Earth Map - Player Start Locations

TrustyTory

Chieftain
Hi there,

Why is the game randomizing earth start locations? Is there a way to have a country start in their proper earth location? That would be nice since I really don't want to start Germany in China if you know what I mean.

Hi there,

Why is the game randomizing earth start locations? Is there a way to have a country start in their proper earth location? That would be nice since I really don't want to start Germany in China if you know what I mean.

I completely feel you man, but think about it: if you play on earth with accurate placement S-America will be super empty

Started my first game as Russia. Was surprised to realize I was starting in North America! Come on Firaxis, even Civ 1 had no trouble setting this up...:p

They covered this somewhere already a while ago. You'll need to open the map in worldbuilder and edit in the start locations manually, then save it as a scenario or something. Otherwise it will always be random start locations.

They covered this somewhere already a while ago. You'll need to open the map in worldbuilder and edit in the start locations manually, then save it as a scenario or something. Otherwise it will always be random start locations.

You can't do that since they haven't released worldbuilder.

If you had Civs start in their traditional start location, Europe would be completely over-crowded and not even allow a full city per civ, and places like South East Asia, Australia, South America and Africa would be extremely empty.

Before you dismiss it offhandedly, you could try to give the benefit of the doubt to people who have thought about this about 1000x more than you have.

Hey - my comment was meant to be (mostly) tongue in cheek. I have been a civ player since civ 1. You know, the old block cities? So if I paid $60 to start an earth map in historically accurate places and that didn't happen, I have every right to complain. Just like you have every right not to complain. I'm saying it's a big pain in the ass and I don't like it.

I feel exactly the same way. i wanted to start a game as america, build this big ass empire unchecked and take over the world that way (its always the most fun way to go!) but i started a game and they started me in africa?! what gives, it shouldnt be that difficult to get this right. i want a game with every civ starting in their historic starting spot, and im gonna take it one step further and suggest every city-state in their historic spot, too. if anyone finds out how to do all this make sure to let us all know.

This thread pretty much embodies the ridiculous nature these criticisms against Civilization V have taken. I was playing on the Earth map for my first game, and I honestly never even thought about the things you guys are coming up in here. Why would anyone even think that the purpose of the Earth map had anything to do with putting the civilizations in the places they are located? I mean, how exactly would Washington and Hiawatha ever reconcile their differences? The Iroquois Confederacy is basically eastern New York geographically, after all, and, with the size of the cities, the best we'd see is Washington, and right next to it the capital of the Iroquois. And, what about Africa? The Songhai would get a pretty nice advantage with all that land and no other African civilization in the game to challenge them, after all. What good would the player start locations have on the actual gameplay, anyways? It's not like the players nor the AI would be plotting the cities after the capital anywhere remotely near their actual locations, after all. What about Australia, too? Or South America. Or Canada. Or Madagascar. Or the West Indies. The only reason people would want the player start locations to be the way they are in real life would be for realism, but, clearly, doing so would, right after the first city, provide a clear drift from realism, with some civilizations having the advantage of uninhabited land, whereas some civilizations, namely the European civilizations, would be at a clear disadvantage for obvious reasons.

Now, let me be clear. I am all for criticisms. The free market is, after all, built on competition. I was one of the first people to defend everyone the right of everyone who was outraged about the demo's release date to be outraged, but I also have the right to point out how obnoxious and illogical those criticisms are, such as the ones here. I'm all for holding Sid Meiers over the fire, so that he or his team keeps producing good quality in works, but, when a criticism becomes something like this, then I frankly just think you're all just making complaints for complaint's sake. If the game developers never intended to add realistic start locations, and, if those realistic start locations would be illogical in application and destroy the game's balance, then it's not right to criticize the makers over something like that. If you guys want a game like the one described on an earth map, then wait awhile for a mod or scenario specifically for that purpose, but you can't criticize the game developers for not including such a thing, because, not only was it never intended, none of the game developers probably ever thought that something like this would even be a problem, because, at the least, you guys have to acknowledge how unbalanced the game would be in such a case. It would also be rather unrealistic to imagine that only Hiawatha or Washington would primarily occupy the Americas, which couldn't be reached until the Industrial Age by every other civilization until such time has occurred.

Here is the main thing , the world builder should have came with the actual game on release day , that way people who would like to see relastic start locations could put the civs in the correct place. Personally what I did on civ4 is put two settlements per civilization , for instance France would get Paris in Europe , but I would also give them a settler in the Americas near New Orleans. Spanish with Spain/Florida , and so on , I for one find it stupid when America starts in China , or England starts in South America. Very unrealistic. I WANT WORLD BUILDER! I am so excited to see what some of the smart people on CivFanatics can create and I think I could create a really cool one too.

If you had Civs start in their traditional start location, Europe would be completely over-crowded and not even allow a full city per civ, and places like South East Asia, Australia, South America and Africa would be extremely empty.

Dale, I'm a big fan of your mods. But on this I must disagree. The crowding issue is easily solved in the "Set Up" interface, where you decide who (and how many) plays. And those big empty areas could be occupied with the new city-states, allowing a simulation of colonization (or cooperation).

Drake, "Ridiculous"? Really? Nobody is a bigger fan of the game than me. I've wasted countless hours of my life since Civ 1 playing. I'm not looking for extreme realism, but if I play a certain Civ on the Earth map, I expect to face the challenges that that Civ would face in real life. So if I play as Rome, it's nice to start on the Italian peninsula and face the army or navy question. If I want to play a landlocked country, I would play as Russia.

And remember this: In Civ 1 & 2, it worked that way. Only since Civ 3 have they made this an issue. Of course, it would be easily modded and the whole point would be moot if we had a Worldbuilder!

Im just glad they included an Earth map, and im happy with random start locations, for balance it makes sense.

Im just glad they included an Earth map, and im happy with random start locations, for balance it makes sense.

To me, balance only really makes sense in multiplayer. For me, the imbalance of an Earth map with true starting locations would just add to the challenge. Yes, some Civs will have it made, others will take some work.

There's no worldbuilder?

They SPECIFICALLY SAID there would be a world builder like two weeks ago. That's outrageous considering all the stuff that has been said about modability. If my game arrives in the post and I find there is no worldbuilder I will not be a happy man. Not having one would be simply unacceptable in a AAA strategy release like this.

For those people who call these criticisms "ridiculous", I would just like to let you know that here in the free world, people are allowed to voice their opinions. I have 9 hours played and counting - I am NOT saying I dislike the game. In fact, like every other Civ game, I'm completely hooked and will get years of enjoyment out of the game. But some people, myself included, look forward to the earth map, starting historically, so I know where everyone is and base my strategy and colonization appropriately. Just because that's not how you play does not mean my criticisms are "ridiculous." We should not have to go into the world builder and edit locations - there should be an option for random or not. That's the point of the earth map. All I was asking was is there a way, and now that I know there isn't (after being insulted and told to keep my opinions to myself - like I'm going to listen to that) then perhaps one day there will be a MOD where I can do that. Get it now???

Top Bottom