Enjoying Civ 5, but the tactical AI is disappointing.

Zhahz

PC Gamer
Overall, I'm enjoying Civ 5 quite a bit. Steam says 56hrs played but I swear it's not counting them all!

However, I'm very, very disappointed by the tactical AI.

I don't expect the greatest AI ever, but I do expect the AI to be better than moronic and to at least use the very basic rules of the game and of tactical combat somewhat well. I do not buy the "Civ IV AI sucked in vanilla BS" - that's just all the more reason to get it better in vanilla 5.

First off, many people say the production speeds in Civ 5 are slow - and they can be - unless you specifically set up military production cities, and even then, it can be slow. If you purchase units at a city with barracks+ they get xp as if built, which is slick. But you can't always afford to throw down for costly units. Either way - these are two basic concepts - buy troops where you have military buidlings that give xp and be aware it takes a while to build units, so unless you're fighting for your life defending, you should be planning and using your troops intelligently to avoid LOSING THEM ALL AND LEAVING YOURSELF OPEN TO BEING TAKEN OUT IN A HANDFUL OF TURNS. Or you could be a Civ 5 AI and be oblivious to basic concepts of survival.

What it does well:
- take other AIs out - it's nice to see AIs actually accomplish something vs each other in war (unlike in Civ IV where I sometimes never see the AI even take a city unless they have a massive tech advantage and I almost never see one Civ conquer another in IV). In fact, it's somewhat alarming when you play continents and one AI on another continent is taking out everyone else and growing huge. Or you're on pangea and one AI is systematically taking out everyone very rapidly. Unfortunately, it's hard to truly be impressed here because the AI is so utterly stupid with combat that it can't even fight itself well. Once an AI throws everything it has at you or another AI in futility, it has nothing. It doesn't grasp the concept of "once your army is dead all those units taking 20 turns to create are uselss to you and your empire is toast."
- seems to sometimes use great generals to support masses of troops - shocking due to other failings

What it does not do well:
- it does not keep troops in reserve, which is an utterly basic concept. Ok, with small empires and ungodly maint costs, it's hard to have a reserve - but that's a decision by a deeper thinking human who's taking risks and flying by the seat of his pants.
- tying into my mini rant above, the AI very frequently lets its entire army die, mostly by throwing the units at defenders like a complete moron, which leaves it's entire empire undefended, crushes it's combat rating, and entices another AI who has troops to attack and take them out completely.
- it does not support melee with ranged unless it's an accident
- it marches ranged/siege into melee range of cities or enemies (really, of all the things I've mentioned, this one bothers me the most. How about one EFFING simple IF/THEN conditional, IF moving a ranged/siege results in putting the unit next to an enemy melee unit, THEN DON'T FRIGGIN MOVE! Better yet, fire from range and do some damage instead or get the hell behind one of your melees so you don't get one-shot next round. This truly makes me wanna bludgeon someone.
- it doesn't seem to leverage terrain, flanking, or any other basic bonus concepts. All this time I've been waiting thinking, man, the Civ 5 combat system is gonna rock - all the terrain usage, promotions, ranged over melee, etc - yep, it's neato for me, too bad the AI has absolutely no clue about how cool it is.
- it has no patience - when it's go time (war declared) it just floods everything in towards you, regardless of what the troop is, it might start trying to beat down a city with an AA gun - and I've definitely seen the AI featuring WAY too many anti tank guns as basic troops. It's like a bad AI joke, AI says, "haha, I just got tech for anti-tank guns, I'll make 20 of them now, isn't that hilarious?!" Yep, the 2 armor I brought and fully protect from them is laughing all right. How's that maint cost doing ya?
- it doesn't defend well - if you attack it, it's doesn't form up lines on terrain and make you break thru, instead it throws all its troops at your line and impales itself on your pikes - or, I don't think I've ever seen the AI truly defend a city, usually it has spent all it's troops "counter attacking" (aka lemming suicide) such that I attack undefended cities, usually. The best defense is lemming suicide attack, apparently.
- AI will embark units right next to your ranged or ships - pure genius, and again, how about a simple conditional - let's DUMB IT DOWN and make it even simpler than the range moving into melee conditional:

*IF* THIS MOVE WILL RESULT IN SUICIDE, *THEN* DON'T DO THE MOVE.

