely expanded tech tree where each era feels like a whole game in itself.

Also it features a massive re-playability value. Playing as Aztecs will be a very different experience than playing as the Dravidians for example. This is because each Civ have been customized to fit it's own history. I must admit that in my current game, playing as the Aztecs, I really do feel like I am Montezuma of the Aztects. I am kinda dreading the day when I shall meet the European nations ;) ( however my own personal ultimate goal is the conquest of Spain hehe)

Another very important thing is that you feel your decisions truly matter; which makes it very immersing and exiting.

And there's a lot more than just what I mentioned above(I have far from seen everything this game has to offer).

There are two drawbacks, however. On a 32-bit system the game will crash at some point. This is because the mod is so big and filled with content(the sort explanation is that 32-bit systems cannot hold enough memory, so it's actually more of an Operating system-issue, and not an issue with the mod itself). Playing on the huge world map the game will begin to crash mid-game... so basically it's best to play on a 64-bit system, where this problem will never arise (unless you have very little ram). Unless you play on quite small maps, because, then the game will only begin crashing when the game has been basically decided anyway(but its not much fun to always have to only play on small maps, and as you may have guessed my play experiences are on a 64-bit system). Another drawback is that even on systems with very good CPU and lots of ram, on later era's it may take long time for the computer civs to finish their turns; it can be from 45 seconds to several minutes, depending on your system. But it is definitely worth it. These are the only drawbacks however, everything else is just top-notch interesting. I was kinda annoyed by the fact that I only recently came across the Realism Invictus mod because it is almost everything I have always dreamed of in a Civ game :) oh and I apologize for this post becoming a little longer than I thought initially. I just love that mod ;)

Im going to be on military orders for three weeks so Ill be playing Civ 4 on my laptop, not sure if civ 5 will work right on it, (plus having multiple downloads via steam doesnt look good for steam side of things), ill download that mod and try it out. Not really looking forward to playing a civ based on the real life civs have done as Ive always not liked that in the game civ (should be based on what your doing in game) but thats just a personal hatred against uu/ua style. But if they add a lot of units that civs can play, ill try it out and live with the uu/ua's :)

Glad civ 4 complete, I dont require a cd after an install! :)

Well not much else to do hatn to try it out then :) In relation to the threads subject of playing realistically, Realism Invictus is at least a quite realistic way to play Civ ;)

I did try to play this game with optimum realism once, by actually leading my wife and 2 kids, on foot, into the Welsh hills to start our own "real" civilization. We started out with a tent, campfire and a tatty old Union Jack flag with "Richardtown" written across it in permanent marker.

Things were looking good until I voiced the suggestion that we "needed a couple of workers to cultivate the land and set up a mine, and a settler to run 180 miles to start up our next town". When my wife asked what my job would be, my response was, "Why, I am the King of this new found, glorious civilization! My job is to observe and reap the benefits of gold whilst watching our culture spread across the globe!". Needless to say, my workers went on strike before even starting, the wife packed the tent away, and we headed home, leaving me to walk into the distance and watch my civilization's flag, still stuck in the ground, gently flap in the breeze with a tear in my eye until it was out of sight.

There are no plans for a re-roll.

This. My hats off :hatsoff: to the entire Realism team for an epic mod. The immersion factor is exactly what I want in a empire building game. Oh, and if any of you Realism guys bother to read this thread, kudos to ramping up the barbs. I think I've only managed to survive a full on onslaught once :rockon:

I did try to play this game with optimum realism once, by actually leading my wife and 2 kids, on foot, into the Welsh hills to start our own "real" civilization. We started out with a tent, campfire and a tatty old Union Jack flag with "Richardtown" written across it in permanent marker.

Things were looking good until I voiced the suggestion that we "needed a couple of workers to cultivate the land and set up a mine, and a settler to run 180 miles to start up our next town". When my wife asked what my job would be, my response was, "Why, I am the King of this new found, glorious civilization! My job is to observe and reap the benefits of gold whilst watching our culture spread across the globe!". Needless to say, my workers went on strike before even starting, the wife packed the tent away, and we headed home, leaving me to walk into the distance and watch my civilization's flag, still stuck in the ground, gently flap in the breeze with a tear in my eye until it was out of sight.

LOL! :lol::goodjob:

Playing for the sake of playing is exactly what I try to do, building an army purely as a deterrent.

I rarely start wars, they are generally thrust upon me, and I respond with the aim of making the aggressor wish he hadn't gobbed off. Annihilation.

I much prefer to build an empire, discover new lands and out tech everyone. I have to admit to being bothered about scores, I think I will turn this off though.

I did try to play this game ... ... the wife packed the tent away, and we headed home, leaving me to walk into the distance and watch my civilization's flag, still stuck in the ground, gently flap in the breeze with a tear in my eye until it was out of sight.

Outstanding!! I am surprised that your wife didn't 'pack' the flag away for you...

...although that would have slowed you down... :cringe:

hell yeah man i mean civilization be just like one big hood, and each civilization got they own colorz and they be in a turf war just but they got nukes.

Top Bottom