1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Ever Been Nuked By the AI?

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by Flexmaster, Oct 18, 2002.

1. sabo

sabo My Ancestors were Vikings

I have also been nuked but the AI and it was BEFORE I could build nukes myself. Funny think is he only had on ICBM and used it on me. After that all the other civs nukes him, there is a link to screen shots I posted earlier in this thread

2. Praetorian

Praetorian I came I bought I played!

You should feel flattered :lol:

3. Darzee

Darzee Chieftain

Actually, the USA never used nuclear weapons on Japan, we used atomic bombs.

4. AJ2086

AJ2086 Chieftain

I have nuked other civs like crazy, they never returned a nuke. But the little polution monitor thingy turned bright red and I had to wait for all this global warming crap.

5. etj4Eagle

etj4Eagle ACME Salesman

umm... atomic bombs are nuclear weapons. They are fission based nuclear weapons (as opposed to the city buster nuclear fusion based weapons, which use a fission device as a primer).

6. Chairman Yang

Chairman Yang Member

Fusion you mean...?

7. etj4Eagle

etj4Eagle ACME Salesman

Nope our current generation of fusion warheads require a fission device to create the high temperature and pressure needed for the fusion reaction. This is why fusion weapons are still dirty. A pure fusion device would not leave any radioactive fallout, but that technology is still to be developed.

8. Chairman Yang

Chairman Yang Member

Interesting...Then I guess its quite a while before we have quantum- and singularity-reactors around.

9. Magus Maximus

Magus Maximus Chieftain

I was nuked by the AI but only after i had launched my ICBM. Even though It wasnt my ICBM target that nuked me.

After I released my first nuke, all civs went bezerk and started launching nukes like crazy. Now my game got to a point that almost every turn I can hear the sound of someone launching one of thier little toys.

BTW I wish there was a way to tell who is lauching the nukes so we can declare war on them like the AI does do us.

I noticed to that the AI doesnt nuke a random target. It goes after an important resource. Like in the first time i got nuked they got my city that had aluminum. And all other nukes after that went to the same place (but by then I had the SDI)

hmmm for some reason i got more then 10 global warming changes...

10. Rammstein

Rammstein Barely hominid

So how much does the integrated defence wonder help?

In civ2, I very often got nuked by an ai on the same basis that they did everything else: completely at random and with little or no thought to the after-effects (me wiping them clean off the face of the Earth).

11. Magus Maximus

Magus Maximus Chieftain

I dont know about everyone else, but for me it does wonders :p
    After I built it no more nukes were able to hit me. And I'm talking about more than 10 ICBMs

12. etj4Eagle

etj4Eagle ACME Salesman

Yep when you use nuclear weapons, every civ that is not currently allied with you declares war on you on behalf of the victim civ. Now you don't have to worry about declaring war with those civ's that have nuked you, as you are already at war with them. Of course there is the slight issue of wanting to know how to take out first, but for that look for the civ that can mass produce nukes the fastest. Also a spy is very useful for learning which civs have nukes before you use them.

Of course in the nuclear age, it is often a very good idea to try to hold of your war till you get the SDI wonder built, that way 75% of those inbound nukes will be destoryed.

EDIT: Added in the forgotten "NOT" A very important typo, since that was what I was trying to get across

13. Magus Maximus

Magus Maximus Chieftain

Actually what I meant by wanting to know who used the nukes was when the AI's civs r nuking each other.

And is not true (at leats in my games) that if u use a nuke all ur allies will declare war on u. Of course by allies I mean those civs which I made an military allicance with. Even after releasing several nukes on our common enemy, they (my allies) were still polite and one of them (korea) was even gracious!!

But every other civ that u dont have any alliances will declare war so u must use the nukes wisely (if u can call nuking a city and killing thounsands of ppl a wise thing at all :o )

14. MC4K

MC4K Persian Immortal

i have found that the ai seem to be totaly happy about using nukes as long as i have used them first. i went to war wiv the russians, and used nukes on them, then they nuked me back. about 20-25 turns after that war had ended i went to war wiv the greeks who did not hesitate about using nukes on me straight away. my allies, the zulus and iq... what every they are called, used nukes on the greeks also straigh away it seemed.

the world decended into a nuclear mess after 2 or 3 turns after the russians got involved and the zulus declared war on everyone on the map!

this in a game wiv everything exept domination victory disabled, which may hav summin to do wiv it.

the iq.... guys didnt seem to have any problem wiv me using nukes on the greeks, zulus or russians since they stayed gracious towards me throughout the whole war.

btw, a massive nuke war really sucks :crazyeye: global warming EVERYWHERE!

15. Karstedt

Karstedt Warlord

I was in a game where the Aztec were the juggernaut and my niegbors. I hade been building tactical nukes hoping it would sissuade them from attacking me. They demanded the nuke tech, and I had to say no... they attacked. I nuked every border city and a stack of his attack force, and every other country declared war on me (this was like 6 turns into the war when it was obvious I was gonna lose unless I used the nukes). Germany then sent 3 ICBMS at me. I got overrun buy the rest of the world... and they were initially my allies against the evil Aztecs too!

Morale: Just because you are in a world war, and everyone is on your side... doesn't mean it's ok to use nukes.

16. etj4Eagle

etj4Eagle ACME Salesman

Oops forgot the not in my statement. What I had meant to say was that any civ that is allied with you will still remain allied with you. Only the neutral civ's will suddenly declare war on you.

17. etj4Eagle

etj4Eagle ACME Salesman

double post

18. cromagnon

cromagnon Emperor

I haven't yet had a game go through the modern age where I could actually build nukes, so my civ III experience is nil. It seems to me that compared to the prior 2 Civ games, the nuke has been toned down significantly, in that military units have a 50% chance of survival. Besides the evil pleasure of nuking, there really seems to be no point in using them any more.

Of course, I may be biased a bit, since my most recent nuking experience was in SMAC. I still remember being totally astounded at the extent of destruction my singularity planetbuster wreaked on the Gaians. It still brings a smile to my face...:evil:

19. etj4Eagle

etj4Eagle ACME Salesman

Yeah those planet buster weapons were nasty little buggers, especially when they were outfitted with singularity reactors. Don't just whipe their cities out, utterly destroy the land as well. :)

20. cromagnon

cromagnon Emperor

OK, I can now add my name to the 'have been nuked list.'

Those snotty Frogs launched an ICBM against one of my cities in the middle of our war (which they started). Interestingly, it was not a particularly large or productive city (it was still near the core). The only redeeming value in nuking it that I can see is that I had 16 workers next to it reporting for pollution cleanup duty. I guess they never made it...:(

The other unfortunate thing is that as they launched, America declared war on me because they had a MPP. I had just (2 turns ago) made peace with them. :p 3 of the other 4 AI civs were already at war with me, so any thoughts about looking for sympathy from those quarters were immediately struck from my mind. I haven't dared hold UN elections, what with all these wars rampaging. :(