Enemies using roads

blac

Warlord
I think it would be cool to let enemy troops use the roads you built. It would make attacking more strategic, since there are more points to attack, and defending more focused on certain points. Also retreating troops could pillage a road or bridge to slow down the enemy.

Civ2 had that. Railroads were a massive problem, but roads might not be so bad. Even if they gave them a movement bonus that isn't quite as large, that would be a good balance.

At one time, I thought about the idea of the road bonus would represent the defensive advantages you get from knowing your home territory. But line of sight and all those SP bonuses could be sufficient.

Enemies can't use roads you've built? Can't say I'm 100% sure but I think they can?
I mean if the enemy captures one of your cities they can use the road, if there is one, to go to your next city.

Could be cool to a limited extent; maybe give them double movement, but not the full benefits?

This would need to be in combination with the ability to bomb roads, though, I think.

Enemies can't use roads you've built? Can't say I'm 100% sure but I think they can?
I mean if the enemy captures one of your cities they can use the road, if there is one, to go to your next city.

They can't use the roads in your territory, but they can use them once the roads are within their own territory.

Moderator Action: Moved to Ideas and Suggestions

Civ4 had a promotion "Commando" which did the trick. Would be a good addition to civ5 as well. At least scouting units should have the ability to get that promotion, maybe melee units too.

If you didn't defend your roads then you would be screwed but it just makes them more of a focus point. Would someone be able to mod this? Or is that possible

This is a good idea. Though it shouldn't work with railroads for obvious reasons.

But since the roads in ciV are much more scarce, it is fair to make them strategicly important, especially with 1upt.

i agree with adding in the commando promotion, even if it's more of a unit attribute. actually, it might be better that way.

This is a good idea. Though it shouldn't work with railroads for obvious reasons.

But since the roads in ciV are much more scarce, it is fair to make them strategicly important, especially with 1upt.

I was inspired by reading about the allies trying to capture bridges in WWII. I think it would just make defending take a lot more strategy

Top Bottom