Domination Victory

scorth

Chieftain
So in my current game I'm trying to eek out a domination victory (mostly because space is going to take a long time and I'm getting tired of the game). Another civ is close to a Cultural victory (although I'll just raze a city or two to slow her down).

My question is: If I'm at 41-42% Population and 29-30% Land Mass and the Victory conditions are 46% Population and 35ish% Land Mass. Would I be better off capturing cities or razing them? Do I have to acheive both Pop and LM to win the domination? Or is it one or the other?

'Cause if I raze'em, I should get closer to the 46% easiest, especially if I'm razing big cities (which they are!). The main reason that I'm thinking raze over capture is that I don't have sufficient forces to sustain massive Cannon/Cav/Inf counter-attacks. Essentially, I'm using overwhelming naval/air support and about 25 Tanks/MobileArty/Marines/Inf to take the cities one by one or a couple in different places at a time. I would rather stay mobile and pick my cities one at a time, hence the razing. If I had more time...or interest, I'd heavily build up and take the cities one at a time in order. But I'm here now and I'm looking forward to my first win at a new, higher difficulty (Prince, be nice, I only get a couple of hours a week to play -- wifes not a fan)...

Ideas Guys?

By the way, this forum has essentially raised my game from struggling on Noble to this win on Prince...Thanks!! (it's Noble then Prince, right?! I'm not at my computer)

Do I have to acheive both Pop and LM to win the domination? Or is it one or the other?

By the way, this forum has essentially raised my game from struggling on Noble to this win on Prince...Thanks!! (it's Noble then Prince, right?! I'm not at my computer)

you need both. eiffel tower is your friend, the extra culture lets you get border pops quickly in cities you capture, so you'll get more land mass. it spares you having to make all those pesky individual broadcast towers, and you can run 2 artists in all cities right away. so go capture it if you can. also sistine chapel gets you real quick border pops. i love when they make sistine for me ... seems to always be louis or nappy.

when i get quite close to the limit, it's often quicker to just raze their cities and settle a new one with a combat settler i bring as part of my SoD. that way i don't have to wait for the city to come out of revolt. especially since in BtS a great artist can't get the city out of revolt instantly (until the patch comes out). big cities can take a long long time to quit whining, so you're spared that, but you don't have the pop to whip away, so that's situational, but when i'm close it sure helps me.

really quick way is to find a great artist or 2 somewhere. raze cities so that you'll face as little border pressure as possible, place build a new one of your own, maybe two. then great work it ... lots of tiles with one click of a button!

noble/prince i dunno, i always forget. yes, noble -> prince -> monarch, i looked it up. and pshaw on the warning to be nice, as if i wouldn't be! trying a victory type you've never tried before, at a higher difficulty level than you're used to? you're brave *giggle* and it sounds like the game is going great. there are different levels for a reason... so that we can all learn our own way, and so that it doesn't get boring, we have more challenges to look forward to.

good luck and have fun :)

oh, one last (i think) edit. population usually isn't the hard part, but if it is, sometimes you can increase your percentage by decreasing theirs. any friends that you're trading health resources to, cut 'em off :mischief:

I see this advice of razing cities...every time I raze a city I typically get 3-5 of the best units available, to the enemy of the city I just razed, popping up around my battle fatigued troops. I find this a real hindrants to my combat push. Any way around this?

you need both. eiffel tower is your friend, the extra culture lets you get border pops quickly in cities you capture, so you'll get more land mass. it spares you having to make all those pesky individual broadcast towers, and you can run 2 artists in all cities right away. so go capture it if you can. also sistine chapel gets you real quick border pops. i love when they make sistine for me ... seems to always be louis or nappy.

when i get quite close to the limit, it's often quicker to just raze their cities and settle a new one with a combat settler i bring as part of my SoD. that way i don't have to wait for the city to come out of revolt. especially since in BtS a great artist can't get the city out of revolt instantly (until the patch comes out). big cities can take a long long time to quit whining, so you're spared that, but you don't have the pop to whip away, so that's situational, but when i'm close it sure helps me.

