Earthquake in Peru.

Urederra

Mostly harmless
http://www.reuters.com/article/topN...81607_1332_DOUBLEFEATURE_petraeus_iraq_report

CHINCHA, Peru (Reuters) - Peruvians pulled hundreds of dead and wounded from the rubble of homes and churches on Thursday and some gathered them on street corners after a massive earthquake ravaged the country's central coast.

Emergency officials said at least 337 people perished and 1,300 were injured in the 8.0-magnitude quake on Wednesday night, and the death toll was expected to rise.

As rescuers scrambled through the debris in search of survivors, dazed residents guarded bodies in the street, not sure where to take them.

"We don't know what to do. I don't know where to hold a wake for her ... The wall just came down and crushed her when I was outside," Jose Flores, a boy about 12 years old, said as he stood near the body of his dead mother on the sidewalk outside their destroyed adobe home in the city of Chincha.

I read that the casualties are over 450 now. Magnitude 8.0. There was an Earthquake in Spain early this week too, magnitude 5.x, no deaths. I wonder if they are related.

Not much to discuss, but it is not as spammy as a birthday thread.

Dunno, and probably it is difficult to tell. Maybe we have too many seismometers?

It is like that old saying. Sometimes it is good not to have too much. If you have a watch, you know what time it is. If you have two, you are never sure.

(provided both are working and tell slightly different times)

Top Bottom