Everybody's Unique Unit: The Marine

I haven't posted my DMZ strategy yet. I'm new to this, and i don't know how. This is acopy of it. tell mewhat you think.
The Demilitarized Zone strategy: Why you may need it, and proper places to build one.

Maybe the best known DMZ in the world is the Korean DMZ. A DMZ is simply a long line of fortifications separating two borders. I’ve used them if I believe an enemy might invade some of my colonies. #1 thing you ALWAYS must do when building a DMZ is keep it in a defensible area, and make sure you can get reinforcements, and support units to the DMZ as quickly as possible.
The quickest way to build a DMZ is to create a large group of workers. Simply have all the workers make one fortress at a time. You should have the fortress finished pretty quickly. Its also pretty smart to make the forts barricades, just in case. Also, build radar towers, and airfields nearby.
Then fortify your defenses with any kind of units you want. I use 3 Mech. Infantry units, 1 TOW infantry unit, and 2 radar artillery units (per fort). Also keep a good powerful counter attack force available nearby. For this, I wold use an army of Modern Armor, and some TOW infantry as an air assault (Helicopter soldiers/ Air cavalry) force. Your goal is to either stop the enemy’s attack completely, or delay them until you can hit them with a counter attack.
Once all this is finished, you should have a good, powerful, defense for colonies, or your home ground. Some of my friends have not really used this strategy (they think wars are won by sheer numbers), but if you use this right this can actually be a great way to shatter an enemy’s forces before you begin your offensive. If you can, ride the momentum of the offensive all the way to the enemy’s capitol if you can. After having expended their forces in a futile attack, the enemy won’t be able to counter attack your forces. Hope you like the strategy, tell me if it makes sense.- 502nd PIR Death From Above!

well thats it. Thanks for reading that, and please tell me if you have any improvments. (P.S. Death from above was the motto of the 502nd Paratrooper Infantry Regiment. At least i think it is.)

Here is an example for the use of marines to those who still doubt:

Modern age AI have just got modern armor but are in love with the self-made modern infantry (20/18/1) (I love infantry but regular infantry in modern age just pointless used modern paratrooper and accidentally left airdrop command:):):):):)) and mech inf. At war with Russia she has her first four cities in a peninsula with one on a one square neck connecting to the Main continent bombarded Moscow into dust with AEGIS cruisers and took it with marines. Took the 45ish Modern armor that I had (already beaten game in mid industrial by cultural victory future tech 3ish) used the modern armor unloaded in the port and used the RR/neutral RR to capture a airport city then repeated with the other 2 then bombarded the one hex connecting the last city to the rest of :nuke:ICBMed:nuke: Russia till it couldn't be reinforced the airlifted heavy MA/MI and Modern Infantry and other bad a**ed military hardware and then my Carrier task forced dropped it plane load at the bottleneck city and kicked Russian A**

:lol: :nuke: :lol:

I dont use Marines much, usually only if the AI has 1 tile island cities and I'm mopping up. I dont find the AI using them much either, except for one game where I had the Inca on the ropes and had removed their Oil, Rubber and Horses. The AI's fave build seems to be Infantry, or Rilfleman, or Guerilla. The only AI that does employ this kind of tactic is Scandinavia with the Berserk and its annoying.
My normal tactic is to dump a huge pile of defensives on a hill or something with attack troops under them, let the AI pound away at the defenders then take the city. It can be a hard slog if the AI has railroad because they tend to shunt a pile of defenders into place. I know the AI is aware of the military strength of every tile on the map. So moving troops around without being seen is effectively impossible. I'm just wondering if this could stop AI moving defenders into cities. Stop the convoy just outside his cultural border, preferably within striking distance of two or more cities, then on the next turn DOW and hit the city of choice. Its also very useful for flat terrain.

Since we've revived an old thread, I still don't see the point of Marines. If you want to invade cities with marines, it's almost surely a conquest or domination game. I don't see much need for a conquest or domination game to even get to Marines. Buy armies and use artillery well. In space games, Amphibious War comes as an optional tech... so why research it? I don't see making up that time in more cities. If you traded for Amphibious War, you almost surely don't want to go to war with a tribe that has Amphibious War or will soon, so only the weaker tribes will have it. I don't see a need for marines when invading weaker tribes.

marines are shock troops not campaign troops. they are meant to attack, hit hard, be reinforced and then redeployed to the homeland, or used as garrison troops for the newly captured cities.

I find using Marine Armies to take a city more attractive than landing next to the city on a hill/mountain(if there is one.) A Marine Army can take down a veteran MI with 3/4 hit points. which means I can take a city without any losses, and if I can clear roads/plant forests I can stay on the offensive because they can't reach me. Better yet if I can draw their initial mass attack to a distant unit landed out of reach the turn before.

Top Bottom