• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Does forests spread?

Ethric

Warlord
As the title. Have anyone seen it? Can't say I have.

If yes, is the "rules" similar to Civ 4, ie. only to unimproved tiles, roads decrease chance?

Well that's (another) letdown.

Not really, when you think about the scale of a tile.

Are there really massive areas that became naturally forested during the course of human history, that weren't previously forested?

What areas do you have in mind here?

There is already "sustainable" forest growth in the sense that you can mill a forested tile forever.

Are there really massive areas that became naturally forested during the course of human history, that weren't previously forested?

What areas do you have in mind here?

Well, you have the areas deforested by the maya civilization whitch are completely overrun by forest now. And then there is the areas in southeast asia where the khmer civilization used to be. The zone of alienation around that nuclear plan in ukraine (chernobyle) is another more recent example.

If there is no human activity forest will spread over vast areas in a few centuries.

If there is no human activity forest will spread over vast areas in a few centuries.

Quite so. Of course, deserts and swamps and lots of things changes over time too. But forests spread naturally in Civ 4, quite baffling that that feature isn't kept. Well, not if you look at all the other features axed, then it seems quite fitting.

Another thing is of course that you can also plant forests in the real world.

Well, you have the areas deforested by the maya civilization whitch are completely overrun by forest now. And then there is the areas in southeast asia where the khmer civilization used to be.
Those areas already had a lot of jungle. A bit of land was cleared for agriculture, but its not like they totally defoliated massive areas. Regrowth was at a micro level, not a macro level.

A tile in Civ is like a state/province in many countries.

Those areas already had a lot of jungle. A bit of land was cleared for agriculture, but its not like they totally defoliated massive areas. Regrowth was at a micro level, not a macro level.

How about 1 unit/tile then? :)
It's a simple removal of a fun feature, it has nothing to do with realism.
But if it can be added back via modding, then I have no objection against the original civ5 concept.

edit: desert should spread too! but very slowly and you can stop it with forests. :)

Forest grows pretty fast and over large areas, even when thoroughly cleared. It can take less than a century. Really, if you leave a place alone, forest WILL regrow, and fast.

Going back to strictly gameplay considerations, I never really cared too much about forest growth. If one grew nearby, I was happy I'd get 30 free hammers, but that's about it. I hardly ever built forest preserves in Civ4, and in Civ5, it's usually best to just keep a forest tile around, build a trading post on it, and later replace with lumber mills as needed.

No, I'm saying that large-scale autonomous spread of forest has not been an important factor in the course of human history, and so its fine for it not to be represented in game.

It adds nothing, as a feature, except an incentive to not build improvements, which is annoying.

This is another thing I don't like. Forests don't spread and resources don't pop up anymore. No more random events to enrich the game. (Well ruin noobs Civ experience according to Firaxis.)

Anyway, I am sure there will be a random events mod where it will be added back in. :)

There were entire civilizations in the americas that were lost to jungles. I recall reading about similar situations in south east asia.

No, I'm saying that large-scale autonomous spread of forest has not been an important factor in the course of human history, and so its fine for it not to be represented in game.

Forests have been important in human history. Those forests have not always been where they are now, they have evolved some places and then spread to others. So large scale spread of forests have been an improtant factor in the course of human history.

Now what would be cool, would be forest spread scaled to years per turn. In the early game they spread relatively fast, then slower and slower (well, seldomer and seldomer, actually) proportional to the amount of years that pass each turn. So once you reach 1 year/turn you will rarely see any spread except through human intervention (national parks, planting, or similar).

Any mods that does this? :mischief:

There is a mod that adds this in the in game browser already. I haven't tried it, but it might be worth checking out.

Top Bottom