Exodus of the Evangelists

To OP: As many have commented the GPP are situational but may help you to snatch one of the lasr GP if still available when entering classical.

The only issue is that you need them (GPs) to do something for non-religion founders. What if they auto-built a holy site? That might be neat.

I’d LOVE having additional GP may help you to fight for control of existing religions, or generate schisms (e.g. avoid the nonsense of having three christian religions and allow instead the different branches appear by schism)

I think it will work if New GP allowed you to fill a belief slot. For religions with not complete belief system you could (by triggering the GP in a holy site of a city with that religion) either fill one of the empty slots (and gain control of the religion if you filled one more than the founder), or fill one of the slots already covered, leading to a schism. Schism strenght would depend on how many of the three belief slots remain of the preexisting religion and will determine how many of your cities following that geligion get inmediately converted: from all 1/1 to 1/3. Religion icon is kept, but a new color is chosen. Missionaries and apostles would have a reduced strenght against the “heretic” religion, but inquisitors would increase it (in case you are the religion owner and want to reset a belief set by other player, it will work in a similar way, but in this case you may influence all players but the one who set the belief, and you’ll be considered the orthodox religion - keep colors, benefit from inquisitors, and the player who set the belief eould be the “heretic” branch.

To OP: As many have commented the GPP are situational but may help you to snatch one of the lasr GP if still available when entering classical.

I’d LOVE having additional GP may help you to fight for control of existing religions, or generate schisms (e.g. avoid the nonsense of having three christian religions and allow instead the different branches appear by schism)

I think it will work if New GP allowed you to fill a belief slot. For religions with not complete belief system you could (by triggering the GP in a holy site of a city with that religion) either fill one of the empty slots (and gain control of the religion if you filled one more than the founder), or fill one of the slots already covered, leading to a schism. Schism strenght would depend on how many of the three belief slots remain of the preexisting religion and will determine how many of your cities following that geligion get inmediately converted: from all 1/1 to 1/3. Religion icon is kept, but a new color is chosen. Missionaries and apostles would have a reduced strenght against the “heretic” religion, but inquisitors would increase it (in case you are the religion owner and want to reset a belief set by other player, it will work in a similar way, but in this case you may influence all players but the one who set the belief, and you’ll be considered the orthodox religion - keep colors, benefit from inquisitors, and the player who set the belief eould be the “heretic” branch.
I love the idea of a schism mechanic. Love love love love love.

Of course, it'll never happen. But man. Man.

If I've gone for a religion, I will either have it or not before this comes available. However, maybe difficulty level affects this a lot? I play either emperor or immortal and perhaps great prophet points remain relevant for longer if you play at a lower difficulty.

I haven't played in the higher difficulties but on Prince, Exodus of the Evangelists + Revelation is pretty much a guaranteed Religion even if you never invested into Holy Sites in Ancient Era, a move that puts you behind in the Great Prophet race. That's how I won my very 1st game in R&F as the Cree, Religious Victory. In my Korea game that followed I've even founded a Religion in Medieval with said Dedication when I noticed the Al's unusual reluctance to get Great Prophet points.

Speaking of a schism mechanic, Reformation belief was added much later in Civ5's development. So let's have hopes for that one.

Often when I play as America I create my own 'religion' and name it "Free market capitalism" and enjoy spreading it around. This leads me to think that there is a possible idea here in the spreading of political and economic beliefs via Great Merchants, etc. What does the board think?

Top Bottom