• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Education Post 9-11. Timeline of Historical Inventions

So the way the West has left out mentioning inventions of the eastern world for the past couple centuries should continue? I'm very confused.

Really? I know more about Emmett Till than I do about any King/Queen of England. Thank you school system!

But every british schoolchild knows that China invented paper, compass, gunpowder and one othe rthing and we're aren't taught about western inventions.

Able to be edited. Nationalist fervor. You do the math.

Anyway, for most inventions, it's really a case of people coming with things simultaneously and independently or gradual accumulation of innovations and knowledge.

Really? I know more about Emmett Till than I do about any King/Queen of England. Thank you school system!

But every british schoolchild knows that China invented paper, compass, gunpowder and one othe rthing and we're aren't taught about western inventions.

Did your school education somehow manage to exclude the agricultural and industrial revolutions and the second world war?

I mean one of my best friends is head of history at a secondary school and my step mother is a consultant for curating museums on the industrial revolution, so Im not just banging on here when I say you are talking complete twaddle. However much the daily fail says it, that doesnt make it so.

What the hell is this thread about?

I think it's about how it's better to remain ignorant about the Middle East.

I think it's about how it's better to remain ignorant about the Middle East.

Yeah without this we would have been so ignorant that Persian Carpets, are an invention from the Islamic world.

You see, in the industrialized world we don't need shoe polish, first because we don't spend our days wading through horse manure like russians do in the siberian countryside, secondly because we can buy new shoes with the all money our government didn't confiscate. So yes, I contest that shoe polish is "an important invention of the world." I am glad you appreciate it, even if, as your op suggests, you don't appreciate computers, cancer treatments, and syrup.

:snowlaugh:

even the snowman laughs at me.

It must have been very painful for all of you to be forced to learn a bit about cultures other than your own. Ironically, educators do this to have the opposite effect. It is supposed to make you more tolerant instead of less.

It must have been very painful for all of you to be forced to learn a bit about cultures other than your own. Ironically, educators do this to have the opposite effect. It is supposed to make you more tolerant instead of less.

There is a difference between 'Learning' and being obsessed with.

I think the way they do it is what annoys the crap out of me. If I were to learn about Black People, than give me a damn timeline of the kingdoms of Mali, or teach the class about Ethiopia or the Zulu's, Or about Swahili's! I don't need to know that a black guy invented Ice Cream, and I honestly couldn't care less.

Lol the words "Algebra" don't even appear in the List of Islamic Inventions: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inventions_in_medieval_Islam#Analogue_computers

You know you are going into one of these "Pity me we are minority and want more attention!" when the section starts off with "Imagine a world without Islamic/Black/Inuit Inventions. When we go out to drive our car we would always crash since there are no traffic lights. We would all have messy hair since there would be no combs!. If you wanted to go to the cafe to get a coffee, well you couldn't, since coffee is an islamic invention. If you wanted to eat a nice turkey for thanksgiving, well you couldn't since Turkey-Hunting was only introduced by the Native Americans".

I see no section starting off with what you have described. You are describing things that do not exist. What do you hope to achieve by such?

The gist is that a surfeit of political correctness has spurred overzealous educators to abandon facts in their attempt to assign certain parts of the globe a requisite number of inventions, so as to make them feel important or some crap like that.

There seems to be a lack of evidence, or even sense, to build that argument on.

There seems to be a lack of evidence, or even sense, to build that argument on.

It can be evidenced by the use of words thusly:
"Imagine a world without Islamic inventions! We couldn't go to a cafe and drink coffee, since Coffee was invented by Muhammad (pbuh) and his followers ."
This is how assignments on Islamic and Black inventios are supposed to be written.

Oh still no word on Chinese inventions though. Maybe Chinese never invented anything?
Or more likely variant, Chinese don't complain enough to be included in discussions of textbooks.

Yah I remember that, I think History class in Canada is more about Native Americans than Europeans.
Considering the Native Americans have been here for over ten thousand years longer than the Europeans, I think that's quite reasonable. There were plenty of civilizations here long before the Europeans came.

I'm just going to suggest that Wikipedia being full as it of wacko nationalists isn't really much use in proving political correctness, in-fact its proves something else entirely.

Top Bottom