Empire of the Sea (Vikings/Norse development thread)

@ NiRv4n4

Saying that Njord is an obscure god is just taking it too far. Not as well known as some of the other norse gods, yes. Njord is however the Father/Mother of Frøy and Frøya, both of which are well known norse gods. But really either way works just fine, Viking raiders (Christian or Pagan) would probably have prayed for both Odin and Njord to bless them on their sea expeditions.

Even though Sweden can be looked upon as the main viking hub
That is not true. The main viking hub was Scandinavia as a whole, and if you ask me, I see sweden as the least powerful of the Viking states, as it was divided in Civil war much longer than for example Norway (who even stayed a power even if it was divided) and not really united until the expertise of Birger Jarl became appearant.

DioBrando said:
A cool feature for the UU would be to be able to construct runestones, which would spread culture to the tile in which the improvement has been built and give maybe a small boost of culture, like five or so. Mostly flavorful, since the vikings did do this both in their own land as well as when seafaring.
No. The reasons are that it is not really what people think of as 'Viking', and while we also are trying to have other sides of the Norse, we still try to keep it a bit of stereotype (the Berserker UU is proof of that) and that this will be HARD to code.

DioBrando said:
With that out of the way, there's a lot of great ideas here. While the Hanseatic League is indeed a nice power, the Hansa wasn't viking at all since it was based in Lübeck.
The best argument here is not where it was located, but the fact that it became active after the Viking Age and in many ways kept the trade the Norse started before them.

DioBrando said:
About the name thingie, Odin was often associated with Wisdom, but not so much with raiding. Just name it Call of the Aesir or Calling of the Sea. Sea in itself was holy enough, so they didn't really have a "god" for it.
They had. He was named Njord.

DioBrando said:
[...]just focus on the Viking part.
That is why we do not add Runestones increasing culture.

DioBrando said:
Knut would be a good leader,[...], but maybe a more norse spelling of the name would be in order.
Canute will stay with that name, as Civ generally use the name from the languages it is played in. Since Canute is the english spelling and besides is best known by this name, he will stay Canute.

DioBrando said:
Great initiative, i look forward to playing as the nords!

Aawh man, totally trashed! Anyway good luck with the mod, i'm working with post-viking age Sweden right now. How would you like to do this by the way, should i just skip Uppsala and Lund as cities in my mod? There are plenty of cities to go around, so it should not be that big of an issue.

Use Uppsala and lund if you want. There will be no difference as the game only allows one city with the name in each world, so basically the first to found the city will get the name. It is the same about capitals to some civs actually. For excample, if the Moors are in the world, they should have Corduba, and will recieve since no other civ have that as a capital, but if they are not then Spain should found it. Same goes for Carthage, which should be in the Phoenician city lists. So basically you should place it there. If the Norse are not present on your map, then the Swedes will found Uppsala, but if they are, the possibilty are high of the Norse having the city as it is their second city.

I think you might be interested in this thread:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=9650521#post9650521

I would like to suggest that the city of Middelfart be added.
Besides being a Danish city, it will also provide some hilarious 'what the heck?' moments, when people with English as their native tongue see it for the first time. :D

Might be an idea, thoug I think it fits best in the Fun Facts section, where I will mention what Viking actually mean and that the reason they did move out of Vinland were fierce natives. However, we need more on the fun-part, so keep it coming :p

I would like to suggest that the city of Middelfart be added.
Besides being a Danish city, it will also provide some hilarious 'what the heck?' moments, when people with English as their native tongue see it for the first time. :D

In previous Civ games, the last city on the list often was intended as an inside joke. I believe they had Thunderfall as a Scandinavian city (and Apolyton as a Greek city). Perhaps Middlefart could be that last city this time.

Middlefart is the best idea ever.

You know, in Finland we have the world's shortest town name. The town of I is located in the northern parts of the country. I bet that would be an interesting city name to add as well, although many wouldn't understand the fun of it.

We'll add it... and I think I shall also say that I included Istanbul/Constantinople/Byzants in their city list under its old Norse name: Miklagard :D

I have all the music I need, and they do not really need diplomusic. I will use much of Griegs work as their music, and have acsess to all of it, so no help needed there.

How is this mod coming along? I really want to play with the vikings, on a large/huge earth map with true start-locations. That would be all I need for civ at the moment ;D

How about,

UU: Bersarker, a replacement for swordsmen that gets a boost if damaged. (Like having populism for a single unit)
UB: Longhouse, something that gives them love in cold climates - like food in tundra, or yeilds from resources.

UA: (This is where you put your Longboat). Sea Raiders - When Embarked, all military land units before the renaissance age become "longboats" while at sea. They may enter ocean squares and attack other ships. (Stronger than a Trireme). Pillaging produces twice the gold. (This second ability does not expire)

The consequence of this would be that the Norse would have an Equal navy to whatever Army they field in the early part of the game.

EDIT: Conversely, you could also let the Unique Ability never expire - but guarantee that the Longboats would be inferior to navy vessels of the Renaissance age. So long as they are superior in the Ancient, Classical and Medieval ages.

Longhouse is already taken :p

And there will be two UUs, with both stats already decided. The UA is also decided. I just have not edited the first page to reflect all the changes yet.

@aguds
Welcome to the forum, aguds. Great to see other Norwegians here on the Forums.

Is is possible with LUA/XML to make the changes desired at this moment or would it be necessary to wait for the dlls to be released?

unique unit: Viking Raider - +1 movement while embarked(no movement penalty when embarking/disembarking?), replaces swordsman
unique unit: Viking Longboat - not sure what would be approriate, maybe increased bombardment range and or damage? would replace the galley

I like the idea of a UA that removes and maybe buffs amphibious attacks.

I am installing the Microsoft Visual Studios now, so I will see what I can do ;)

There will be no edits from the current status. Everything is decided.

Top Bottom