really quick way is to find a great artist or 2 somewhere. raze cities so that you'll face as little border pressure as possible, place build a new one of your own, maybe two. then great work it ... lots of tiles with one click of a button!

noble/prince i dunno, i always forget. yes, noble -> prince -> monarch, i looked it up. and pshaw on the warning to be nice, as if i wouldn't be! trying a victory type you've never tried before, at a higher difficulty level than you're used to? you're brave *giggle* and it sounds like the game is going great. there are different levels for a reason... so that we can all learn our own way, and so that it doesn't get boring, we have more challenges to look forward to.

good luck and have fun :)

oh, one last (i think) edit. population usually isn't the hard part, but if it is, sometimes you can increase your percentage by decreasing theirs. any friends that you're trading health resources to, cut 'em off :mischief:

Good points, thanks. I guess maybe I could just take out the Cultural Civ and then wait on the Space Race... All of that conquest is going to take time that I'm not sure I'm willing to spend. I just figured that I could finish it up in 10-20 turns... :rolleyes: But I see now that I've gotta spend the time to *earn* the win....sigh... I guess that I'll have to find some more time to finish the fight.

Good points, thanks. I guess maybe I could just take out the Cultural Civ and then wait on the Space Race... All of that conquest is going to take time that I'm not sure I'm willing to spend. I just figured that I could finish it up in 10-20 turns... :rolleyes: But I see now that I've gotta spend the time to *earn* the win....sigh... I guess that I'll have to find some more time to finish the fight.

well it depends on the map. but if you can raze enough cities in an area where culture pops they get will be their own, not battling with old cities, you can often get quick pops running free speech / merc for an artist / caste if you don't have eiffel to give you a spot for an artist. maybe add in free religion if you have several religions in border cities where getting culture for each religion might help more than just for your state religion, and send missionaries as part of your SoD. the FR part does not apply if you have sistine chapel, since it only works on your SR buildings. and sometimes that's not a good idea because you need the buddies you have that are based on religion or whatever.

I see this advice of razing cities...every time I raze a city I typically get 3-5 of the best units available, to the enemy of the city I just razed, popping up around my battle fatigued troops. I find this a real hindrants to my combat push. Any way around this?

i play with random events on but have only ever had that once /knockwood. i tried to find it on the list of random events, to see if it ever goes obsolete. my wars tend to be real late, i was guessing maybe that's why i haven't had that happen. but i can't find it on the list at all :confused:. i found this one:

Event139
Partisans
Prereq: Emancipation civic AND one of your cities was razed
Obsolete: None
Active/Weight: 55/0
Result:
1.a number of drafted units (equal to city's culture level -1) spawn at the city site
2.half that number of drafted units spawn in the capital

but i know charlie wasn't in emancipation when i razed that city. he had just finished research ironworking! hmmz.

I have another domination victory question.
I have just won my first prince game,on a duel pangea map.I controlled 6 cities most of them very far from each other,but why i havent got a domination victory?Everytime should i raze enemys last city to win the game?(it is conquest i know:))

you probably don't have either the population or the landmass. you need both ;). i'm about to win my first domination on emperor (lost my FIRST almost win to freaking apostlotic palace vote :cry:) and i have to say it has been the most boring past 2-3 hours of my life. thank god for charismatic, and a city that could pump me out level 5 troops each round. level 3CR/2 artillery are insane

In my current game, i have a colony and 2 vassals covering the entire new world (an entire continent, about equal size of the old world). The two vassals i have also have their main cities in the old world.

This should make up around 50-60% of total landmass, but it only shows around 35%. Dont colonies & vassals count toward your domination victory after all? I've always been informed that it did :confused:

Vassals (including colonies) only count for 50% of their landmass to your total.

Top Bottom