DRM and always on for a bright Gaming future - EA busted simcity release

So do you have taxes by default with no town hall?

So do you have taxes by default with no town hall?

9% is the default. If you look at the picture, low income is set at 0% and the rest is set to 20%.

@woody60707

I'm not sure your difficulty repeating this process.
I easily built to 600K doing this (boring!!!).
Taxes are easy, it is only required that one city in the region have an upgraded city hall.

woody60707 said:
9% is the default. If you look at the picture, low income is set at 0% and the rest is set to 20%.

Ok, cool. Didn't know. Thanks.

@woody60707

I'm not sure your difficulty repeating this process.
I easily built to 600K doing this (boring!!!).
Taxes are easy, it is only required that one city in the region have an upgraded city hall.

That I didn't try. In any case we are getting off base with this. We all agree that there are a lot of bugs that are breaking SimCity. Like in one of my cities I am getting a million visitors in a city that only has a 100k pop which is killing traffic.

So well I remain unconvinced on this one bug, i'll concede on this bug.

Attachments

• ok, what the hell!.jpg
    ok, what the hell!.jpg
    246.9 KB · Views: 78
That I didn't try. In any case we are getting off base with this. We all agree that there are a lot of bugs that are breaking SimCity. Like in one of my cities I am getting a million visitors in a city that only has a 100k pop which is killing traffic.

So well I remain unconvinced on this one bug, i'll concede on this bug.

Is your city Moscow.;)

Spoiler :

Vistors for May Day and October Revolution celebrations.

I didn't mean to suggest what you do is a bad idea or silly. That's absolutely fine. I just think complaining about $50 for a game as being overpriced is ludicrous given that they've been priced that for well over two decades.

It's the quality of the game that makes me complain about the price. For example, I had absolutely no problem paying $60 for Mass Effect 3 because the quality of the game was higher than most titles that are released. I will not, however, pay $60 for a Call of Duty game that has essentially retained the same watered-down generic shooter gameplay for over a decade. To me, a Call of Duty game is worth about $20-$30.

I hope EA will take a huge hit from releasing Simcity the way they did.

1. the servers were not ready upon release, though lots of orders were preorders giving an estimate of the actual player base. Blizzard is known for their D3 release debacle, but they fixed it within a week. Up to this date there are still people loosing their cities (!) - not their progress, but an entire city in the cloud.
  2. Simcity turns out to be an advertising plattform. A Car company was the first to offer a "free" download - I think gamebreaking, as the amount of happiness it offers it puts other people at an disadvante. For those who missed it: Simcity is an MMO (not joking, that is an official statement)
  3. the game is buggy to no end. Part of that thanks to a Beta that seems to have been done to advertise the game and gain preorders, but to hunt down bugs. http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/SimCity_(2013)/Bugs
  4. You cannot trust the numbers the game decides to share with you. E.g. a 20k city with 180k visitors, such a number would sure cripple any city. A total amount of 20k jobs, 12k local workers and 15k workers from abroad / 12k+15k > 20k ...

While a bit reminds me of stories of the Civ V release, I do not think it could have been that bad, at least one could play locally without the whim of some server.

If you had had the plan to buy the game, it would be wise to wait at least 6 more months, money wise - it is not worth 60 and game play wise, they need more time to finish the game. Unless you want to join a paid beta.

Civ5 at least turned into a worth-owning game with the addition of Gods and Kings.

Was it actually an upgrade to Civ4? Let's not go there. It is completely worth playing once you have G&K though.

Not only that, it states that the PS4 and the Xbox 720 are very likely to have forced always-online connections.

Much as I begrudge some of the other policies those consoles may be pursuing I don't think this is factually correct.

Top Bottom