1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Dynamic Diplomacy 1.5

Aims to make diplomacy more interesting and rewarding

1. Sun Ce of Wu

Sun Ce of Wu Chieftain

I pretty much like all of these bonuses, since they are nice and really fitting the leader and/or the civ. I'd like to suggest some the missing ones.

Saladin
    Friends - +2 Faith from campuses
    Allies - +1 Science from religious buildings

Pedro
    Friends - +1 great musicians point from theatre districts and/or entertainment districts
    Allies - +1 amenity for each city or +4 amenities from palace

Victoria
    Friends - +1 gold +1 production from harbors
    Allies - Relics grant + 1 gold each

Pericles
    Friends - +2 science from theatre districs
    Allies - +1 culture from all buildings or districts in capital

Gorgo

Friends - +2 culture from encampments
    Allies - Can train Oplites or +1 military policy slot the first time you sign an Alliance (kept permantly)

ChocolateShake likes this.
  2. View619

View619 Chieftain

I would suggest the following for alliance bonuses:

1. They should not provide additional military units, or new modded units.
    2. They should not provide policy slots.

In fact, I would suggest that alliance bonuses be removed and the friends bonus be used instead. Once you've befriended a civilization and have alliances unlocked, they are guaranteed to accept the trade deal for it. So, you're guaranteed both tiers of bonuses whenever you befriend another civilization, including the base game benefits (defensive pacts, research agreements, better trade deals, huge positive modifiers, etc).

The benefit should fall between the strength of a trade route and pantheon. Anything more stands to be over-powered, you need to remember that it will be possible to have multiple alliances in a game.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
  3. ChocolateShake

ChocolateShake Chieftain

Thanks for the suggestions Sun Ce of Wu and View619! I really like the new bonuses you mentioned, Sun Ce of Wu, and I've included them in the mod and will give credit to you :)

I really wanted to implement the bonuses today, but I'm running into a strange loading issue that I have to resolve first. Seems I underestimated the ease of modding them in a bit ;) I'll have to change the target release to Wednesday to be on the safe side.

I see what you mean regarding the alliances, View619, my goal is to make it so that alliances aren't so easy to get. I think diplomacy needs to be more subtle, alliances like you said are pretty much sure deals right now after you befriend someone, I don't think that should be the case. Debates are always welcome, if you think alliances should be kept easy I'll take that into consideration as well.

For now I'm focusing on just the friendship bonuses, but I still want to include the alliance bonuses, those I could implement by Friday. The goal with the alliance bonuses was to provide cooler and more interesting bonuses. What I could also do is add them in a separate file so players can choose whether or not to keep them.

So far the complete friendship bonus list is:

Cleopatra
    Granaries provide +1 food

Catherine
    Monuments provide +2 culture

Qin

Walls provide +2 culture

Jadwiga
    The palace provides +8 faith

Montezuma
    Barracks provide +3 culture (might change this to faith)

Tomyris
    Stables provide +4 culture

Saladin
    Campuses provide +2 faith

Victoria
    Harbors provide +1 gold and production

Pericles
    Theaters provide +2 science

Gorgo
    Encampments provide +2 culture

Trajan

Aqueducts provide +2 housing

Hojo
    Encampments provide +2 faith

Harald
    Harbors provide +2 gold

Teddy
    Campuses provide +1 science and gold

Mvemba
    Commercial hubs provide +1 housing

Peter
    Commercial hubs provide +1 science

Barbarossa

Industrial hubs provide +1 production

Philip
    Holy sites provide +2 faith

Gandhi
    Granaries provide +1 housing

Gilgamesh
    The palace provides +2 science and culture

Pedro
    Theater districts provide +1 great musician points

Sorry for the delay in releasing this update, I'll work hard to get it tested and ready for Wednesday. Hope you're enjoying the mod in the meantime! More feedback is always welcome :)

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
    Sun Ce of Wu and View619 like this.
  4. ChocolateShake

ChocolateShake Chieftain

ChocolateShake updated Dynamic Diplomacy with a new update entry:

Compatibility fix - changing installation instructions for non-DLC use

Read the rest of this update entry...

5. ChocolateShake

ChocolateShake Chieftain

Lets be friends

6. ITcore

ITcore Chieftain

Have to say, this is my favorite diplomacy mod. Works beautifully and results in a realistic type situation where I have a few allies, some friends, most neutral, some unhappy and a few denounced/war. However, I have run into 1 issue. Here's a screenshot.

