Erebus RPG Player's Guide (Work in progress)

I filled in some info in the Balseraph section. Anyone feel free to use it.

Culture:
Spoiler :
The Balseraph exist in a strange society that upholds pleasure as the highest goal to strive for. If it feels good, do it. This tends to lend itself to a society where the powerful can exert their own ideas of what is and is not pleasurable on others less fortunate. While they may have a carefree attitude, they consider petty crime beneath contempt. A lord may execute a thief who steals some bread for his starving children, but pardon a banker who tricks a landowner into signing over their property with a clever contract. Balseraphs have no surnames, as proving who your father is would take an act of the Gods.

Language:
Spoiler :
The Balseraph tongue is derived from Patrian, but has over time taken on a sing song lilt to it. In an effort to emulate their leader, many of the rich and powerful always speak in rhyme when giving a pubic speech. A Bannor traveling through Jubilee would understand what was being said, but would have trouble responding with the unique inflections used.

Religion:
Spoiler :
Formal Religions are relatively rare in Jubilee. The largest organization is the Stewards of Inequity who seek to "redistribute" wealth. Esus has many followers as does Aeron amongst the more sexually sadistic. Most Balseraphs simply worship Perpentach himself.

Classes:
Spoiler :
Bards and Rangers (known amongst the Balseraph as Harlequins) are most common. Wizards are powerful but rare. They must pass Perpentach's tests to learn the Balseraph art of Puppetry. Most of the Fighting classes are made up of Freaks. Twisted men and women disfigured for amusement and ferocity.

Region:
Spoiler :
Jubilee is across the Aegean sea from Innsmouth and sits near the Hippus lands and Luchiurp territory.

Player Characters:
Spoiler :
Balseraphs love adventure and excitement. Many will travel from town to town in elaborate carnivals stealing and fornicating their way through Erebus. A player could be performer in town or may have sold his or her skill to the highest bidder.

I found your guide very nice, Nikis-Knight. It sure is helpful. Yet allow me to share my opinion about some excerpts of it.

I've noticed that you didn't say much about some of the gods in their section. Some you haven't said nothing at all (like Dagda) and instead focused on describing about their Archangels or some other stuff.
Well, I only think that this section should focus more on them. There are other sections for the other stuff.
Anyway, that's just my view.

Now about the Kuoritates, I particularly disagree with rendering them with only one huge city. I think the original conception that describes them as a confederation of great cities, along with a specific ruler for each (but still with Cardith as their leader), should be kept.

thewyrm, did you see the more recent version with all civs filled in? Still, I will steal some of what you have and mix it in; if others see weak sections and wish to help, I'll do likewise.

Well, I only think that this section should focus more on them. There are other sections for the other stuff.
Anyway, that's just my view.
Yes, that's true. Well, some isn't established much yet, and needs invention, and if I wasn't inspired yet I didn't get to it.

Now about the Kuoritates, I particularly disagree with rendering them with only one huge city. I think the original conception that describes them as a confederation of great cities, along with a specific ruler for each (but still with Cardith as their leader), should be kept.
Hmm, I'll think I'll re-read their civ history to see if it should be better represented.

thewyrm, did you see the more recent version with all civs filled in?...

If you refer to the file attached to the first post, I re-downloaded it, and the evil civs remain blank. Have I missed its true location, or was there perhaps an uploading error?

I downloaded the new link and I like the way you weaved some of my stuff in it fits perfectly.

I can't wait to DM Perpentach.

this is going to be very handy. for a suggestion: how about a section primarily on religion. maybe just covering the big five (or six, i forget). and maybe you could put in which domains are common in each. thats 3.5, for fourth maybe make up a power unique to each religion?

Nikis, I think the map could do with being clearer. For example, there appears to be two Sidar starting locations.

Er, I would say the race of Luichurp to be Gnomes, imho

Yeah, that would be a good use for gnomes and consistent with Kael's original version. I actually had two people ask to play gnomes, I should have just made that adjustment for their sake.
However, I prefer to keep them Dwarves. I think it makes Dwarves a more interesting race to have more than one large culture, and it is consistent with what we have in the Civ game.
All in all, I encourage you to make such changes if they make sense to you.

I've uploaded a map on the first post--is a quick MS Paint map better than a quick Civ mini-map croping?
Anyway, anything else that this could use? I'm considering fleshing out a DM's guide, but it's low priority since I think anyone motivated to DM probably has a good grasp of the characters' secrets already.

Top Bottom