Europe Map please!

Thanks for posting here, Trip.

If you could, I would like resources distributed real-world style, wine in France, oil in arabia and scandinavian seas, etc. and the number of resources to be the approximate amount as an equal sized randomly generated map. A little bit more resources should be given to civs with cramped starting locations.

edit: Also a "bare" map would be good for some people to make scenarios.

Right now the map has no resources on it (I think) so I can easily release two versions, one with resources and one without.

Trip said:
Sorry guys, you'll have to be patient. It needs to be cleared by marketing first.

In the meantime, I can give some info and try to cater to some requests.

The map is 100x73 plots and includes everything from mid-Scandinavia down to Cairo and from a little ways past Portugal to the edge of the Persian Gulf. Do people want the map to be fully playable with all resources? Should the resources be balanced so every start is equal. Do people want to see the max 18 civs in historical start locations? I'll make the release version here based on what most people want.

Heh. How do you put Incas in historical locations in Europe? :crazyeye: Anyways my vote goes for realism in regards to everything.

No Incans, but changing the names of the civs and that sort of thing within the WBS by itself is quite easy... the leaderheads will just look a little funny. ;)

Trip said:
Right now the map has no resources on it (I think) so I can easily release two versions, one with resources and one without.

Sounds great Trip, and thanks. :goodjob: Putting up both sounds like the best idea. Also if you change the civs to match European ones sounds good too. Can't wait to see it! ;)

Like I said, might be a little while before it's put up, so don't get too anxious yet... someone may pre-empt me if it takes too long. ;)

I'm working on one as well, I attached a screen shot showing rome, but if you look at the mini-map you can see the extent. I had make a program to shift the whole world just to get room for the persians. I'm going to make 2 versions: a scenario with carthage/rome/egypt/persians/greece already built up, and a free map with historical start locations( Except for those not in the region). I also managed to get enough of england in the picture :).

Nearly finished with Italty and France regions.
Finished Spain, and Egypt.

That garbage you see in Germany and Russia won't be there :).

Removed map, because I'm going to post a finished one tomorrow (Hopefully).

Hahaha.

After checking I found 3 of them. Could've been worse, those 6 rivers in Spain (3 of which are pretty long) could've been all backwards!

Trip said:
No Incans, but changing the names of the civs and that sort of thing within the WBS by itself is quite easy... the leaderheads will just look a little funny. ;)

Ah, yes. You know Montezuma does remind me of an average Scottish chav now that I think about it. :D

wolfman1234 said:
IMHO the starting location of the resources in real life are very important, i.e. Punic Wars were fought (besides political matters) for the control of iberian metal mines.

And if you put the real locations for resources , that will help for the developing of future scenarios. Caucasian oil, german iron, spanish metals and horses....

Seconded. No wait... Fourthed?

In Europe maps for Civ3, liberties were taken with geographical accuracy to improvegameplay. In other words, central Europe was made bigger than it would be on a real map, to give more room for cities and resources and strategy. With fewer cities, isn't this still an important consideration in creating a map?

To stay SF&B in the new Civ4 map limits, how should this be handled?

i don't know, north africa looks far too big compared to the small bit that is scandinavia.

Africa is BIG compared to Scandinavia. That map should be fairly accurate, the centerpoint is the exact centerpoint of the google earth screenshot I took it from ;)

Besides, even if Scandinavia is a bit small, there's never been much action there, when compared to West/Central europe & Mediterranean.

Well part of the issue I see with Scandanavia is the eventual inclusion of Norse or Viking civs. If you only include enough of it so that one has all of the British Isles, then you have the Vikings shoe-horned in right at the top of the map. There are also issues of how amber, tin etc flowed out of those areas during ancient times.

You want North Africa at minimum so that one can include the Carthaginians and if you're going to include North Africa then you should probably include enough of it so that one can include Egypt as well.

Note: After studying hi-res topographical maps for a few days, one has to wonder WHAT was Hannibal thinking trying to take elephants over the Alps? :)

Just to keep people from wandering off ;), here's the HeightMap I used for my version of Europe.

Attachments

• EuropeHeightMap.jpg
    EuropeHeightMap.jpg
    228.4 KB · Views: 387
Trip said:
Just to keep people from wandering off ;), here's the HeightMap I used for my version of Europe.
But wait.. that's in 1.3x1 scale, isn't it? The way I understand, it has to be 1.6x1, otherwise civ will crash?

Also, could you include maybe 2-3 pixels more to the north? Just enough for units to walk between Sweden/Finland, as it wouldn't be much of a bother to make (unless you're using the WB already).

Ok, another question to throw out there for opinions. I'm working on a Europe map that includes the Black Sea. In CivIV, you can't navigate diagonals between land like you could in CivII. Thus, one either has to choose:

1) A water-based connection between the Black and Aegean Seas which as a result prevents land-based movement.

or/

2) A land-based setup involving a river connecting the two most likely. This solution obviously prevents naval units from moving from one sea to the other and effectively cuts off the Black Sea.

Personally, I would like to see the ability for naval vessels to actually move from the Mediterranean up into the Black Sea and vice versa. Any other opinions?

ShroudedMist said:
Ok, another question to throw out there for opinions. I'm working on a Europe map that includes the Black Sea. In CivIV, you can't navigate diagonals between land like you could in CivII. Thus, one either has to choose:

Well, if you have a one tile land connection a city can be built on it and naval units can pass through the city, right? That makes sense, as the person who controlled the city controlled the strait. You might want to start a civ there though to make sure a city is built.

Top Bottom