Spoiler :

You can see that I have +2 and -2 for "Respects strong militaries". The issue arises with Pericles as well where I have the same positive and negative modifier for "Respects civilizations that avoid warmongering and capturing cities". Either there is a bug with that part of their agenda or the negative modifier needs to have the text reworked. For background, Cleopatra did chastise me for a small army towards the beginning of the game. Some time after, my military was second only to Rome. However, it seems the modifier stayed negative while also going positive.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
  7. ChocolateShake

ChocolateShake Chieftain

Thanks! :) It really means a lot to me to hear positive and constructive feedback, digging around in the database can get tiring at times. Glad to hear you're enjoying the mod!

Thanks for pointing out this issue too, that's just as important. I'll look into it, I thought I had it resolved but clearly something's still triggering it. Hopefully I'll have it fixed over the next few days. If you have any suggestions about tweaks I could make to the modifiers, please let me know!

I'm going to work on alliances as well as resolving this issue in the next update.

8. View619

View619 Chieftain

Any plans to add the friend bonus details in game? Maybe as a type of trade deal, otherwise an update to the leader screen?

9. ITcore

ITcore Chieftain

I definitely understand that. I'd say it was worth it, though! This mod, combined with AI+ and Harder AI, make the game so much better.

As for tweaks, what about more diplomatic messages? Recently, I had Rome contact me with a generic message (Your empire is large). Just like that, parenthesis and all. I found the text under LOC_DIPLO_KUDO_LEADER_TRAJAN_REASON_ANY in the text file. Seems to be catch-all text for some reason. Never seen it before. But beyond that, I don't even know if it's possible, but making the diplomatic messages more unique would be nice. Having them all say "I like the unique culture you're making." is odd.

Lastly, again, I don't even know if it's possible, but tweaking the units next to borders modifier. If I have an alliance or friendship, they shouldn't be freaking out about units. Doubly so if we're both at war with the same civ who I need to cross borders to get to. I have no idea if it's possible to set a condition on that, though.

10. ChocolateShake

ChocolateShake Chieftain

I like the idea of adding it as an update to the leader screen! I'll look into that possibility. For now I took a page out of Quo's book and included it in the tool-tip for the leader's historical agenda, I sadly didn't list that in the mod overview, I'll make sure it's listed. Thanks for pointing that out! :) Do you think the bonuses seem balanced at the moment? I'm thinking about nerfing Catherine's bonus to +1, I think it might be too beneficial considering the ease of building monuments.

Thanks again! :) I'm really glad you're enjoying the mod! I'm greatly enjoying AI+ as well, it adds so much to the game when you feel like you actually have to worry about a successful AI attack (apart from the initial warrior rush they sometimes try to pull off). I'll also take a look at Harder AI. Firaxis is probably going to have a gold mine of ideas for future updates based on all the mods that have come up :) They add so much to the game like you said!

You're spot on with the LOC_DIPLO_KUDO_LEADER_TRAJAN_REASON_ANY being a catch-all, and I completely agree with you on the custom leader texts, the current implementation isn't very immersive. I'm glad to report that custom statements are indeed possible! If you'd like to create some statements that would be great, and I'll make sure to credit you.

The Trajan catch-all probably means I made a mistake in one of the new modifier statements ;) I'll double-check them for a future fix.

How it works now is when a modifier is added, a "StatementKey" can be added that tells it which text to use. Instead of "ANY" we can use the name of the modifier, and we have to use LOC_DIPLO_KUDO for positive modifiers and LOC_DIPLO_WARNING for negative ones. Cleopatra should have a custom message for a wonder lead in the current implementation, you can look in "newAgendasText.xml" for the "LOC_DIPLO_KUDO_LEADER_CLEOPATRA_REASON_NEW_AGENDAS_MODIFIER_WONDER_LEAD". I was hoping to eventually include statements that include references to the cultural/historical background of the leaders/their nations, hopefully inspiring some Google searches :) Help would be greatly appreciated. If you're interested, you don't have to bother with the full modifier names, we can just create a sheet with the custom kudos and warning statements and I can tie them back to the full names during implementation.

I tried to find the modifier for the border units modifier, sadly it doesn't seem to be directly accessible at the moment (I also wanted to boost the impact of trade routes, and wasn't able to track it either). I'll dig around again to see if I can come up with something new. I was also considering taking a look at making warmonger penalties more conditional, I had a game where Teddy asked me for a joint war, I agreed, and then he immediately blasted me for violating his agenda! Though that problem is probably not easily fixable, I'm hoping to tweak it so that hopefully your partner in a joint war doesn't add it to your warmonger penalties.

Thanks for your suggestions! Looking forward to getting more (and hopefully the custom texts if you're interested) :) If anyone's interested just let me know and I'll create the custom sheet, or you could just message me the custom statement(s) you'd like to suggest.

