Does it matter what version I get? Switch or Xbox

Ruthless4u

Chieftain
Im looking to pick up the game again, but not sure if it matters what version to get between the Xbox and switch.

We are getting the switch for my oldest this Christmas and he loves Civilazation but we also have an Xbox. I plan on playing as well using which ever we end up getting( PC is not an option). The game would be for both of us.

My only issue is I'm half blind( according to my wife) so the switches portability might not work for me due to the smaller screen.

Thoughts?

I tried it on the switch and didn't like the portable experience at all. The controls were surprisingly good and it functioned well, I just didn't like how small things were nor the screen dimensions for this game, too wide and short. But maybe that's just me, obviously many people play it on switch. You might want to check the Switch subforum

I tried it on the switch and didn't like the portable experience at all. The controls were surprisingly good and it functioned well, I just didn't like how small things were nor the screen dimensions for this game, too wide and short. But maybe that's just me, obviously many people play it on switch. You might want to check the Switch subforum
I suppose I should add that in my case i was already used to playing on the pc, so it might've been the change that I didn't like. If you're not already accustomed to a PC setup you might not even know the difference and the switch might feel fine for you

Last edited by a moderator:
While I don't own a Switch, it's my understanding that you can dock it to a TV, so you would get the bigger screen like with the Xbox. But I have no info on how that experience is with Civ VI specifically. And with the Xbox version not out yet, you're unlikely to find direct comparisons between the two yet.

I have a switch with Civ 6 and the advantage is you can dock it with your TV or use it on the go and anywhere in your own house. It doesn't look as good as the PC and I expect xbox will be better as well. It is a really decent port though and I've gained an appreciation for vanilla civ6.

I think the main difference is between portability and touch controls on Switch, and crisper presentation on xbox. Both are probably fine. Rest is depending from the price.

If you don't want to play on PC (which is definitely the best version), I would wait until the xbox version releases and see a performance review. My guess is the Xbone version will perform better. However I'm not sure the price is the same.

Either way I'd recommend also getting the expansions becuase the game feels kind of empty without them

I play multiplayer on PC and single-player on Switch to keep me sharp. I find Standard Rule set on either one a perfectly enjoyable experience.

I play multiplayer on PC and single-player on Switch to keep me sharp. I find Standard Rule set on either one a perfectly enjoyable experience.

I'll use the occasion to ask you a Switch related question: maybe you know how to bring up the tooltip for the top screen infobar, for gold, for example, which allows you to see quickly from the main screen the breakdown of your income and expenses, including when your gpt deals end, but to do this using controller commands only? I can manage that using my finger on the touchscreen, but I can't find a way to bring it up with the controller. There's no virtual cursor, so when docked, this piece of information is taken away from you and you're left with only those depressing reports tabs.

I'll use the occasion to ask you a Switch related question: maybe you know how to bring up the tooltip for the top screen infobar, for gold, for example, which allows you to see quickly from the main screen the breakdown of your income and expenses, including when your gpt deals end, but to do this using controller commands only? I can manage that using my finger on the touchscreen, but I can't find a way to bring it up with the controller. There's no virtual cursor, so when docked, this piece of information is taken away from you and you're left with only those depressing reports tabs.
I know that the "-" button cycles through tooltips on the Switch, if you can focus on the top bar maybe it will bring something up. Maybe pressing L button first.

I know that the "-" button cycles through tooltips on the Switch, if you can focus on the top bar maybe it will bring something up. Maybe pressing L button first.
Yes, the "-" switches on the tooltips, but I've found no way, except using the touchscreen, to "jump" to the top infobar. After pressing L or R first you just get the tooltips for what's in those sidebars.

While I don't play Civ too much right now (I need the xpacs to make the experience, soon remedied) I LOVE the Switch version, screen can be a bit small for a full game, but docking to the TV fixes that issue and if I am settled in for a 'serious' game I will just fire it up on the lapper or PC. However, it is the portability that makes it for me, as I have a Tesla there is nothing like being able to get some turns in while I charge. The Switch in general is absolutely amazing for me as I can have access to legitimate games in a portable medium.

Switch turn waiting times are actually really short. Shorter that in any civ game for me before (starting from civ 1 from SNES and all the PC ones not counting 6). I dont know how that can be. Does 6 take much time on PC?

I really enjoy the switch version. I actually find the slightly slower controls make me think a bit more deeply about my actions and it feels more relaxingly paced. The touchscreen is also surprisingly useful.

The AI feels surprisingly dumber on the switch though. Has anyone else experienced this? Possibly because it is just the vanilla version and the AI improvements haven't been implemented?

Switch turn waiting times are actually really short. Shorter that in any civ game for me before (starting from civ 1 from SNES and all the PC ones not counting 6). I dont know how that can be. Does 6 take much time on PC?
Isn't there some limit on map size on the switch?

Isn't there some limit on map size on the switch?

I dont think so? I am not sure as I am not familiar with PC version.

Switch is portability and that means freedom. A LOT of freedom. And that is the coolest thing. Possibility to recline comfortably on your couch comes a very distant second (at least, if you have a PC version). Xbox/PS4 will probably look much better on a TV screen.

There’s also the issue of using the (godawful terrible) interface with a controller. They made their best to adapt it to the controller, no doubt, the problem is that the interface is rather difficult to use and quite obscure to operate it with the keyboard and mouse, with a controller it becomes quite a chore, managing the trade deals in particular.

As for map size, yes, it offers tiny by default, but you can pick “huge” as well. If you dare. And if your doctor is optimistic enough about your life expectancy.

Switch is portability and that means freedom. A LOT of freedom. And that is the coolest thing. Possibility to recline comfortably on your couch comes a very distant second (at least, if you have a PC version). Xbox/PS4 will probably look much better on a TV screen.

There’s also the issue of using the (godawful terrible) interface with a controller. They made their best to adapt it to the controller, no doubt, the problem is that the interface is rather difficult to use and quite obscure to operate it with the keyboard and mouse, with a controller it becomes quite a chore, managing the trade deals in particular.

As for map size, yes, it offers tiny by default, but you can pick “huge” as well. If you dare. And if your doctor is optimistic enough about your life expectancy.
Yes I would agree with trade deal issues. I would have to type in a series of 1s behind gold amounts so that it would default to all of the gold the AI had instead of clicking the increase arrow over and over.

Top Bottom