• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Domination Victory through Vassalage?

Raif2

Chieftain
One thing I liked from before Civ V was domination through controlling a high % of the land in the game. It flowed a bit more naturally to me than the tedium of getting each capital. I love the vassal system, and was wondering if the two things could be integrated, by making it so for each civ you have to either own their capital or have the civ be your vassal.

When he returned, I think that Putmalk said that he'd implement that eventually, though I'm not sure if he's changed his stance or not.

What's the situation with this in 2020? I autoplayed a game of VP and was impressed at how well the AI was doing at a domination only game and how stable the ultra late game was (so long as you turn on the "max turns" option). Problem is the AI had conquered all other capitals except for its own vassals and the domination win hadn't triggered. Shouldn't the AI be turning on its own vassals to finish the game? Or should vassals be included in the domination win to make this condition competitive in time with other VC's?

What's the situation with this in 2020? I autoplayed a game of VP and was impressed at how well the AI was doing at a domination only game and how stable the ultra late game was (so long as you turn on the "max turns" option). Problem is the AI had conquered all other capitals except for its own vassals and the domination win hadn't triggered. Shouldn't the AI be turning on its own vassals to finish the game? Or should vassals be included in the domination win to make this condition competitive in time with other VC's?

They're supposed to.

Code:
       // We like our own vassals (unless they're blocking our path to victory)
       else if (bIsMaster)
       {
           // If they control other players' original capitals or are close to victory, don't erase weight for hostility
           if (!IsMajorCompetitor(ePlayer) && iNumTheirCaps <= 0)
           {
               // We must control all capitals to win a Domination Victory
               if (bGoingForWorldConquest || bCloseToWorldConquest)
               {
                   if (GET_PLAYER(ePlayer).GetCapitalConqueror() != NO_PLAYER)
                   {
                       viApproachWeights[MAJOR_CIV_APPROACH_WAR] = 0;
                       viApproachWeights[MAJOR_CIV_APPROACH_HOSTILE] = 0;
                       viApproachWeights[MAJOR_CIV_APPROACH_GUARDED] = 0;
                       viApproachWeights[MAJOR_CIV_APPROACH_DECEPTIVE] = 0;
                       viScratchValueOverrides[MAJOR_CIV_APPROACH_WAR] = 0;
                       viScratchValueOverrides[MAJOR_CIV_APPROACH_HOSTILE] = 0;
                       viScratchValueOverrides[MAJOR_CIV_APPROACH_GUARDED] = 0;
                       viScratchValueOverrides[MAJOR_CIV_APPROACH_DECEPTIVE] = 0;
                   }
               }
               else
               {
                   viApproachWeights[MAJOR_CIV_APPROACH_WAR] = 0;
                   viApproachWeights[MAJOR_CIV_APPROACH_HOSTILE] = 0;
                   viApproachWeights[MAJOR_CIV_APPROACH_GUARDED] = 0;
                   viApproachWeights[MAJOR_CIV_APPROACH_DECEPTIVE] = 0;
                   viScratchValueOverrides[MAJOR_CIV_APPROACH_WAR] = 0;
                   viScratchValueOverrides[MAJOR_CIV_APPROACH_HOSTILE] = 0;
                   viScratchValueOverrides[MAJOR_CIV_APPROACH_GUARDED] = 0;
                   viScratchValueOverrides[MAJOR_CIV_APPROACH_DECEPTIVE] = 0;
               }
           }
       }

Could be that their vassals still have their original capitals, the conquering AI is not actually pursuing world conquest, and without the vassalized capitals the conquering AI has less than 75% of other players' original capitals, thus not triggering the "close to domination victory" flag.

Strange that they wouldn't be pursuing world conquest in a Domination only game, though. Did you disable Domination Victory so players would have to kill each other off completely, not just conquer the capitals...?

OR it could be that one of the checks preventing the AI from DoW'ing vassals is malfunctioning (or working too well, I guess).

Last edited:
I did a default install of the latest VP 14-7-2, used really advanced setup to select domination only and set MAXTURNS = 999. Without maxturns set VP CTD and autosaves won't load shortly after game time reaches 2050.

Top Bottom