Exodus of the Evangelists

GimliLegolas

Chieftain
Can anyone explain what is going on here? The civilopedia entry states that newly trained missionaries, apostles and inquisitors gain 2 charges and 4 Great Prophet points. If you are able to make religous units, you already have a religon so why do you need GP points?

Yes, it generally comes too late for the GP points to be useful. I did once use it to clinch the last GP. The additional charges can be pretty powerful though.

The GPP is to also allow you to use it to getting a religion (assuming it's still available), as the dedication as a whole is simply religion victory focused. This makes sure you always get use out of it towards a religious victory (unless of course all religions are gone, in which case why would you take it?).

Does anyone think there may be plans to add Great Prophets throughout the game, even after all the religions are founded?

I've never understood the GPP. I would never, ever risk taking Exodus if I didn't already have a religion. Now, if they added the ability to gain extra great prophets that could do cool stuff (or even moved evangelize/start inquisition to them instead of apostles, and buffed apostles to be Super Missionaries) that would be amazing.

Of course, I also think the number of allowed religions in the game is too low and should be increased by at least 2 per map size.

Does anyone think there may be plans to add Great Prophets throughout the game, even after all the religions are founded?

I'd posit that this was the original intent for the vanilla game, and got changed during playtesting. I suspect they chose to give to the Apostles, via the Evangelize Belief ability, the purpose originally planned for additional Great Prophets.

If I'm right about the above, then it's unlikely that they will put more Great Prophets back into the game. If so, I would still like to see the developers create a use for Great Prophet Points that last throughout the game. Technically, all great people points have the same issue, it's just that the Great Prophet Points obsolete so much earlier than the others, it's much more noticeable.

I've never understood the GPP. I would never, ever risk taking Exodus if I didn't already have a religion. Now, if they added the ability to gain extra great prophets that could do cool stuff (or even moved evangelize/start inquisition to them instead of apostles, and buffed apostles to be Super Missionaries) that would be amazing.

Of course, I also think the number of allowed religions in the game is too low and should be increased by at least 2 per map size.
Seems like it could be easy. After all of the religions get "built" the GPP make apostles instead.

I'd posit that this was the original intent for the vanilla game, and got changed during playtesting. I suspect they chose to give to the Apostles, via the Evangelize Belief ability, the purpose originally planned for additional Great Prophets.

If I'm right about the above, then it's unlikely that they will put more Great Prophets back into the game. If so, I would still like to see the developers create a use for Great Prophet Points that last throughout the game. Technically, all great people points have the same issue, it's just that the Great Prophet Points obsolete so much earlier than the others, it's much more noticeable.
They could make it so that additional GP's are needed to evangelize one's religion rather than an apostle. That way earning them gives them purpose and frees up the apostles for conversions.

They could make it so that additional GP's are needed to evangelize one's religion rather than an apostle. That way earning them gives them purpose and frees up the apostles for conversions.
The only issue is that you need them (GPs) to do something for non-religion founders. What if they auto-built a holy site? That might be neat.

In my first RF game I picked it when I didnt have a religion. The other offered dedications seemed very weak and useless to me, so I said myself ehm, let's try to get one of the last religions, that may be of at least some use.
And it worked.
Even when I was playing as Zulu and had originally no plans to get a religion. Btw the prophet had to wait a looooong time for a joly site to be really able to start the religion.

It can make sense as sometimes the last religions can go late.

What is absurd is Hagia Sophia giving Great Prophet points.

I think I got a Golden Classical era in my last game and used the +4 GP points to help me get a religion - I would probably have gotten it anyway, but it was convenient. It's rare but not completely useless.

What I don't understand is why they've limited the number of religions so severely in Civ6. Unlike Civ5, where wiping out a religion was virtually impossible (if you didn't eliminate founder civ first), eliminating a religion is very much possible in Civ6. Hence, the need to limit religions is much less prevalent - in fact, the new game features and religious victory seem to cater to a setting where you don't limit the number of religions to encourage conflicts between religions. So I think there should be more GP available with more options for a late founded religion, which would also make this bonus much more meaningful.

They wanted people to race for the great prophets. In practice, this just makes religion a terrible investment unless you conquer holy sites. It's also hilariously broken on smaller maps. It'd probably be nice to increase it to more.

They wanted people to race for the great prophets. In practice, this just makes religion a terrible investment unless you conquer holy sites. It's also hilariously broken on smaller maps. It'd probably be nice to increase it to more.
Now that the first expansion is out and I'm obsessively playing the game, you can safely bet that I'll be doing a simple "Duuk's Overly Cramped Maps Mod" since I prefer playing smaller maps. It'll feature the resource and religion calculations of larger maps on smaller sized maps (obviously with piles of civs and city states) for people like me that like to sit down and play a start to finish game in 2 to 4 hours.

The most ridiculous thing about Exodus of the Evangelists is when I saw the Kongo clearly had chosen it during their golden age, as they were earning GPP for reasons beyond comprehension.

The most ridiculous thing about Exodus of the Evangelists is when I saw the Kongo clearly had chosen it during their golden age, as they were earning GPP for reasons beyond comprehension.

(1) Pick Kongo. (2) Pick Exodus of the Evangelist and earn a great prophet. (3) Conquer a Russian city with a Lavra (4) Found a religion.

Really curious if this would work.

In other instances where Kongo might get a Great Prophet (Stonehenge), they get an apostle instead.

It can make sense as sometimes the last religions can go late.

What is absurd is Hagia Sophia giving Great Prophet points.
If you capture Hagia Sophia though this would accelerate your own religon.

As for Exodus of the Evangelists it sounds useful if you were on the cusp of founding a religion and spreading it in the same era. It might be a bit situational.

If you capture Hagia Sophia though this would accelerate your own religon.

As for Exodus of the Evangelists it sounds useful if you were on the cusp of founding a religion and spreading it in the same era. It might be a bit situational.

Or if you were pushing for an early RV. I used it in my one and only religious victory and it seemed to be the best choice even if I wasn't using half of the ability.

I've used it in the past to found a religion. The 4 points can be a pretty big deal if you have a golden age in the Classical era and are trying to get one of the remaining Prophets. If you're sure you'll get a religion, it frees up the wildcard slot I normally use for Revelation at that stage.

Top Bottom