Why isn't this kind of thing basic to AI movement? Don't ask me. I'm a programmer. I'm not a sophisticated AI programmer. I'm also not a complete idiot. If my code failed in such a horrible way I'd quit techonology and move to montana to sell farm equipment for cash only.

IMO, this is very lame. Shafer himself is a fan of this combat system and how could he let this get released and be happy with it? Apparently he needs to revisit Wesnoth and take his lead combat AI clown with him to see that, yes, it is possible for a computer to do hex-based combat and use terrain, use troops somewhat intelligently, and punish the player for making mistakes instead of marching units out like lemmings to the slaughter. Wesnoth is just an example.

Again, I'm not expecting expert chess type AI. But I do expect it to get the basics and I have seen games pull it off. Instead of having one lead combat AI clown, they should've had a team of 5, 10, 20, 100 - wtf-ever it takes to get the combat AI reasonably decent in the game. The combat changes are one of the biggest changes and most obvious changes in Civ 5.

The rules of hex based 1UPT tactical aren't rocket science. They're actually pretty damn simple. Use terrain, range support melee, form lines, etc. The big picture strategy and overall thinking is tougher, for sure, but if you isolate a 12 hex by 12 hex battle space with a handful of units vs a handful of units, and a clear idea of what else you have available and how quick you can get them there, the available moves and rules are pretty firm. As a player you're going to put promoted units on the correct terrain type, you're going to put a couple blockers in front of your siege so the enemy can't freely beat on your siege. You're going to soften up targets with that siege and finish them off with your melee ONLY if it doesn't expose your siege or put your melee unit in a comprimising position. Not that complicated, right? Basic decisions. AI and computers are awesome at basic decisions.

Oddly, the Civ 5 AI does better at big picture strategizing, which is far more intellectual, and fails miserably at the low level combat which features crystal clear rules. I'm a programmer - rules are awesome. You can code rules. It's simple If/Then statements. It's evaluating plain data. Arrrrrrrrgggg.... The AI seems good at figuring out when someone is ripe to be slaughtered, it's good at building units to build up a balanced army, and the noncombat AI (city building/spamming into oblivion REX til every possible habitable tile is covered as freaking usual idiocy) and empire management AI seem really good.

So...why doesn't the Civ 5 tactical AI even get the ultra basics right?

It's very distressing. I'm off to drink more.

I suppose it would be asking too much for an AI to occaionally go for a 3 city cultural win, intelligently defending it's terrain with a smallish army, instead of REXing itself into only being able to win via domination? Yeah, probably asking too much.

Diplo is a bit wonky to say the least, but that's another rant. Gotta love how AIs want pacts of secrecy in the first 20 turns of the game against other AIs they've just met but who have wronged them in so many ways...or how they call you a bloodthirsty warmonger and sever relations after slaughtering every living thing on their continent....wtf.

Diplo makes me laugh. The tactical AI makes me cry - or wanna break something.

I agree completely, the biggest flaw in this game is how horsehockey the AI is at war. I had this situation last game:

Playing Rome at Monarch, Hiwatha is buddy buddy with me, signing pacts of cooperation, research agreements, open borders and he hates the rest of the world, he essentially forms my entire border with the rest of the continent, he has plenty of weaker opponents that he hates to assault, but for whatever reason he attacks me. I have longswords, he is fielding mohawks. Long story short he rushes all of his melee units at me, I kill them all and then charge his archers and return to my territory, sue for peace and HE GIVES ME HIS ENTIRE EMPIRE! Every city except his capital, every bit of gold, every resource, he left himself almost nothing. And I didn't inflict a single point of city damage.

The AI basically hands me victory, not fun. Oh and the change from emphasis on large unit tactics to small tactical unit choices GREATLY weakened the AI's already questionable ability to fight because it's more difficult to overcome a defensible position with pure numbers.

