Domination at warlord difficulty, 3 civs simultaneously declare war on me

Chieftain
I conquered 5 cities of which 2 capitals. 2 civs declared war while I was getting the 2nd capital and the other a few turns later when I got the capital. How am I supposed to win a domination game when everyone gangs up on me (turn 120 quick speed)

I conquered 5 cities of which 2 capitals. 2 civs declared war while I was getting the 2nd capital and the other a few turns later when I got the capital. How am I supposed to win a domination game when everyone gangs up on me (turn 120 quick speed)

What do you expect. All of them to pat you on your back.

Make sure you keep units on the border cities, and try to keep good relations with civs you're not at war with.
If you're far ahead, does it matter if everyone is at war?

Everyone might declare war on you, but that's only more units for you to kill and cities to conquer.

If you conquer enough cities, the world will declare war on you and sanction you.

That makes perfect sense, does it not? You would do the same, would you not?

If they gang up on you and you find yourself spread too thin, you need to fight defensively (you might have to concede some indefensible cities in the worst case), until they start peacing out. Then you can reallocate your resources and push on the offensive again against the remaining enemy(ies) - the ones who peaced out cannot attack you for 10 turns. But after you take more cities the world will hate you even more and they will try to put an end to your killing spree.

If you befriend some AI, join their war against their enemy and if you denounce their rivals, this AI will likely overlook your crimes against humanity for a while.

That makes perfect sense, does it not? You would do the same, would you not?

If they gang up on you and you find yourself spread too thin, you need to fight defensively (you might have to concede some indefensible cities in the worst case), until they start peacing out. Then you can reallocate your resources and push on the offensive again against the remaining enemy(ies) - the ones who peaced out cannot attack you for 10 turns. But after you take more cities the world will hate you even more and they will try to put an end to your killing spree.

If you befriend some AI, join their war against their enemy and if you denounce their rivals, this AI will likely overlook your crimes against humanity for a while.

I think the thread opener was surprised they probably do this at a low level like Warlord. I am not a great player & play at lower levels, usually Prince, & can concur the AI will attack you if you start taking lots of land quickly & seem a threat to the world. The mod is good at this, & acts the same whatever the level, with the only real difference far more force & danger the higher the level you play.

I expected the ai to dow me when they see a good occasion but I don't know how to deal with it, I can leave only so many units to defend the borders while I'm conquering other cities

And I'm forced to war early because the ai with its bonuses is a ticking time bomb that eventually will outscale me

I expected the ai to dow me when they see a good occasion but I don't know how to deal with it, I can leave only so many units to defend the borders while I'm conquering other cities

And I'm forced to war early because the ai with its bonuses is a ticking time bomb that eventually will outscale me

The AI doesn't really out-scale until the late eras (think Modern+), and it's mostly meant as a way to catch up to the player if they're playing well.
In general, the AI still sometimes lacks the proper strategic mind to effectively siege a city (for example it will occasionally rush in with ranged units with no way to capture the assaulting city), and border cities (especially coastal ones) do not require too many units to defend properly, especially if your military is better trained/advanced.

The mod really challenges you to make a decisive strategy to start with, but you need to adapt to the situation since the AI won't just keel over and let you hog everything freely.

Good to hear my new code is working well! :)

Code:
       if (bTheyAreCloseToWorldConquest)
       {
           viApproachWeights[MAJOR_CIV_APPROACH_WAR] += (viApproachWeightsPersonality[MAJOR_CIV_APPROACH_WAR] * 4);
           viApproachWeights[MAJOR_CIV_APPROACH_HOSTILE] += (viApproachWeightsPersonality[MAJOR_CIV_APPROACH_HOSTILE] * 4);
           viApproachWeights[MAJOR_CIV_APPROACH_GUARDED] += (viApproachWeightsPersonality[MAJOR_CIV_APPROACH_GUARDED] * 4);
       }

// Are they conquering the world? We could be next!
       int iDangerScore = max(iNumTheirCaps, iNumTheirVassals) + GetOtherPlayerNumMajorsConquered(ePlayer);
       if (iDangerScore > 0 && GetPlayer()->GetProximityToPlayer(ePlayer) >= PLAYER_PROXIMITY_CLOSE)
       {
           // Be extremely wary of early game conquerors
           if (iGameEra == 0)
           {
               viApproachWeights[MAJOR_CIV_APPROACH_WAR] += (viApproachWeightsPersonality[MAJOR_CIV_APPROACH_WAR] * 3 * iDangerScore);
               viApproachWeights[MAJOR_CIV_APPROACH_GUARDED] += (viApproachWeightsPersonality[MAJOR_CIV_APPROACH_GUARDED] * 3 * iDangerScore);

if (bEasyTarget)
               {
                   viApproachWeights[MAJOR_CIV_APPROACH_WAR] += (viApproachWeightsPersonality[MAJOR_CIV_APPROACH_WAR] * 5);
                   viApproachWeights[MAJOR_CIV_APPROACH_HOSTILE] += (viApproachWeightsPersonality[MAJOR_CIV_APPROACH_HOSTILE] * 5);

