Embassy to mavericks

We should send a reminder of the expiry of the NAP soon:

To the Mavericks,

Our non-aggression pact ends on turn 100.
The Continuum does not wish to extend it.

Best Regards,
Ambassador Bowsling
Quatronian Continuum​

I assume that we don't want to extend it...

That sounds good, and no, we definitely do not. I expect we soon be blockading their island for instance, A Galleon or two would hold up indefinitely.

We might as well just declare war, we'll hopefully be able to do something navally then.

Let's not send a note basically saying we are going to attack them. Let the NAP expire quietly and then we will strike at a time and place of our choosing pearl harbor style. ;)

Got this from the Mavs:

obsolete said:
We have built up quite a large army and are in position to snipe off a city from Ragnar which is near you.

Would you be up for the possibility of gifting some techs for the city in a deal?

Woah, okay, that's one of those things that totally takes you by surprise.

Mavs landing troops at ereh Ro would be absolutlely hilarious. But we don't really want to actually make that deal unfortunately.

Perhaps we could say something like "the Continuum has no objections to the affairs of other peoples - if you want to take the city or wage war on others, please go ahead and we will not retaliate, but we are not interested in a deal to acquire the city for ourselves or join in the fight"

I like the irony about that too because we were literally trying for a deal to trade the city with CDZ.

But if we don't offer Mavericks a deal I'm thinking that maybe they don't declare war anyway, this is just a funny situation.

Last comment - if Mavericks think they can turn on us, well, we can have our caravels heading up there so we should actually be safe enough to prevent them from moving ships too far south to our lands (and Resonance will be building more troops)

obsolete chose an excellent time to send that. Kind of nullifies the message we were thinking of sending.
And I'm thinking something like this, hopefully this isn't too revealing:

There are 10 turns left on our non-aggression treaty.
There is no use in making that number smaller.
Ambassador Bowsling
Quatronian Continuum​

Interesting. Very interesting- this is very well timed in a moment of heated rivalry with CDZ. This prompted me to step back a bit and analyze our situation. There is no doubt in my mind that they sent a similar message to CDZ.

First off, we have the worst position in terms of our job in the "grand alliance" plan. We have to fight Mavericks, who are militarily stronger than MERLOT, and they have built towards us extensively, while we're bogged down on the peninsula. In a war between us and Sirius and the Mavericks, Sirius, with their East Indiamen will likely take most, if not all, of the Maverick homeland, including the ultimate prize, their capital. They are likely researching machinery or construction, giving them crossbows to which we have no counter (mounted units)- we don't even have any macemen to plow through what their army looks like now. This leads to my second point...

Why do we have no counter to these units? We have no horses/elephants because they are on the Maverick peninsula, and we've settled towards CDZ. We've put all of our rexing efforts against CDZ, and let Mavericks build an army and an empire (we don't even have a maceman yet). I'm not complaining about past policy, which I've been on board with, just looking at the situation.

Thirdly, our race for music is going to further harm our alliance with CDZ, especially if we culture bomb. Culture bombing would quite possibly put the entire alliance at risk, or at least our membership in it. I'm not sure how offended Sirius and Amazon would be by it, but their attitudes will likely decide for us what to do with the GA.

Finally, if we were to gift a bunch of techs to Mavericks/ Merlot, we would gain two very happy allies, and Mavericks would become the strongest nation military wise after upgrading their army. Now, I'm not suggesting absolutely that we should do this, but that we should seriously consider it. (I'm undecided.) We would get a 3v3 and hopefully, if we do things right (secretively), we can wrest control of our peninsula from CDZ. Part of diplomatic games like this are knowing when to backstab your allies. I'm not sure if this is it, but it is certainly a window worth considering.

The third team doesn't necessarily have to be MERLOT, it would probably work better if we got Sirius on board.

As for problems with this plan, there are a few:
1) We'll be seen as dealbreaking. Clever diplomacy(propaganda) might mitigate this a bit, but our reputation would be stained. Our new allies should be happy to be back in the game though.

2) With Merlot and Mavs, our GDP and tech rate would be lower. That goes for pretty much every demographic with the important exception of military strength.

3) 3v3 is not as good as 4v2, even with surprise.

4) It's absolutely crazy.

================================================================

As for our reply, we should string them along and show interest to find out what their research plan is.

I disagree with your sentiment that east indiamen will give much of an advantage when it comes to taking the mavericks home island. I don't think we expect mavericks to be able to challenge galleons much navally anyway and the strength of the boats doesn't figure into actually taking the cities.

I don't agree we're threatened by Mavericks either. Nor do I think we can't succeed in conquering mav cities. We can build crossbows too, so on a forest or hill or something we're fine, and we'll have siege and macemen for raiding cities and they won't. And if anything, we stand to more easily conquer Maverick land than Sirius does due to closer cities to seize if things go right.

I would absolutely love to backstab CDZ, but we can't really go against Sirius and AMAZONs that easily. 3v3 with us and mavs and MERLOT versus the rest would be a sure loss because we can't compete with Sirius especially.

Personally I'd go with stark raving bonkers. I like the analysis but don't agree with the conclusion.
Mavs must realise that they need to break the alliance somehow. This offer is win-win for them. They offer it to both teams and then accept the offer that suits them the most.

I doubt CDZ are stupid enough to go for it. It's suicide. We can however use it to our advantage to poison the well. Diplomatically I suggest we declare this to the other members of the ETTT not including CDZ. Any trading that is evidenced through score or diplo advisor would be grounds to have CDZ booted out of the ETTT.

I doubt CDZ are stupid enough to go for it. It's suicide. We can however use it to our advantage to poison the well. Diplomatically I suggest we declare this to the other members of the ETTT not including CDZ. Any trading that is evidenced through score or diplo advisor would be grounds to have CDZ booted out of the ETTT.

This. I agree. To AMAZON we should give special warning to be careful with their central "hub" city though.

sure loss because we can't compete with Sirius especially.
That's the reason it doesn't work. I wasn't saying we should do this, but it is an option out there in the future- especially if the rest of the ETTT starts getting hostile.

I think now that the Mavericks have built an army, they don't want to sit around and wait for our advanced units to attack them, they want to do some damage. We should warn Amazon, if they build that city, Mavericks will very likely raze it.

We can now see more clearly why they ordered us away from that city- that's where they've been keeping their troops (either that or they're bluffing, but I'm inclined to think they do in fact have an army, what else have they been doing?)

They've been building a lot of settlers too though, and ships are expensive, but yeah they probably have a relatively decent army. Not going to last long at all when we and our allies get a couple more caravels/galleons and maces around on the ground.

I think the AMAZON's new city or CDZ city are really the only ones in major threat though - don't think they could sail down to our lands without us having ample warning and able to get units out (plus they've have to have multiple galleys too, or else a 2-unit landing probably will not take any of our cities which we'll soon have more troops from Resonance)

Drafting up a reply that I will send if there are no objections:
To The Mavericks,
The Continuum has no interest in black-market cities. If you wish to attack CDZ for no reason at all, knock yourselves out, however, let it be known that CDZ are our trusted allies, and we would be rather disappointed if you felt that aggressively raiding our allies would help gain our trust. We have no interest in such despicable city trading.
Ambassador Bowsling
Quatronian Continuum​

Looks good, though we should hold off until the CDZ thing has been sorted out, in case CDZ betrays us.

Edit: I had not read discussion in another thread before posting this post. I encourage everyone to read the current AMAZON embassy if they are worried about this issue.

Given that, the message above is perfect by me, just a harsh and irrevocable denial and nothing to lead the Mavericks on.

Top Bottom