I too had a similar situation, i'm finally up to prince setting and the AI is owning the other AIs and they are keeping pace with my tech wise but in the first 100 turns two different AI attacked me and i just sat near my cities and archered and bombarded all their units and then just walked over to their undefended cities and killed them both... Im liking Civ 5 alot but Civ 4 made up for a weak AI with lots of Units where as here you cant have too many due to maintenance. I personally liked having huge armies of complexity.

I had the strangest game today. I was on settler level, learning the game and I was Greece and was friends and allies with most city states, and by turn 250 George Washington had gone and killed every single city state! I'm sitting there thinking ' whAt The hell!'. That hasnt happened before on settler level.
What I also find bizarre is how vulnerable the amphibious units are in the water. I had a knight and he had to move accross 1 tile of water and what would normally take 4-5 shots to kill in a knight state, died instantly by barbarian attack whilst in boat mode.
I also find that in this boat state my units will become perminantly inactive or get lost altogether.

I had a knight and he had to move accross 1 tile of water and what would normally take 4-5 shots to kill in a knight state, died instantly by barbarian attack whilst in boat mode

You want to know what the real kick in the head is? If you attack a barb or enemy civ embarked unit it usually takes 2-4 attacks to sink it; but you get one-shotted.

The more and more I play the naval game the more i am finding the embark mechanic to be completely dumbass. It is very very hard to protect your embarked ships (AI and player) and the AI just gives your fleet a turkeyshoot. If it wasnt for the fact that the AI never fires at embarked player ships you would never be able to capture an island city; much less carry out an invasion.

To top it off naval battles are boring as SIN as better tech ship do not do that much more damage. I had to LOL seeing a caravel survive attacks from 2 destoyers. /facepalm

Rat

You want to know what the real kick in the head is? If you attack a barb or enemy civ embarked unit it usually takes 2-4 attacks to sink it; but you get one-shotted.

The more and more I play the naval game the more i am finding the embark mechanic to be completely dumbass. It is very very hard to protect your embarked ships (AI and player) and the AI just gives your fleet a turkeyshoot. If it wasnt for the fact that the AI never fires at embarked player ships you would never be able to capture an island city; much less carry out an invasion.

To top it off naval battles are boring as SIN as better tech ship do not do that much more damage. I had to LOL seeing a caravel survive attacks from 2 destoyers. /facepalm

Rat

Lol yea and sometimes u don't even know that they are in amphibian mode! It will always try and find the quickest path andU ask a unit to move 8 tiles away and u move onto a city production screen and get distracted, and all of a sudden u get a 'a unit has
Been killed' pop up and u look down and it's like ' dang that was my best unit too!' haha.
That will teach me for not paying attention huh :)

Instead of telling your ship to attack the embarked unit, tell your ship to move into the same tile as the embarked unit. It'll kill the transport instantly, but you won't get any experience for it and it does use up your attack for the round. Anyways, that's how the AI is killing transports in 1-hit.

I agree, earlier today I posted something similar, without any replies.

The AI needs to work with killzones. It seems to only calculate whether it can survive after attacking a unit, but it should also calculate whether moving to a certain tile is a good idea. Like it can obviously see an artillery unit, and still sends in a good unit where it can be shot. What is wrong with a stalemate situation? Why does the AI NEED to attack? If the current situation is stalemate it's fine, no need to risk everything to break through. They play like the French military in WW1, appalling and having no respect for the lifes of their own citizens!

Another thing is that the AI will need to think in depth:
Defensive line, level 1:
- Select defensible tiles for units! Far away enough from border to not get attacked too heavily on the first turn an enemy declares war!
- Infantry front
- Artillery middle
- Cavalry behind or on the flanks

Defensive line, level 2:
If the enemy breaks through level 1, and possibly starts attacking the first border cities, and does much damage to the level 1 line, there should be a level 2, to return a lot of damage to the enemy's hurt winners, and take back lost terrain the next turn.

Defensive line, level 3:
If there is war on the North border, then also keep reserves for possible wars on other frontlines! These reserves can also be used if it is really going horribly wrong.

In general civ5 is great, but if they don't solve these AI issues I won't be playing this game as much as I've played civ4, because this is just boring. I defeated a stronger opponent than me, conquering all their 20'ish cities while losing only 2 units in maybe 15 turns!

Top Bottom