DyP unit pack #1

I love the Bushi, he looks B.A.

It's really a double pleasure to add these units to DyP - brilliant work, Utah :goodjob:

Since this -year old post is still out in the open I might as well add that

- there is nothing wrong with his nick. It is the actual word for it. It is not this word, but the twitting of it that leads to issues (i.e. its alright to call a white person a "white", once you call him/her a "whitey" it'd mirror a certain 'negativeness'.

- And no- you are wrong, Samez. Only black Americans are actualy Afro-Americans (hence the name). Thats often the funny thing about trying to be politicaly correct: Most people don't get it right, and in the end its worse than before.

... and now I am confining the little wiseguy in my head back to its cell- up until in 3 further years time... :lol:

hey ...why are we talkin bout black ppl i named my nick after a german rap song. AND IM WHITE!

Samez said:
Wel also your nick is not the best... would be the "afroamericanperson" in english
Bad joke warning:

Moderator Action: <joke snipped...>

End of bad joke

Disclaimer: this joke is not supposed to be racist, but to illustrate the "stupidity" of to much political correctness.

Moderator Action: Steph - warned. The joke may not be racist in intent but you can't use that language here.

Der Neger - this word can have racist overtones, so a name change has been requested. If you're going to name yourself after German rap songs you ought to check what they mean first...

Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

And Samez - those black people who aren't American (ie, the vast majority of them) don't much appreciate being called Americans...

There is certainly many an emotion in these types of argument, as the above example clearly shows. Especialy via media that merely allows exchange of written words, the actual meaning is often lost. I am writing this in the best possible intentions so as to mediate, not to agitate. It is merely an issue that is quite important for me to set right.

Actualy, the meaning has been corrupted in modern times by (often unfounded) activism by entities of so called political correctness. Deriving from the word negro (spanish: 'black'), Neger merely means someone who is "black", similarly to the use of the term 'blanco'; as in white man (el hombre blanco).

While "white" is generaly and even officialy accepted, it is similarly used to describe particular razgs attributed to a number of different peoples (that may not even share all of those but differ in a number of other aspects) - and also often misused imply particular derogatory features that allegedly come with the way someone looks. Hence, 'white' is as problematic as any other superficial classification of different peoples under one single criterium (i.e. that of going into a certain direction as to what shade of pigmentation one has). However one would rarely get alarmed at being called it.

It is hence, not the fact that someone is (more or less) white or black, but the interpretation of the colour of skin to potentialy carry more meaning than it actualy would.

Its known that science uses both terms indiscriminantly for "members of a race of humankind classified according to physical features" [Enc. Brit] (as dark or light skin pigmentation). Such views are sometimes not shared by certain people and may be understood as offensive.

While I can personaly not agree with the view that science is rendered as offensive, just because one doesn't like what we learn through it, I was amazed when finding out, that not only do these organizations uphold their views that there are no racial differences from one human to another, but also that a significant number of activists of various organizations of political correctness actualy entirely ommit the etymologic origins of the term (Lat.: Nigr = black; colour).

However, it is in turn apparently their firm believe that it was all and exclusively brought up by imperialist slave traders. It is at this stage that one begins to suspect that these organizations live in a state of denial :|
One could carry this issue even further, since it is interestingly the same organizations that also deny the scientific fact of evolution altogether- for them it is offensive even to suggest things of the sort...

Conclusio Ratio:
I do agree that the choice of words "der Neger", while being an apropriate terminology, may conflict with the interests of this forum, do to the potential ease to misunderstand it. It would be naive to assume that it would not generate future issues over its actual or implied meaning, however unfounded they may be. Suggestion of a name change is advised, to Der Neger's best own interest (for such topics have a tendency to linger on and /or repeat themselves).

Top Bottom