DS ONLY discussion

Errol!

Chieftain
Allo all,

I rarely read manuals, but when playing a game, sometimes I'll notice something I have no clue about and just keep on playing until my curiosity compels me to actually look at the manual.

But in this case, I have no manual that tells me anything useful other than if I was an epileptic I may induce it by playing DS games.

And I would read online stuff, but there is no "DS only" section. So I wade through "differences" threads, but It would be handy to have a DS only section. :)

So, have you found out anything interesting? Any tips?

Here's what I found out:

• Can't delete units. Bummer.
  • Militia info - when I first played this game, I didn't know what the thing was. It came with a ship, but couldn't attack. It also can't form into an army nor does it upgrade to anything. But it has the scout ability which is cool.
  • I always thought the icons at the top of the leader choice were decoration. Now I realize that when you win a particular victory type (be it science, cultural, domination or economic) it becomes highlighted. So I have a new goal: highlight all of them with each leader in Deity! (Finished off the easier ones, like Arab and Montezuma) Hopefully something cool will happen, but I'm not holding my breath. :D

Here are some questions too:
  • I WOULD like a visual icon list for each unity ability. I still forget which icon is which for Loyalty/Guerilla/Leadership, but the other ones I'm sure on.
  • You can erase your stats in the settings. The only 'stat' keeping I know of is wins for for each leader. Is that the only stats there are or has someone found other stats?
  • What's the point of GOTW? It seems to be no different from a random map, unless there are victory conditions I don't know about and need to manually look at...
  • Any way to check number of wins for a unit? It briefly flashes after a win, but that's it. Why do I want to know? I try to do all my initial battles with one unit so that it can get to infiltration faster, but woe to me if I accidentally put a second similar unit on top of it and I forget which is which. :D

Now if there IS a list out there and I just missed it, please redirect me.

Thanks! :D

I haven't seen an icon list for the unit upgrades, that'd be a nice item to have. I bet the strategy guide book has a list.

Wins for each leader is the only stat I'm aware of also.

Game of the Week isn't really a competitive thing like it is on Xbox and PS3, but the DS version does get the same map and has the bonus of selecting the civilization at the start. I remember reading about a forum or web site somewhere where people share their GOTW high scores, but I don't recall the site.

There's no way I'm aware of to check stats for an individual unit. You just have to avoid stacking the guys you're trying to level up!

The Hall of Fame doesn't save, which irritates me, because yesterday I won a game with a score of 40,000+ (I went for World Bank, by then I could build both WB AND UN, and I ended up with thousands of Tank Armies and a Domination Victory).

You can't disband which is the biggest problem, and you can't focus production on wealth like you can in Civ3 (not sure about 4). Also, there's no Science/Luxury slider, so at the beginning of the game you can only generate Science or Gold, but not a little of both. I would've loved an Advisor screen that tells you how much GPT and practically everything else.

There's much more, but the game's still pretty fun. I once one a game at 1200AD using the Zulu. Didn't even discover Feudalism yet, my army consisted of Horsemen, Catapults, Legion, and One Warrior army from the beginning of the game.

On the 2k forum, it was mentioned that a downloadable instruction manual was in the process of being created for the DS. Not sure if the PS3 MP mess has caused work to be stopped on the manual or not. I will let you know when it is available to download.

The unit rally fuction is also missing off the DS version. It would be handy, although I would prefer to have the Civ3/4 Unit Sentry option and the ability to move Stacks and not have to move each army seperately.

Rather than having the ability to sell units for gold, I would rather the option to pay to upgrade units , once the era and tech research had been achieved. As it is now I'm building Tanks and Battleships, while my cities are defended with riflemen and knights.

I got this version of Revolution a coule of days ago, and I enjoy it. An excellent entertainment for long and boresome travels. It feels good to capture a city on the way to work. xD

I'm just bumping this thread to ask if anyone has heard anymore about decent manuals or strategy guides. Is there a Primo/Brady Games released? Is it any good? Any recommendations for good web-based guides or FAQs. The one on CivFanatics is pretty good, but I would like some more detail--particularly DS information. Anyone know how to tell what units are based in a city from the City Management screen?

I'm just bumping this thread to ask if anyone has heard anymore about decent manuals or strategy guides. Is there a Primo/Brady Games released? Is it any good? Any recommendations for good web-based guides or FAQs. The one on CivFanatics is pretty good, but I would like some more detail--particularly DS information. Anyone know how to tell what units are based in a city from the City Management screen?

The manual is still coming. However there are 2 PDF files on the Civ Rev home page that are worth downloading. http://civilizationrevolution.com/

The Brady Guide for Civ Rev has two pages on what icons look like on the DS. That's about it. They don't talk about any of the differences.

BTW.... has anyone figured out yet how to see what units you have in a city without having to move them?

Also, is there anyway to "see" the entire world map?

How come there isn't any mushroom clouds on DS version when you're nukeing your enemy? That's one huge dissapoinment for me :(

Don't get me wrong. I like to play CivRev ;)

Savoir10- You're over there too? I raised a question about that.

Yes. Do you get the impression that 2K have completely forgotten about the DS version. Guess we don't complain enough. ;)

Possibly, the same could've been said about Pirates! and Railroads!. I hope CivRev doesn't take after them. It convinced me to buy a DS!

Try these.
http://www.civilizationrevolution.com/community/pdfs/TechTree.pdf

http://www.civilizationrevolution.com/community/pdfs/TechTreeDetails.pdf

There is still no sign of the manual. A question has been raised on the 2k Forum. Will let you know if there are any new developements.

Is there a printer friendly version of these files. Print is way too small on standard 8.5 x 11. Can't get it to print on multiple pages because it is an oversized gif in a PDF file.

Is there a printer friendly version of these files. Print is way too small on standard 8.5 x 11. Can't get it to print on multiple pages because it is an oversized gif in a PDF file.

Sorry they are the only ones I know of.

What I really don't understand is upgrading. Not sure if this is DS only or not, but it seems I can get any number of offensive victories and only get a single upgrade no matter how many wins. However if I get a defensive win and I can have a unit with 5 different upgrades.

Not sure if this is by design, a bug, or something else, but it seems very odd.

I've never had that problem. No matter what type of victory I get, it still counts towards the next upgrade.

Hi everybody, recently I bought Civ Rev for NDS, I tried it and considering the features of the DS and the nature of the game, I'm fully satisfied...but some issues are disturbing. How is it possible to build railways when the required advances are discovered and when one gets the iron (and coal?), then when units are obviously obsolete and can't be updated how is it possible to get rid of 'em, finally I met problemes building the space ship. I bought the Brady's strategy book but apparently they don't give any infos about these topics I mean on the DS. I'd like to read about this and more on this forum;
Shinoui
http://forums.civfanatics.com/images/icons/icon5.gif
http://forums.civfanatics.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

Top Bottom