Exo-Planets Map Pack?

Lord Tirian

Erratic Poster
So... curiosity strikes me: has anybody had a look at the Exo-Planets map pack yet? Any good? What are missing if we don't have it?

(I can't actually try it out, because Amazon messed up my delivery, so I cancelled and got it from GMG, but lost my pre-order bonus because of it :( )

So what is different about these to make them a dlc? Has anyone tried them. The ones you get in the preorder.

I want to know how different they are, or if they are simple rules for generating the map. I'm kind of hoping they will have unique textures to them or something. Since they are on different planets.

You might actually have it, there listed under advanced worlds and there are a lot of them.

I can't find them. I got the code with my game, redeemed it on Steam, steam says I've downloaded it, but can't find them when I start a new game.

Setup game, you get to choose planet you see 3 worlds, random world and advanced world, click advanced and you should see a list of 10 worlds. 6 of them or so are the preorder. Can't remember which ones are the preorder. If you are not seeing them create a support ticket were ever you preordered and go start playing while you wait for that to sort itself out.

The Kepler map is actually really nice. In terms of landmasses it's very similar to the large islands map type in Civ 5. There are five or six large landmasses, with smaller ones scattered around them. I was lucky enough to be on a landmass with no other humans on it, and I just settled it like crazy.

I have a screen shot here - it was mainly to show off that I got a lot of Firaxite from one city, but I used the starting thing that showed the coastlines of the planet so it give you a general idea of how the world looks:

http://i.imgur.com/s3THLxe.jpg

Moderator Action: Merged DLC maps into Exo Planets Map Pack thread.

The Alpha Centauri one is just mostly desert - that's the one I've tried. It seems to have a lot of aliens, mainly wolf beetles and siege worms; manticores are rarer and reapers apparently absent.

It's a continents map with, in my playthrough, two main landmasses and only a very small number of islands (in fact I only saw one). Why it has water at all when, if the planet exists at all, it's going to be far too hot to support water (or, indeed, aliens), is not clear.

The Alpha Centauri one is just mostly desert - that's the one I've tried. It seems to have a lot of aliens, mainly wolf beetles and siege worms; manticores are rarer and reapers apparently absent.

It's a continents map with, in my playthrough, two main landmasses and only a very small number of islands (in fact I only saw one). Why it has water at all when, if the planet exists at all, it's going to be far too hot to support water (or, indeed, aliens), is not clear.

You mean it's not a realistic representation of Alpha Centauri the actual planet ? Scandal ! :rolleyes:

You mean it's not a realistic representation of Alpha Centauri the actual planet ? Scandal ! :rolleyes:

A realistic representation of it would be an empty map because the planet probably doesn't exist...

Given how many exoplanets are out there, and how many are fairly well-characterised in terms of their likely properties, it's a shame they didn't do something more interesting with the concept of an exoplanets map pack - and if you choose one too hot to have liquid water and just have an all-dry map, what's wrong with that? It's something different.

The only planet that's advertised as having a feature inspired by actual planet characteristics is the idea of making Mu Arae f tidally locked. Shame there's no such planet as Mu Arae f, and if there were it would be far too far from the star to be tidally locked (the furthest known planet is Mu Arae e, which is more than 5 AU from the star).

I've played 2 games on the exoplanet pack. The first was on the one with little water and lots of tectonic features, like canyons and mountains. The game started me in the middle of flat tundra and I fell behind quickly. There were lots of chokepoints and little 1 or 2 tile lakes, no oceans. I would play this again for the most challenge, since boats aren't very fun in this game.

The second one was on the one with wildlands on the equator. There were 2 continents and all the factions landed north or south of the wildlands.

Top Bottom