11. View619

View619 Chieftain

ChocolateShake, if you're looking for increased challenge then I would like to suggest that you try Rush's "Smoother Difficulty" mod, which aims to smooth out AI culture and tech progression to be competitive throughout the entire game. AI + and Smoother Difficulty have really done a number on my games already, which is a good thing as it encourages more attempts at positive diplomatic relations.

With respect to balance, my initial suggestion is to be careful with anything that can be built in multiple cities (monuments, granaries, district buildings). If you can build one in every city, the yields should be lowest in comparison to other bonuses. Conversely, things that can only be built once (Palace) should have the greatest yields.

I actually want to get a few games in and gain a better understanding of the bonuses, and there are other players who may have suggestion so feel free to hold off on any adjustments. Probably best to gain feedback first.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
  12. ITcore

ITcore Chieftain

It was Smoother Difficulty that I was using, not Harder AI. Sorry about that! View619 reminded me.

At the moment, I'm working on something that should make altering dialogue lines simple, as far as organization goes. Only thing is to separate the lines that have spoken dialogue associated with it so we don't have mismatching subtitles.

13. ITcore

ITcore Chieftain

Attached is an organized listing of all AI text in the game. It's first sorted by civ then subdivided by category.

At the very end are some lines that seem to be used for a single purpose but used by all the civs. For that, I don't know if it is possible to create custom lines to attach to that event instead of a generic catch-all. Example would be "LOC_DIPLO_ACCEPT_EMBASSY_FROM_AI_ANY_ANY" which is the text for when an AI offers you an embassy and you accept. It's "Oh happy day!" for everyone. That is so out of character for just about every leader in the game. The weirdest is definitely when it's used by Gilgamesh. He's got this stern look when he looks over and nods but is supposed to be saying "Oh happy day!"

I hope there is a way we can change that.

Attached Files:

14. isau

isau Warlord

Very interesting to see another mod with Friendship Bonuses. :) It looks like you and I both had the same idea at around the same time, although our implementations are somewhat different. When I coded it int Quo's Combined Tweaks I mostly didn't expect it to work, but it turned out quite nicely.

I notice you removed Montezuma or Jadwiga in your code. The issue of DLC was something I struggled with until I found a work around. It's in the most recent release of Quo's Combined Tweaks at the bottom of the Quo_Friends_Code file if you want to have a look.

15. ChocolateShake

ChocolateShake Chieftain

Sorry for the late replies guys!

Thanks for the suggestion! I've given smoother difficulty a try, like you said in combination with AI+ it's made the game more interesting and fun. If you have any other suggestions please let me know :)

I agree with what you said regarding the bonuses, I'll wait for feedback before changing the numbers again. I'm behind on trying to get alliances to work, I'll be doing my best over the course of the next few days to get it sorted out, alongside the bug that ITcore mentioned regarding some of the modifiers not getting removed when they should.

I'm quite certain that can be changed, I'll be giving it a try tomorrow, thanks for mentioning it! I think all the text should be changed like you said to make the game more immersive. I'm pretty sure Firaxis meant to get around to writing custom text, but it must've been delayed. I'm interested to see if the upcoming mod tools will make it easier to change things like that. Right now I've been using Excel files to create custom SQL statements to update the text (or to create new text lines). While it's not too bad it can also be frustrating. Looking forward to testing this out, and hopefully to your new text additions :)

I think it's really cool that we had the same idea :) I took inspiration from some of your bonuses, I have to say they're a lot more creative than the ones I added. I might have to take some more inspiration from you when it comes time to add in the alliance bonuses ;)

I've been checking out your mod since [to_xp]Gekko recommended it for inspiration, I have to say I really like the changes you've made :) I'm hoping to sit down for a nice Civ session this Friday, I think I'll try the hardcore mode. You've made a lot of really interesting changes that I think will add a lot to the gameplay.

Your solution to the Jadwiga and Montezuma issue is really elegant!

16. ITcore

ITcore Chieftain

I'm working on some lines now. However, there is one thing I want to bring up.

The lines that are voice acted, I'd prefer to avoid changing those. You've changed a couple of them to better fit the new agendas but it works for English speakers because the Leaders in question aren't speaking English. Is that something you'd plan to keep, going ahead?

Also, for Rome, I'd personally thing Trajan's agenda should be positive large empire and army, not economy. Or, positive large empire/economy and negative small empire. That would align it with Germany who is positive large army/production and negative conquering city-states.

17. projektpeace

projektpeace Chieftain

Hello, I am having the same issue with the mod. It keeps crashing back to the Main Menu.

18. ITcore

ITcore Chieftain

Do you have any DLC?

19. ChocolateShake

ChocolateShake Chieftain

Steam Release

20. Kwamer86

Kwamer86 Chieftain

Is it normal that everyone is unfriendly in the beginning despite the fact that I have only positive modifiers?