// Easy target and we have war bonuses? Attack!
                   if (bCloseToWorldConquest || bConquerorTraits)
                   {
                       viApproachWeights[MAJOR_CIV_APPROACH_WAR] += (viApproachWeightsPersonality[MAJOR_CIV_APPROACH_WAR] * 5);
                       viApproachWeights[MAJOR_CIV_APPROACH_HOSTILE] += (viApproachWeightsPersonality[MAJOR_CIV_APPROACH_HOSTILE] * 5);
                   }            
               }
           }
           else if (iGameEra == 1)
           {
               viApproachWeights[MAJOR_CIV_APPROACH_WAR] += (viApproachWeightsPersonality[MAJOR_CIV_APPROACH_WAR] * 2 * iDangerScore);
               viApproachWeights[MAJOR_CIV_APPROACH_GUARDED] += (viApproachWeightsPersonality[MAJOR_CIV_APPROACH_GUARDED] * 2 * iDangerScore);

if (bEasyTarget)
               {
                   viApproachWeights[MAJOR_CIV_APPROACH_WAR] += (viApproachWeightsPersonality[MAJOR_CIV_APPROACH_WAR] * 3);
                   viApproachWeights[MAJOR_CIV_APPROACH_HOSTILE] += (viApproachWeightsPersonality[MAJOR_CIV_APPROACH_HOSTILE] * 3);

if (bCloseToWorldConquest || bConquerorTraits)
                   {
                       viApproachWeights[MAJOR_CIV_APPROACH_WAR] += (viApproachWeightsPersonality[MAJOR_CIV_APPROACH_WAR] * 3);
                       viApproachWeights[MAJOR_CIV_APPROACH_HOSTILE] += (viApproachWeightsPersonality[MAJOR_CIV_APPROACH_HOSTILE] * 3);
                   }
               }
           }
           else if (iGameEra == 2)
           {
               viApproachWeights[MAJOR_CIV_APPROACH_WAR] += (viApproachWeightsPersonality[MAJOR_CIV_APPROACH_WAR] * iDangerScore);
               viApproachWeights[MAJOR_CIV_APPROACH_GUARDED] += (viApproachWeightsPersonality[MAJOR_CIV_APPROACH_GUARDED] * iDangerScore);

if (bEasyTarget)
               {
                   viApproachWeights[MAJOR_CIV_APPROACH_WAR] += (viApproachWeightsPersonality[MAJOR_CIV_APPROACH_WAR] * 2);
                   viApproachWeights[MAJOR_CIV_APPROACH_HOSTILE] += (viApproachWeightsPersonality[MAJOR_CIV_APPROACH_HOSTILE] * 2);

if (bConqueror || bGoingForWorldConquest || bCloseToWorldConquest || bConquerorTraits)
                   {
                       viApproachWeights[MAJOR_CIV_APPROACH_WAR] += (viApproachWeightsPersonality[MAJOR_CIV_APPROACH_WAR] * 2);
                       viApproachWeights[MAJOR_CIV_APPROACH_HOSTILE] += (viApproachWeightsPersonality[MAJOR_CIV_APPROACH_HOSTILE] * 2);
                   }
               }
           }
           else
           {
               viApproachWeights[MAJOR_CIV_APPROACH_WAR] += (viApproachWeightsPersonality[MAJOR_CIV_APPROACH_WAR] + (iDangerScore * 2));
               viApproachWeights[MAJOR_CIV_APPROACH_GUARDED] += (viApproachWeightsPersonality[MAJOR_CIV_APPROACH_GUARDED] + (iDangerScore * 2));
               viApproachWeights[MAJOR_CIV_APPROACH_HOSTILE] += (viApproachWeightsPersonality[MAJOR_CIV_APPROACH_HOSTILE] + (iDangerScore * 2));

if (bEasyTarget)
               {
                   viApproachWeights[MAJOR_CIV_APPROACH_WAR] += viApproachWeightsPersonality[MAJOR_CIV_APPROACH_WAR];
                   viApproachWeights[MAJOR_CIV_APPROACH_HOSTILE] += viApproachWeightsPersonality[MAJOR_CIV_APPROACH_HOSTILE];

if (bConqueror || bGoingForWorldConquest || bCloseToWorldConquest || bConquerorTraits)
                   {
                       viApproachWeights[MAJOR_CIV_APPROACH_WAR] += viApproachWeightsPersonality[MAJOR_CIV_APPROACH_WAR];
                       viApproachWeights[MAJOR_CIV_APPROACH_HOSTILE] += viApproachWeightsPersonality[MAJOR_CIV_APPROACH_HOSTILE];
                   }
               }
           }
       }

My advice is not to conquer more than you can defend. If you overextend your military conquests you'll go down like the Roman Empire did.

Note also that AIs who notice a conquering spree (particularly an earlygame one) are programmed to band together (i.e. DoF, DPs, etc.) more often.

I think the thread opener was surprised they probably do this at a low level like Warlord. I am not a great player & play at lower levels, usually Prince, & can concur the AI will attack you if you start taking lots of land quickly & seem a threat to the world. The mod is good at this, & acts the same whatever the level, with the only real difference far more force & danger the higher the level you play.

Mostly true, although the AI is a bit more likely to DoW at higher difficulties if their opinion of you is negative, and a lot more likely to attack in the lategame if you're getting close to winning.

Last edited:
Top Bottom