Expanded role of guilds for combat

sputnik323

Magelord
I have mentioned this concept in other forums, so I will give a brief background for anyone else who would like to contribute.

Guilds in the past served a very real defensive function to the cities and towns they existed in. They protected their trade and money with force - much like the drug cartels of today. So if anyone has ideas how to bring out the weaponized aspects of the corporations in orbis...

Idea from FF promotions:

Three-field order – Gains access to the Master Rancher promotions since they are familiar with animals and how to work them

Bank of Vivaldi – reduce units upkeep (Idea from A Golden Dragon)

Hansa – Access to the Master Fletcher promotions - since they have access to goods from far and wide

Prospector’s Guild – Access to the Master Smith promotions - they have the best metals

Globe troupe – this corp is kind of the corp of weenies j/k :p - maybe increase espionage points?

Circle of transmuters – Maybe add some Master promotions for gunpowder units?

Order of Arches – Give the units of this corp the ability to sacrifice themselves and cost money to build stronger city walls?

Intricate Weavers – Maybe the FF masters promotions that deal with some of the armor promotions would be good here... not too sure?

Circle of Eight - New promotions that give units magic weapons, Like wizards cloaks, staves, ect that do extra spell damage or give affinity to mana types ect.

Guild of the Nine - none, they already play their part in war ... big time

Ratcatchers Guild - access to the Master Outfitter promotions

Smugglers ports - access to upgraded ship promotions? - Silk sails? Copper Hulls? upgraded cannons?

Since these promotions take gold rather than XP I see them as extremely valuable and cool to make gold even that much more important. "My soldiers need better weapons, guess I better demand more gold from that putz Cardith Lorda!"

@A Golden Dragon - very true, soldiers that keep their gold in the bank would allow for the wealth of the empire and corp to grow, which could be seen as less upkeep.

@Jabie - propaganda is likely expressed in the way this corp expands culture (i was kinda joking in calling them weenies). Maybe this corp/guild could increase espionage? Mixed with ratcatchers would be a powerful espionage system... both the underground organization of ratcatchers (not seen) and a "front" hidden agenda organization out in the open mixing with powerful people who come to watch them perform.

Ships are neglected in the FF promotions. I think it would be good to add a few there. Especially since ship equipment can make a big impact on how the ship functions. Maybe these promotions could be bought at a smugglers port? I have been thinking of ship promotions and mage promotions since FF doesn't have any. I'll post some ideas on these promotions when I have time. Or other ideas would be welcome.

@Ahwaric - I know you said you only want a few promotions attached to guilds... the problem with the Masters FF promotions is that they are based on tech (so there is a lot of them). For example, the upgraded bronze weapons are attached to bronze working. If you wanted fewer promotions maybe they could just be combined to upgraded weapons? or something like that. I just thought it would be more difficult to make a bunch of new promotions rather than just steal the ones others have coded.

@Ahwaric - I know you said you only want a few promotions attached to guilds... the problem with the Masters FF promotions is that they are based on tech (so there is a lot of them). For example, the upgraded bronze weapons are attached to bronze working. If you wanted fewer promotions maybe they could just be combined to upgraded weapons? or something like that. I just thought it would be more difficult to make a bunch of new promotions rather than just steal the ones others have coded.

maybe you could have an upgrade for something like "Cannons+" and with bronze weapons it gives one effect and with Iron it gives another (The issue with that example is that Bronze Cannons are actually better) or if you have duskwood, it could give the ship +1:move: (representing the fact that a lighter ship moves faster) or better sails with different resources

Since Valkrionn is creating a siegesmith I think those promotions would fit well with Order of Arches

i like it when im able to in ff sacrifice great engineers but what would happen if you cant get any of those make it like a national wonder thats available through an event thats triggered when you say get an axeman up to lvl 12 you can make providing you have access to a lot of metal get a master smith?
+engineers have nothing to do with ranching and fletching

Top Bottom