Empire-wide district balance

I often got Computer around T140. I think
Science is extremely important in every type of VC.

By the way, I never build Commercial Hub. I'm very negative towards this useless district.

Without Commercial Hubs, how do you typically generate gold for buildings, units or great people?

--

As for the science/culture balance, just as Computers is a turning point for tourism, so is the Enlightenment for science and gold generation (the policy cards basically turn libraries into universities and markets into better banks). Even without too many theater squares, it's worth at least investing into early monuments, and picking a culture-boosting pantheon like Open Sky.

Last edited:
I think globalization is so strong for SV that I will focus on getting it before getting all the tech(except Rocketry for the Spaceport of course). And Theater District, especially archaeological museum provide so much culture when themed that I will build several of them to boost my culture.

While globalization is a great civic, I would very strongly recommend against building museums when not going for cultural victories. Keep in mind that meritocracy + monuments + culture from trade routes should get you above 100 culture per turn. Museums are a huge investment just to get globalization a few turns earlier.

Yeah, this is probably true. I get bummed when half my city state envoy quests are "recruit a great artist/writer/musician" but unless I'm really pushing theater squares I'm never going to catch the AI on that anyway. I have a hard enough time getting the Education eureka, lol.

Going so far away from your path just to get 1-2 more envoys is pretty much always an inefficient strategy. On Deity you'll need a bunch of theater squares and their buildings to get those great artists/writers. There are cheaper ways to get envoys than recruiting great people that you don't need. For example, mid-late game eventually the civics that give you free envoys will be very cheap (1-2 turns) and you can get them without losing so much time.

I think globalization is so strong for SV that I will focus on getting it before getting all the tech(except Rocketry for the Spaceport of course). And Theater District, especially archaeological museum provide so much culture when themed that I will build several of them to boost my culture.

I've actually been finishing most of my science games before globalization. In my last victory I even finished before space race. As said before I think your victory district will just be far more important than any other. The best all around district IMO is probably campus followed closely by commercial hubs (for international routes not domestic). A lot depends on bonuses and city states though. The game is actually pretty well balanced, I don't think there is a single useless district (though I guess entertainment comes close).

Keep in mind that if you are not going for cultural victories you absolutely don't need to build theater squares at all. Just get the "meritocracy" civic and you should have enough culture to win any game (especially a religious one).

You can also totally win domination victories without ever building an encampment, even on deity.
I'd never build a theatre square in a deity game unless playing Kongo. The chances of getting a single great writer are nearly 0 otherwise but I still highly value my encampments.

A single theatre can get very good culture and it has a 25% discount if you have not built any as well as holding some war/deal bounty. You can always get a few theatres with violence anyway but a placed theatre chopped in later if need be is good backup defence against culture runaways. It's all a question of how efficient you really want to be and what VC you are going for. I would never build a theatre for a Dom victory but if my neighbour has early great writings it can be hard to pass up the culture they bring.

Top Bottom