Easiest Civs?

I'd say Japan or England are the easiest. The hardest is Mali.

Well that depends on the player. Mine are:
Japan->Turkey->Germany->England->Greece->Rome->India->China->Russia->Rome->France->America->Spain->Netherlands->Portugal->Carthage->Babylon->Egypt->Maya->Ethiopia->Inca->Aztec->Khmer->Persia->Mongolia->Mali.
By UHV of course, note that I didn't complete Khmer onward but on Khmer and Persia I was pretty close.

Well that depends on the player. Mine are:
Japan->Turkey->Germany->England->Greece->Rome->India->China->Russia->Rome->France->America->Spain->Netherlands->Portugal->Carthage->Babylon->Egypt->Maya->Ethiopia->Inca->Aztec->Khmer->Persia->Mongolia->Mali.
By UHV of course, note that I didn't complete Khmer onward but on Khmer and Persia I was pretty close.

And is that easiest or hardest first?

With the exception of Maya, Mali, 3000 BC China, India and Babylon, they're all easy if you know what you're doing. The above civs are just plainly designed to be hard to get and need at least some luck with huts or plague (lack of).
Khmer I would say is very easy but cumbersome, Netherlands and Portugal are just plain idiotic and should be close to the first 5 in ease.

I actually found India and Babylon pretty easy, they were my first (Viceroy). Next i got Portugal, Netherlands, Spain, France, Greeks, Carthaginians, Egyptians, Inca. The first guys i tried were Maya, no strategy guides, no nothing. I think you can imagine what happened when the Aztecs came along.

I must agree with AP, though I find Mali pretty easy, since I use a very different strategy that is a little more dependent on luck (~1800 gold by 1300, which is usually enough these days), but almost as easy as the Japanese UHV used to be.

I don't know about easiest to hardest exactly, but I can get them into groups. This is all on Monarch, just so you know.

Victory on First Try:
Carthage, Greece, Persia, Netherlands, Portugal, France, Khmer*, Turkey, Arabia

Easy Victory:
Maya, Egypt, Babylon, China, Aztec, America, England, Spain, Ethiopia, Mongolia, Vikings

Medium Victory:
India, Rome, Inca, Germany

Hard Victory:
Mali

*=with lots of luck, but still easy

Carthage was by far the easiest for me, and Mali by far the hardest. I hate defending against barbarians to the extent that Mali has to, and Carthage can easily have triple the score of anyone else. I'm great as Turkey, Persia and Arabia because I like to bulldoze, not fight.

I actually found India and Babylon pretty easy, they were my first (Viceroy). Next i got Portugal, Netherlands, Spain, France, Greeks, Carthaginians, Egyptians, Inca. The first guys i tried were Maya, no strategy guides, no nothing. I think you can imagine what happened when the Aztecs came along.

Yeah, on Viceroy Babylon is quite easy, because the Techs are very cheap. And the main problem with Babylon is to get the Techs in time.

I think, that Japan is the easiet civ, too.

I forgot Arabia, it should be somewhere around where the European civs are.

For Monarch difficult, BTS:

Easiest:
Japan, Greece

Easy:
France, Russia, England, Portugal, Spain, Turkey, Dutch, Viking

Moderate:
Khmer, China, India, Arabia, Rome, Carthage, Germany, America, Aztec, Babylon, Mongolia, Egypt

Hard:
Inca, Maya, Ethiopia, Persia

Hardest:
Mali

I only count games I play alone, for example our SG as Turkey, I finished Turkey's UHV before that but only an earlier version, and after we finished the SG I played Turkey again and finished it (Or maybe it was during the SG).

Based on Opinion:

Japan's UHV is pathetic, Germany is so OP as a Civ, but they have some monumental problems to deal with (at first its spelled w/ an F then it becomes an R).

Turkey I had a blast with, Not as powerful as Germany, but after Arabia dies you only have to deal with Germany and Russia who the AI doesn't seem to play well, of course I got lucky on taking Istanbul on turn 5.

England is boring IMO. Its more about gettling the settlers where they need to be in time than actually playing a good game of civ.

India is pretty fun, depending on your difficulty level, since there UHV is so research based. Besides keeping Persia happy, and the random early war elephant they have a fairly easy game.

I found Greece to be hard, but maybe I was doing it wrong. The plague and Rome really screwed me up, although I wasn't actually trying to get the wonders but rather survive until I could switch to England (Greece survived until 1500).

I stopped playing Viceroy and have been moving through the easier Monarchs now.

Germany is so OP as a Civ, but they have some monumental problems to deal with (at first its spelled w/ an F then it becomes an R).

They're really not a problem if you use Frankfurt as the capital and found Reval (Talinn) and Faustindorf (Kiev). France is powerless without iron and Russia will be completely behind if you deprive them of their only seaport. Turkey is more of a problem because you have to try to capture Constantinople early on and inevitably Athens will flip to the Turks, so you either have to capitulate or collapse them.

Why does everyone consider Persia so hard? I've never failed as Persia. Is it just the slow immortal? I haven't played Persia for UHV since the update.

I think it also really depends on the version. For example Maya is much easier now, while Portugal (weaker now) has become harder.

Top Bottom